The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Default I've changed my mind about overtones!

I have thought that I liked guitars without all that fuss of overtones. So I like lots of fundamental and not anything else. But I was playing my Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop last night and started to wonder. I really love this guitar - it is literally a cherry plywood box with only two braces in the whole thing and a bolt on maple neck. I have shaped a rosewood bridge for it and it wears 13-56 monel strings that are at least 18 months old.

As I was was playing it I was hearing a complexity to its timbre. It has a very distinctive timbre, which can be like a rich velvet if I play it right. I have always thought that this guitar had limited overtones but, if that is so, then what is shaping the timbre?

So I guess that this particular guitar is actually very rich in overtones and they are moulding the timbre to give that velvet sound. The guitar can sound like I'm playing it through a valve amp when I'm just playing it through a mic' on stage.

Anyway, I have just recorded the above clip this morning. Please excuse the playing - I'm both not very good and my fingers have that morning arthritis stiffness that I guess many of us here suffer from!!!

What are you hearing?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:56 AM

I like this a lot, your playing and the tone. It’s too bad Godin dropped this model, but I guess they weren’t getting enough sales to justify keeping it in production.

I agree with your sentiment in an earlier thread that it really would be nice if someone could fill the mass production archtop market like Harmony and Kay did of old. I know Harmony is back in business (owned by the same group that owns Heritage, and the guitars are made in the same factory—Gibson’s old building in Kalamazoo), but they aren’t offering any acoustics for sale (and from what I can see, neither is Heritage).

I registered for the Harmony mailing list. I also sent them an email suggesting that they get into that market. Fingers crossed…
Old 03-26-2024, 07:34 AM

Robin,
What i am hearing is very pleasing to my ears regardless of “plywood box”!

If I could play that piece as well as you have, I would never apologize!!!

The guitar has great tone attributed with your skill!

Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-26-2024, 08:14 AM

Nice playing! What I'm hearing is a pretty dry (short sustain) guitar with a strong fundamental. It sounds good to my ear, since there is good note clarity and a lot of warmth.

The overall timbre is nice. A lot of guitars with thick, lush overtones are also often too "bright" and "harsh" for my ear, because those overtones add high frequencies (treble) and can clash with the rest of the song, since overtones tend to get more out of tune with the guitar the higher they go.

To me, one of the hallmarks of a really good guitar is having a good balance of harmonic content, but it's a lot easier said than done. A lot of the popular fingerstyle guitars out there just sound harsh and trebly to me, but I guess it sells to players that want lush overtones above all else, or those who really need to spend the money on hearing aids and are buying brighter and brighter guitars to compensate for hearing loss.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
. . . What are you hearing?
What we know or think we know has a huge effect on what we think we hear. So knowing that it's a laminate archtop can't help inform or misinform what I heard.

Having said that, I think Godin is making use of what Gibson, with the hollowbodies in its ES series, and Guild, with its arch-backed D-25, have know for years: A lot of a guitar's sound simply comes from air moving (a.k.a. resonance), not wood vibrating. And an arched back, even plywood, resonates.

I used to have a 1940s Guild ES-150, and it's sound had a lot in common with your Godin: dry and not real loud or sustainful, but pleasant, balanced, bluesy, and highly playable.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I have thought that I liked guitars without all that fuss of overtones. So I like lots of fundamental and not anything else. But I was playing my Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop last night and started to wonder. I really love this guitar - it is literally a cherry plywood box with only two braces in the whole thing and a bolt on maple neck. I have shaped a rosewood bridge for it and it wears 13-56 monel strings that are at least 18 months old.

As I was was playing it I was hearing a complexity to its timbre. It has a very distinctive timbre, which can be like a rich velvet if I play it right. I have always thought that this guitar had limited overtones but, if that is so, then what is shaping the timbre?
Lol - now THAT'S a testimonial about the longevity of Monel strings!!
Old 03-26-2024, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Lol - now THAT'S a testimonial about the longevity of Monel strings!!
And they have had a lot of playing in that time!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L50EF15 View Post
I like this a lot, your playing and the tone. It’s too bad Godin dropped this model, but I guess they weren’t getting enough sales to justify keeping it in production.

I agree with your sentiment in an earlier thread that it really would be nice if someone could fill the mass production archtop market like Harmony and Kay did of old. I know Harmony is back in business (owned by the same group that owns Heritage, and the guitars are made in the same factory—Gibson’s old building in Kalamazoo), but they aren’t offering any acoustics for sale (and from what I can see, neither is Heritage).

I registered for the Harmony mailing list. I also sent them an email suggesting that they get into that market. Fingers crossed…
I contacted Godin in January to ask if they had any plans to produce an acoustic version of the jumbo bodied 5th Avenue - and they don't. If I was still running Busker Guitars I'd be asking if I could buy a production run of 50 as they basically have the tooling already in place!

Old 03-26-2024, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Robin,
What i am hearing is very pleasing to my ears regardless of “plywood box”
Thank you.... I have Steve DeRosa from AGF to thank for pointing me towards the 5th Avenue.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

The downhill skier looks to have good form. As far as the guitar goes…
I’m hearing a bit of sustain and a warm tone with great note separation. It’s a very pleasing combo. Nice playing.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-26-2024, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Nice playing! What I'm hearing is a pretty dry (short sustain) guitar with a strong fundamental. It sounds good to my ear, since there is good note clarity and a lot of warmth.
I think that you sum up the guitar nicely. It is surprisingly versatile - although my playing isn't that versatile. I'm quite minimalist in my playing - and the guitar reinforces that. It does work nicely for Travis picking with thumb pick and metal finger picks. But it is not a great "strummer" - but neither am I.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
What we know or think we know has a huge effect on what we think we hear. So knowing that it's a laminate archtop can't help inform or misinform what I heard.

Having said that, I think Godin is making use of what Gibson, with the hollowbodies in its ES series, and Guild, with its arch-backed D-25, have know for years: A lot of a guitar's sound simply comes from air moving (a.k.a. resonance), not wood vibrating. And an arched back, even plywood, resonates.

I used to have a 1940s Guild ES-150, and it's sound had a lot in common with your Godin: dry and not real loud or sustainful, but pleasant, balanced, bluesy, and highly playable.
That's an interesting insight Charlie - thanks.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I contacted Godin in January to ask if they had any plans to produce an acoustic version of the jumbo bodied 5th Avenue - and they don't. If I was still running Busker Guitars I'd be asking if I could buy a production run of 50 as they basically have the tooling already in place!
This gives me ideas for business plans for which I don’t have the capital, but I will start a new thread in the Archtop or Builders subforums.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:43 PM

I am not a skilled listener, but I liked your playing.
Mike
Old 03-26-2024, 09:46 PM

Hi Robin,

Nice sound playing! I don’t think I’m hearing a lot of overtones. However, it’s fairly simple to measure your overtones with a spectrum analyzer like the Decibel X app for iPhone.

To illustrate what a spectrum analyzer can do: One rainy day a few years ago, I measured the speaker output of my bass plucking the low E. I was interested in different speakers and the effect of a circuit I was working on. The frequencies of the low E harmonics on a bass are roughly 40, 80, 120, 160, and 200. Most speakers for live sound drop off at about 50Hz, so the analyzer sees 80, 120, 160, and 200. The interesting part was the difference between acoustic speakers, general purpose, and bass guitar speakers. The bass guitar speaker gives a wall of sound with no distinct peaks, and the acoustic speaker (Shertler) had distinct peaks at the anticipated frequencies. The bass guitar’s E predominates at 80 and 160. I could see a bit of an odd harmonic peak from the bass speaker at 120 (a fifth, making a power chord).

TLDR: our brain knows the difference between an E on a bass and an E on the guitar from the mixture of harmonics - the guitar’s E is missing the 120Hz tone, for instance.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion