The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2021, 09:39 PM

Default How many of you have a guitar purchase you’re trying to talk yourself out of?

If so, what’s the guitar and why are you trying to keep from buying it?

In my case it’s a Martin 000-28 with an Ambertone finish top that I played and fell in love with. I have the funds to pay for it, but I’m trying to avoid getting yet another guitar when I have fine ones here that aren’t getting played enough.

Man, it’s a great-sounding guitar, though.

How about you? What dream guitar is sitting within your grasp but you’re fighting valiantly to avoid buying?

Just curious.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-06-2021, 09:44 PM

Mine was a Hummingbird, current model. Most fun I’ve ever had picking up a new guitar. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t have picked it up if I had known the price. I probably could have swung it, but the wife wasn’t a huge fan, has been impossibly busy at work for months so there was no good way to discuss it, and I have 3 little ones at home. A $2k guitar, maybe. $3.5k is a big jump.

Anyway, someone else recently bought it, so I guess I was successful? I held off for a good 6 or 8 weeks.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:09 PM

Move a couple that you're just not playing much anymore then you'll feel good about replacing them with one that you will play.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-06-2021, 11:33 PM

I’ve been telling myself not to buy any guitar in general for weeks, that’s how long that lasted.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

I've been all over the place lately. A Hooper, a D-28A 1937, Collings D1ATS, and I'm always on the lookout for Merrills. It never ends. However, it gets tricky now because I'm at 6 guitars, really should try to get down to 5, and if I buy something in the price ranges I'm talking, that means definitely gonna have to sell 1 and maybe 2. That's a place I don't really want to go because I like what I have now. But the temptation to try new things is constant.

*Fighting it*

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 08-07-2021, 12:58 AM

Impossible to talk myself out of it. Once it’s in my head, it’s pretty much a done deal. Best way to talk myself out of it is to never talk myself into it. Getting off this forum would be a good start. That being said, two must go before I have a NGD.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:59 AM

The only one currently that I like the idea of owning but have no business owning is an Eastman Gypsy Jazz guitar. I can't play the genre at all, but do like to try my hand at swing music. Part of the problem is that there aren't any nearby to try as gypsy jazz guitars are very rare to find anywhere. So, not sure I'd like the sound once it was in my hand playing the stuff I play. But, oh, listening to those cats play, is like heaven to me....
Old 08-07-2021, 03:16 AM

I have an unofficial rule (that can be broken at will - lmao)
I have to sell a guitar before buying a additional one.

The electric guitar GAS will probably be rearing its ugly head soon...
when that occurs, the Taylor 416 is next on the chopping block, and
maybe the Gibson J-35 will go after that.

��
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault

Last edited by James_214ce; 08-07-2021 at 03:19 AM. Reason: tastes great, less filling
Old 08-07-2021, 03:37 AM
Charter Member

I get electric guitar gas from time to time, but once I go to GC and play a couple, I realize that I have no use for one.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:35 AM

I recently bought -- and returned -- the same guitar TWICE, as I guess I just needed to do something stupid in order to really decide whether I bonded with it or not.

Actually, my wife issued the final veto when she saw the credit card statement. "Move over, little dog..."

Last edited by Italuke; 08-07-2021 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 08-07-2021, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

So far I've held pretty true to my own rule: "I'll never buy another guitar until the next one."

I resisted an Engelmann/Black Walnut 12 fret SS dread custom build for a few months. I was so smitten with it - I started looking for reasons NOT to buy it. (LOL).. It just wasn't going to happen, period. I have several great guitars already. I'm a grown man of willpower and make my own decisions regardless of how awesome a guitar sounds.

So I bought it, like a true wimp. No regrets.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 08-07-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:57 AM

Martin 00L Earth. Not sure how hard I'm trying to talk myself out of it, though. I did talk myself out of the 00-DB a while back...still not sure if that was a good call.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:07 AM

A few years back I sold an Alvarez rosewood/spruce OM type because I didn't care for the neck and I really really didn't care for the small, low vintage style frets. My finger joints hurt when I played it. Silly me. I should have had it refretted and I could live with neck.

As a result, just about all my acoustic GAS since has been directed at a OM or 000 or even more likely 00 sized rosewood/spruce guitar.

Things I tell myself:

All my current guitars don't get enough playing time even with my past five years of heavy composition and presentation online of pieces.

I have a perfectly acceptable rosewood/spruce dreadnaught, isn't that close enough?

Do you really want another guitar to keep hydrated in the winter?

What guitar would I get rid of to make room this one? Will I feel the same way about that guitar as the Alvarez I sold?

How much difference is there really between guitars? Yes, I know we AGF types focus in on any differences, but most people just hear "Guitar music" whatever we play.

So on this matter I'm in balance, never able to decide to buy or to not. If I came upon a really good sounding 00 to OM rosewood spruce guitar with a neck I liked that felt was an affordable price, I expect I'd fall for it though.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-07-2021, 07:11 AM

Wade, Martin does a fantastic job with their Ambertone finish. That alone would want me to buy the guitar.

As for me, I've been thinking about the made in Japan Yamaha FG5 or FS5 over the past year or so. I've never played a 5 series before and none are in stock so I'd have to order blind. I've read fantastic reviews about them though. Given the recent pain I have in my right shoulder I think I'd opt for the FS5 rather than the dread type FG5.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Currently not trying to talk myself out of any guitar but have been there before. Time is what does it for me. If I can defer buying it today then maybe I can do the same tomorrow. And the next day and so on. I find that I'm the weakest at night (especially if I've had a few beers or some wine) and try my best to stay off of my computer. I wish you luck!

All that being said, my wife has a very nice CS 000-28 deep body!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion