The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2022, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobb73 View Post
My rep told me it no longer applies to or can be applied to used gear. I ordered something used 3 or 4 months ago. Rewards still pending.

Op, guitar center has 5% rewards program. I just got a 95 Taylor 812c today. Nothing was said about electronics when I called the store and asked about the guitar. And that is 1 of them that showed up without a case. Gc says they'll find it and send it out. Guitar sounds awesome. If they ship the case or comp me for it I'm keeping it.

Call the store. Ask questions, a lot of questions. If you ask they'll email you better pictures. Get a gc credit card and get 5% in rewards.
When I placed the order for the used guitar from the MF website, the detail in the ad included - Earn 6400 reward points ($64.00 in credit).

Last edited by FingahPickah; 03-04-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
When I placed the order for the used guitar from the MF website, the detail in the ad included (earn 6400 points with this purchase).
So did mine

OP, also if it doesn't say it comes with a case, it doesn't come with a case, including guitars that were sold with a case when new.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

My question is this; with so many good used guitars on the market from individuals, why would anyone even want to deal with GC or MF? Are the bonus points & bags of candy worth it?
Steve
Old 03-04-2022, 08:53 PM

I have bought from MF before and found it to similar, as expected, to Guitar Center. We have had no consequential issues.

I do recall I had to return a case to them via shipping when I thought I could just take it to my local GC. This was a hard hit. I always wondered if this was the same with new/used guitars?

I like their generous return policy. It sort of makes up for the lack of good photos and accurate descriptions for used guitars. I do now click over to GC to purchase just so I'm sure the return will be local. Of course, one mostly always pays for the initial shipping from the return credit.

To answer Stevien's question, I purchase used from them so that I can return a used guitar for "any" reason. This saves a little time on the typical due diligence, and there's an easy remedy if there's a problem. GC also has a pretty broad inventory at any given time. Now, if you don't have a local GC for returns, you don't get the same benefit. I do seek guitars from other avenues as well. MF/GC just provides another alternative.

Best,

Mac

Last edited by Macpage; 03-04-2022 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Add Information
Old 03-05-2022, 12:16 AM
Runaway Tomato

My experiences with Musician's Friend, although rare, have always been good.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-05-2022, 06:29 AM

They have been known recently to send out GC demo models as new.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
My question is this; with so many good used guitars on the market from individuals, why would anyone even want to deal with GC or MF? Are the bonus points & bags of candy worth it?
Steve
I was looking for a particular model (discontinued by Guild). One showed up in "great condition" at a fair price on MF's website. I would have purchased the guitar on that alone. MF offered the Reward Points - Earn 6400 points - (value is $64.00) written in the ad. That was a plus - until now - when they are not following through or even responding to me calling them on it.

The guitar is a keeper. The MF experience I can live without.

Incidentally, I've dealt with Sweetwater for years, but I assure you it's not because of the little bags of candy.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 03-05-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:29 AM

Hey Marty, I've ordered from MF many times before, including a guitar or two but that was years ago. I never had an issue and I wouldn't hesitate to order from MF given their great return policy. I'm assuming their return policy for used gear is the same no-hassle policy as new gear?

The one thing to watch out for is the description of the condition of the guitar. Not sure about MF but I've read many comments over the years where a Guitar Center listed a used guitar as "like new" and it comes with lots of dings and scratches. One of the reasons for a great return policy.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
You don't get the same service as Sweetwater. You can ask questions but the rep won't know specifics to that guitar like Sweetwater will.
It seems to me that most people wanting a new guitar, amp, etc. have already done lots of homework, YouTubed demos for hours, etc., and are then looking online for a great price. So at least in my case, the reps at Sweetwater aren't much help. I only bought one guitar from them and the rep borderline hassled me before I could get it sent back. With MF there is truly no hassle - they just send you a label with no questions (or even personal contact) and you send the item back. With Sweetwater you have to call and talk to the rep before getting your label. Bag of candy and all, Sweetwater left a slightly bad taste in my mouth. YMMV.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Op, guitar center has 5% rewards program.
As far as I know that 5 percent rewards program only applies if you have a Guitar Center Gear Card ... not a standard purchase such as the 8 percent awarded at Musician's Friend or the 5 percent rewards program at WWBW.com. I don't care to get another credit card just to buy gear.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-05-2022, 08:01 AM

I buy a lot of stuff from them. Always new, never used. I've never had any problem with anything. I like the rewards program. They seem to discount more than Sweetwater, but Sweetwater does offer better technical support. And, they price-match, so you get whatever discount offered by a competitor plus the additional 8% in rewards.

If I were buying used, I would forgo the rewards and just order if from Guitar Center and pick it up at the store (2 miles from home). That way, if there were any problems, I'd just hand it back over the counter and get my refund.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:03 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
As far as I know that 5 percent rewards program only applies if you have a Guitar Center Gear Card ... not a standard purchase such as the 8 percent awarded at Musician's Friend or the 5 percent rewards program at WWBW.com. I don't care to get another credit card just to buy gear.
This is true, you have to use the GC card to get the rewards. I have cards from GC, Musician's Friend, and Sweetwater. I could buy a pretty cool guitar if I could get pieces of it from all three!
Old 03-05-2022, 08:05 AM

I don't use them any more

I bought what was supposed to be a new a guitar from them a few years ago, and it was clear that item was customer return they resold as new. The finish around the input jack was cracked, and there were pick scratches all over it.

It took them 20 days to replace it. That was the last time I did any serious bizz with them

If I'm buying new, I call sweetwater.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-05-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXMoore View Post
I buy a lot of stuff from them. Always new, never used. I've never had any problem with anything. I like the rewards program. They seem to discount more than Sweetwater, but Sweetwater does offer better technical support. And, they price-match, so you get whatever discount offered by a competitor plus the additional 8% in rewards.

If I were buying used, I would forgo the rewards and just order if from Guitar Center and pick it up at the store (2 miles from home). That way, if there were any problems, I'd just hand it back over the counter and get my refund.
I've done that too in the past ... GC charges shipping (from one GC to another GC) that is non-refundable if you return the product. A consideration although not necessarily a game changer.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:16 AM

I bought a digital piano from MF using their card and I have 4 years to pay it off if I care to stretch it out that long. I used the rewards points to buy a stand for it.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion