The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2024, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I saw the hand surgeon today. Surgery on my right hand is cancelled. The hand is doing great. It won’t be needed unless it starts giving me trouble again.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:53 PM

Guys I can't tell you it's going to get any better....but....you can still do it.

I'm not the oldest on the forum but close. 79 next month.
I play 1 to 1 1/2 hours each day. I'm not good but I enjoy it.
I also play golf twice a week (walk).
Run 7 days per week (sorta slowly)
Yoga 7 days per week for an hour

I've been through radiation treatment, several hand surgeries ('get-offs' from racing motorcycles) and the rest of life's ups and downs.

Ya just gotta keep going
Old 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM

The worse thing for me is remembering words . So I forget words then everything gets screwed up . Used to be I could remember everything . Everyday I take Focus Factor , some kind of brain vitamin . Everytime I play out I drink some kind of brain focus drink so I am wired . I know , I know this stuff isn’t good for us ….
Overall my playing is getting better , no pain but my listening is different than everyone else’s . Oh well. I have changed up my music to very basic and simple tunes . People seem to like them . Singing some nights good , some nights not so. I usually drink a lot of water before I play.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

As Mickey Mantle said: “If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself!”

A lot of people haven’t had the luxury of growing old. As I excitedly anticipate the completion of 79 circuits around the sun in about an hour, I’m reading a lot of wisdom on this forum. And before I’m tempted to wallow in a personal pity party,
I’m inspired by some of the courageous AGFers who posted here. Every day is truly a gift.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

I know that I never set guitar my playing/performing sights as high as many of you so at 74 I haven't really fallen that far. I've outlived the age of my father at death by a decade, I enjoy playing guitar to entertain myself and I'm happy to wake up every morning. Looking forward to next week at the beach...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-10-2024, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

I will be starting my 9th decade in June. Never tried guitar until I was in my 70's. I play for just myself, in the comfort and privacy of my own home. Still enjoy it every day.
1982 K. Yairi YW1000 14 fret
Breedlove Oregon Concert 14 Fret
PRS Ten Top
Old 04-10-2024, 11:37 PM

I find my fingers not as responsive and my memory is not as good. I am also finding there is lots more to learn so that is inspiring.

TBman, your music sounds very good . I have enjoyed it much. I think you will continue play wonderful music.

Last edited by mtdmind; 04-11-2024 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:46 PM

Really.......? This is an aging guitarist.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Not a pretty sight. Loss of dexterity, finger stiffness, any glimmer of speed has gone on down the road. My hearing is probably going too, but headphones help cover that up I suppose. Playing nylon almost 100% of the time has helped alleviate a lot of the finger soreness I was getting.

What a kick in the teeth. You work all your life and are now in retirement able to take the time to play any time of the day and now the hands aren't cooperating.

Worse things could happen though. Just another old guy rant
My big reveal of the cost of aging was fumbling a position change while out biking, scared the daylights out of my friend, damaged eye socket, permanently blown pupil ala David Bowie, broken nose, severe concussion.

Fortunately, this tough old girl is still alive, not blinded, didn't fracture neck.

That was early pandemic. I'd already worked out a treatment for osteoarthritis in my chord hand; that's still working well (touch wood). Having returned to guitar at 64, you give me a nice excuse for not shredding .. I've made my peace with that anyway :-). I turned 68 yesterday, have been back to running since early winter, seem build pretty ok guitars, not unhappy with crone stage.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:32 AM

I can't lose what I never had
Old 04-11-2024, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
And yet, I still derive the same measure of joy and satisfaction from playing guitar that I did in my younger days….im grateful for that.
I’m a bit younger than most in here. Love this comment! Really eased my mind, as I tend to worry frequently about my aging hands. Keep on playing!
Old 04-11-2024, 06:15 AM

I always figured music would be my "activity" when I lost the more athletic others that I enjoy. But I forgot about arthritis, which has rearranged my left forefinger's end joint and made it near impossible to play a clean C or Am. I deal with that, but now fear further rearranging of fingers. So far, none.

Three or so years ago, I decided I had enough originals that I really liked for a new CD. That caused me to look at some older recordings that I had done and this drove home the realization that my playing has gone downhill. But I am still learning new things, better improv, for instance. Still.... it's not a net gain.

Now 78, I have Depuyten's Contracture (trigger finger) but so far it does not hurt and goes away by very early morning.

My voice is better than ever. Noticeably. But then my standard was set pretty doggone low when I started. Don't think "enjoyable", think, "bearable".

So the net gain/loss is not too bad. The best is that I enjoy playing every bit as much as ever.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I started playing fingerstyle guitar when I was 60, almost 9 years ago. I love music and it seemed like something I could get better at as I age out of this world. Starting from zero, the plan is working.

I so enjoy sitting, holding the guitar and playing. I'm social, still hike and travel, although yeah, I can't do what I did when I was 60. I certainly see and feel the overall, inevitable decline....

When I'm home, my guitars are my buds. I like playing fingerstyle blues. I'm learning Death Don't have no Mercy.

I feel the for guitar players that have been playing for their entire lives. I saw Jorma Kaukonen in lower Manhattan a few nights ago and he seems to still be enjoying himself.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST

Last edited by Steve-arino; 04-11-2024 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:51 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

My hands and shoulders are good, thankfully.

My lower back, left hip, right foot, and various other areas are highly suspect and cause me issues... but I can still play!

Fingers crossed!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I saw the hand surgeon today. Surgery on my right hand is cancelled. The hand is doing great. It won’t be needed unless it starts giving me trouble again.
Some good news, for a change!!! Way to go, lowrider

Now that I’m slowing down some, I’m very glad that I always went for tone over speed!

I used to tell my bands, “Now slow down boys, we’re not getting paid by the note!“

They say less is more, so play less, but make it count!

Everybody stay healthy, or at least give it your best shot…

And do have fun,

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion