The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Default Martin D-35E Retro - anyone?

Martin Guitars just posted a picture on facebook about their new (?) D-35E retro:

I looked it up on their site and found that the only (non-cosmetical) difference was the top material, which is European spruce instead of Sitka spruce + a slightly different neck + a built-in Fishman Aura pickup.

Does a European spruce sound that much better than regular Sitka? Has anyone tried one of these beauties? I'm jsut curious.

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 02-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Slightly different neck? Its a huge difference to me. 1 3/4 nut width vs 11/16. MLO neck profile instead of the standard chunky neck. And the PA profile taper. More of a Taylor type of neck which I like much better.

As far as tone, someone else would here will know.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 AM

The European Spruce and 1 3/4" nut would help me overcome my hard, fast rule against guitars with holes in the side. I would gladly trade my '05 D-35 and my "spare" '03 OM-35 for one of these in Ambertone. Yes...to me, the Euro-Spruce is a huge deal.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Hey Reflected

I just played one at a Martin show this past Tuesday. I went mainly for the '31 D28A and the HD28e Retro; they had neither. So I played other Authentics and Marquis as well as Custom Shops. Craig Thatcher from Martin showed me the new D35e Retro to try instead. I have to say I was underwhelmed with it sonically but visually and especially playability is was wonderful. The 1 3/4 nut and satin fast neck that plays just as easy up the neck was a joy. I think because I play mostly flesh f/s that the overly warm signature just didn't fit my attack so to speak. I think with a pick and strumming would suit it better. I don't think the Lifespan coated strings helped either in this case. No sparkle in the upper mids and trebs and a bit muddy on the lows. Again for someone else's style it may provide just the right blend. It is wonderfully made tho and the 3-piece back was splendid. Although I played it unplugged I have listened/demo'd at other times to the new F1 Aura+ since I want the HD28 version and I like what I hear. When running thru it on the guitar the system is simple and dials in nicely; not to mention a nice on board tuner.
So depending on your style and taste this may be a good fit for you. I definitely think its worth a serious tryout...
Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
Does a European spruce sound that much better than regular Sitka?
Better? That's a matter of opinion.

Different? Yessir.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Will the guitar primarily be played amplified? If yes it's a fine choice, if no I would get a standard Martin and add removable electronics.

That's a guitar I would want to play against a standard D-35 for feel and sonic differences, know that might be difficult to make happen, but I'm a play before you pay guy who has owned a lot of Martins, they are not all created equal. Best of luck!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-13-2014, 03:45 PM

Does the "Retro" term refer to a previous D-35 with these specs? Just curious.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Does the "Retro" term refer to a previous D-35 with these specs? Just curious.
No, Retro is the latest line of Martin acoustic electrics using Fishman electronics. The difference from the Performing Artist series is the Retro guitars are actual standard series Martins while the PA's have different neck joins and Hybrid X bracing. And the Retros have "retro" images created with very expensive vintage microphones.

So the Retros are traditional Martins with whatever bracing that particular model has, and with what is currently Martin/Fishman's best onboard Aura electronics.

A D-18 Retro is an actual D-18 with electronics. Martin changes the woods on some models and the necks but the bracing (guts) are the same, not hybrid X like the performing artists line.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion