The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-30-2024, 11:56 AM

Default Restoration project

Hi, all. I have a friend and a colleague who has a beloved Art & Lutherie "Cedar" Dreadnaught that got knocked around that he'd like to be restored to a playable condition. It has sentimental value to him. I do some guitar work in my spare time (mostly setups, string changes, and bridge repairs) until our local guitar shop can figure out their tech situation. They're months behind on even setups. Once they do, I'll go back into my cave.

Anyway, I'm doing this at no cost to him, save my any expense I incur as he's had a rough go of things, recently. On a cursory examination (I haven't looked at the bracing, yet), she's in need of some humidifidation (and likely crack repair along the seam behind the sound hole and bridge and in front of the sound hole), bridge resetting (which is already clean off, it was held on by deformed pins). The fingerboard extension is visibly sunken into the body, and you can see how much with the straightedge as well as the cracks in front of the sound hole (thus, a neck reset may be in order). It also will need some finish work as there is areas of bubbled up paint and deep scratches and dings (I'm waiting to hear if he wants that, or just for it to be playable). I have an email out to Godin for details on the finish (it's painted black), and whether or not it is their integrated neck joint (bolted on heel, neck extension epoxied into the neck block/body support block with the fingerboard extension CVA'd to the top). It was made in September 2007 based on the serial #, and the integrated neck wasn't in all models at that time. Anyway, any thoughts on the best starting place? FYI, the strings we detensioned in the photos. It was the first thing I did.

Here's an image of the integrated neck joint:
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 04-30-2024, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I think you may be expecting to be able to do a lot with a guitar that was probably not made to be repaired.
If you have unlimited time and learning how to repair is something you find fun, this may be worthwhile on that level. But, you're not going to be adding any value. It doesn't look like a player guitar so you may want to consider if this guitar's sentimental value is best served as a wall hanger. And, if the materials cost is better put toward something that will survive not being humidified.

Not trying to sound negative. I'm just not sure if you realize the considerable amount of time it would take to make this guitar playable, not to mention restored.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:08 AM

The guitar appears to have heat damage. The neck block and possibly the upper transverse brace have come loose from the top. You can find a lesson on how to fix that (which will also improve the neck angle) on Frank Ford's website, frets.com.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair