The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Selling a Repaired Guitar

Haven't been posting recently as I'm down to 0 guitars and not very happy. I had to sell my D28 and tried to sell my D18. It ended up that the 18 needed a neck reset and has been encumbered for the past 3-4 months having the work done. The guitar was less than a year old and was covered by warranty.

She is coming back to me tomorrow and I have to see her. The guitar is in good condition otherwise but I'm not sure how the neck reset translates into asking price.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 04-09-2024, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

If you are honest in your advertisement and the repairs were well done by a reputable luthier, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. It will be easier if the sale is in-person.

I bought a D-18 GE that had some rather extensive repairs done (it previously belonged to a touring artist) in an in-person transaction (I was able to play it before buying). The guitar sounded great and the repairs were very well done by a local luthier.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:37 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

If the neck was reset under warranty and looks good, I don't think it should affect your asking price. In some ways it is a plus, as it's unlikely to need additional neck work in the foreseeable future.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Having the work done by the factory is a plus and having the paper work to verify it would be a plus. I would feel confident buying the guitar but I would offer 60% of retail. These days some consider that a low ball offer. Probably why I don’t got a lot of new to me guitars coming in.

I’m curious too see what those more experienced with resale have have to say.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-09-2024, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Others can feel as they may but to me a neck reset on a Martin wouldn't really effect the price so long as it was done well. Lots of Martins get neck resets in their lifetimes, so there's nothing so unusual about a neck reset that it raises any red flags in most situations.

But you needed a neck reset on a year-old guitar. That shouldn't happen and it does make me wonder why it happened. I would think that, in most cases, a neck reset in a year in indicative of abuse (not accusing you, just explaining where my brain is going on this) and I'd be very hesitant to buy that guitar.

I'm not saying most people would feel the same, but a Martin needing a reset in a year is worrisome enough that I'd probably be a hard pass on that guitar.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-09-2024, 03:18 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

A neck reset on an acoustic guitar generally doesn't hurt its value, and can even help it in some cases. Here's a breakdown:

Increases Value:

Playability: A guitar with a proper neck angle is easier to play, with better action (string height). This makes it more desirable to players, potentially increasing its value.

Preservation: Left unaddressed, a bad neck angle can lead to further damage. A neck reset addresses the problem and prevents future issues, maintaining the guitar's condition.

No Change or Minor Decrease:

Proper Disclosure: If you're selling a guitar that's had a neck reset, be upfront about it. While some collectors might be deterred, it shouldn't affect the price significantly for most buyers.

Vintage Guitars: For certain high-value vintage guitars, a neck reset might be a slight negative factor for collectors who prioritize complete originality.
Overall, a neck reset on a valuable guitar is usually considered routine maintenance, similar to a fret dress. It ensures the guitar remains playable and structurally sound, which outweighs any minor negatives.

Here are some additional points to consider:

The quality of the neck reset is important. A well-done reset should be invisible and not affect the tone.

The value of the guitar itself plays a role. A high-end guitar will likely benefit more from a neck reset than a lower-end one.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I also advise selling in person. I've had a couple remorseful buyers recently who basically returned for very small reasons even though the guitars were in very good condition and the buyer got very good deals. In person cash and carry AS IS , old school transactions are the best.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. Greatly appreciated. Martin authorized Sweetwater to do the work. I have all the paperwork from estimate to completion and would outline in any posting what happened. I guess I'll start with what is seems market is right now and see where it goes. Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

It does affect price. People may not think it should, or they may not want it to, but it does. And, in a time like this when the market is way down, buyers are spoiled for choice so the repaired ones take a big hit in value. If you need to sell a repaired instrument, try to do it at a time when there's greater demand, like during the holidays.

Not trying to be negative, just giving an honest opinions as someone who has been buying, selling, and repairing guitars for years. If you watch the classifieds and Reverb long enough, you see it.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I’m a D18 lover for sure. And I’m also one Martin lover severely disappointed in the new guitars over this past covid era… nuts cut too close to the treble, I proper neck angle/ short saddle/ binding. Your neck reset would not deter me in the least, and I’d likely pick it over a similar D-18 “whose action and saddle are ok for now”. So… a positive.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashondan2018 View Post
Haven't been posting recently as I'm down to 0 guitars and not very happy. I had to sell my D28 and tried to sell my D18. It ended up that the 18 needed a neck reset and has been encumbered for the past 3-4 months having the work done. The guitar was less than a year old and was covered by warranty.

She is coming back to me tomorrow and I have to see her. The guitar is in good condition otherwise but I'm not sure how the neck reset translates into asking price.

Thanks,

Dan
The reality is that now, after the neck reset, the guitar is 100% way better than it ever was but since you have to disclose it to a seller they will be ignorant of that fact and use it against you. IOW IMHO the guitar is valued higher now but the general public will most likely not see it that way.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Disclose it, point it out and tout it as a fresh repair that should make the present/repaired condition last longer. Sleep soundly.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I agree, it should not hurt it's value. Neck resets are common with guitars and if someone ask for a huge discount from me on this guitar, I would tell them this guitar is not for you and move on.

Do people get big discounts on cars that have had warranty work done? No, no they don't.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Others can feel as they may but to me a neck reset on a Martin wouldn't really effect the price so long as it was done well. Lots of Martins get neck resets in their lifetimes, so there's nothing so unusual about a neck reset that it raises any red flags in most situations.

But you needed a neck reset on a year-old guitar. That shouldn't happen and it does make me wonder why it happened. I would think that, in most cases, a neck reset in a year in indicative of abuse (not accusing you, just explaining where my brain is going on this) and I'd be very hesitant to buy that guitar.

I'm not saying most people would feel the same, but a Martin needing a reset in a year is worrisome enough that I'd probably be a hard pass on that guitar.
You mentioned it and many people seem to think this but how well you care for a guitar is not usually a reason for it needing a reset. Bulging top, cracks, and a sunken top are the things that will happen if a guitar is not taken care of. Changing geometry of the neck to the body is just something that happens with guitars. If the work is done well I think of it as a bonus because usually, a guitar is fairly stable after a neck reset (once it's settled in).

Last edited by UncleJesse; 04-10-2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Ask me in ten years. It sounds like it matters to you more than others. I'd rather buy a guitar that had a neck reset than one discounted because it needs one.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion