The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2021, 05:46 AM

Default Yamaha CSF series vs Eastman E00 series

I'm in the market for a nice little couch parlour guitar. I have tried the Eastman e20 00 a long time ago and was impressed with the sound and playability but it was slightly out of my budget, although it ticked all the boxes.

Now, I would be in a similar dilemma but would be ready to pay up for it, since I still don't have a parlour guitar, and I have not forgotten the one I played 4 years ago.

I do see the reviews of the Yamaha CSF series are all positive and that looks to be quite a good alternative. I would have preferred rosewood back and sides (which the Eastman has) but would go and try one anyways based on all the positive reviews. Plus, I do like Yamaha products, and would be proud to own a Yamaha (had FG180 and have the FG335 still)

Does anyone have both to compare? At the price point, the Eastman should be a much better guitar, but I know yamaha have a way of seeming cheap for much better quality.

Any advice? I think it would be easier and more affordable to get the Yamaha, and I will probably like it, but the desire for a rosewood back and sides parlour would still be there in the back of my mind, and I will always wonder about the Eastman.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:46 AM

Don’t know if this helps or not, I have played the Yamaha CFS but don’t own one. I do own a Taylor GS Mini which is similar to the Yamaha CFS. I also own an Eastman E100-LTD, 00 size 12 fret spruce and sapelle. Between the two the Eastman is fuller, richer with a more complex sound. I like it better then the Taylor GS mini, which I do like as well.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Default check out this one

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=623267

It's mahogany and a lot of guitar for the money. It does have a 1 11/16" nut.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=623267

It's mahogany and a lot of guitar for the money. It does have a 1 11/16" nut.
If you played the E20-OO 12 fret and like that big full sound I would try to pick one up. I had one for a few years and it was an amazing-sounding guitar that sounded a lot bigger than its size. I just couldn't get used to the extra-wide nut or I would still have it. I have played a couple of the 14 fret Mahogany E10-OO and they were totally different than the E20-OO 12 fret. They sounded like you would think a smaller OO or O would sound, a little boxy and not as full sounding. Of course, that could have been just the two I played, maybe there are others that sound just as big as the E20-OO
Old 08-18-2021, 07:19 PM

Had a CSF3M for a while and I absolutely loved it. Fit and finish was splendid, action was great. Be aware of the shorter scale as it is not ideal if you want to play in lower tuning. Soundwise, it had great sustain and it was rich sounding, but it was definitely a bit boxy sounding. Had good bass response but the highs were really mellow and the mids were very dominant.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:41 AM

I have the CSF3M, and a n eastman e10ooSSv, they are both really fun adn comfortable guitars.

Yamaha:
Pros; most comfortable guitar, really easy to pickup and play on the sofa. Sounds nice, with balanced tone.
Cons; Harder to access 14th fret onwards due to slightly smaller scale. Not as rich sounding as the eastman.

Eastman:
Pros; Sounds very very nice, better than the yamaha with more harmonics, warmer sound and more bass.
Cons; Cost almost three times the yamaha, not as transportable as the yamaha.

Ultimately, Im selling the yamaha as I can only justify one, and since I have the eastman its a better sounding instrument. However, youd be pleased with either as long as you dont AB them directly.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

I have the Yamaha and an Eastman OM, which is my favorite of all my guitars. Impressed with the brand, I am now looking to find a 12 fret Eastman E20-OO but not having much luck. This might replace the Yamaha. Or an E10 - I think I like mahogany better than rosewood, but need a little variety.

That said, I love my CSF3M! It is a wonderful guitar, beautifully made and with sweet, sweet sounds. It is a true blues machine! Today I stumbled into an Eastman E20-OOSS (14 fret) that I was able to audition; it didn't sound nearly as good as my CSF! I suspect the lower-mounted bridge on the 12 fret will make a big difference in sound. If it does, my CSF might have to be passed along to someone else, but only for reasons of economics.

The short (23-5/8") scale of the Yamaha makes it very easy to play but may, at times, feel a wee bit cramped. This is not a reason to avoid it, though it might eventually be a reason to move on to something else.

There is no such thing as one guitar that will do it all. I truly believe this, yet still I keep trying.

Larrivée OMV-40R
Larrivée OOO-40M
Guild M20
Breedlove Oregon Concert CE
Eastman E6OM
Yamaha CSF3M
Washburn D25S
Epiphone "Joe Pass" Emperor II
Squier Classic Vibes Stratocaster
Old 08-24-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra19 View Post
I'm in the market for a nice little couch parlour guitar. I have tried the Eastman e20 00 a long time ago and was impressed with the sound and playability but it was slightly out of my budget, although it ticked all the boxes.

Now, I would be in a similar dilemma but would be ready to pay up for it, since I still don't have a parlour guitar, and I have not forgotten the one I played 4 years ago.

I do see the reviews of the Yamaha CSF series are all positive and that looks to be quite a good alternative. I would have preferred rosewood back and sides (which the Eastman has) but would go and try one anyways based on all the positive reviews. Plus, I do like Yamaha products, and would be proud to own a Yamaha (had FG180 and have the FG335 still)

Does anyone have both to compare? At the price point, the Eastman should be a much better guitar, but I know yamaha have a way of seeming cheap for much better quality.

Any advice? I think it would be easier and more affordable to get the Yamaha, and I will probably like it, but the desire for a rosewood back and sides parlour would still be there in the back of my mind, and I will always wonder about the Eastman.
Always get the Eastman. I own a couple and they're incredible and don't ever disappoint. It's not just "a good guitar for the money", they're amazing guitars.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Dougling View Post
I have the Yamaha and an Eastman OM, Impressed with the brand, I am now looking to find a 12 fret Eastman E20-OO but not having much luck.There is no such thing as one guitar that will do it all. I truly believe this, yet still I keep trying.
You might already know but just in case: that OO series has a ridiculous neck
Old 08-24-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, Atomkraft. I have heard the neck (at least on older models) was"like a baseball bat". That's why this is one guitar I am NOT willing to buy without trying.

Larrivée OMV-40R
Larrivée OOO-40M
Guild M20
Breedlove Oregon Concert CE
Eastman E6OM
Yamaha CSF3M
Washburn D25S
Epiphone "Joe Pass" Emperor II
Squier Classic Vibes Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion