The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-24-2024, 08:52 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

For the most part, binding is cosmetic. I don't think that it really contributes anything to, nor detracts from, the sound of the guitar. As said above, it's more to protect the edges.

My seams are still holding with no gaps at all in the binding. I glued and clamped it very tightly for an extended period of time, so maybe I'll get lucky and it will be a one-and-done issue. Then again, maybe not... we'll see.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I don't know anybody with a time machine. I glue something last night and it looks glued this morning - - - ain't proving nothing. A couple of years, that's a decent argument, but enthusiasm over a 'fix' that ain't had one birthday, no, I don't think that the celebration is warranted.
A couple of years okay, listen up guys....we have a deadline for when things get´s acceptable, anything under 2 years will not do, whats next ?
Old 04-27-2024, 06:14 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Well, not at 2 years yet... but we're at 2 weeks!

Still looks the same. Both waists are still completely sealed with no gaps at all that I can find. As for word choice, 'fixed' is the correct word because at this moment it is, in fact, fixed. No different than if it had come back from an authorized repair center. That said, there are stories of authorized repairs failing down the line, so mine may also. I have no illusions about it. If it fails again, so be it. I followed the process outlined by the more experienced folks.

Until the time comes that it separates again, it is fixed.

I'll try to remember to update this again at 2 months, and then maybe at 1 year. Or, if/when it fails again, I'll update on that, as well.
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

My D18 was purchased by me brand new in October, 2012 and it has been kept properly hydrated all the time I’ve owned it. The binding-separation problem only began to show in 2021 - nine years after the guitar was built. I regard Peter’s suggested time-frame of two years before self-congratulations begin on a ‘fix’ as perfectly reasonable.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
My D18 was purchased by me brand new in October, 2012 and it has been kept properly hydrated all the time I’ve owned it. The binding-separation problem only began to show in 2021 - nine years after the guitar was built. I regard Peter’s suggested time-frame of two years before self-congratulations begin on a ‘fix’ as perfectly reasonable.
Yep. Mine was a 2012, also. My only point is that there is only so much that can be done. I did exactly what was recommended. My understanding is that even some guitars that are 'repaired' by an authorized service center have subsequently failed again, so there are no guaranteed 'fixes'. I did what was within my power to do. That's it.

Not sure why anyone gets hung up on word choices. At this moment, the issue does not exist. It may reappear again. I have no idea if/when it will, but if it does, I'll deal with then. I've said that all along...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair