The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 02:31 AM
AGF Administrator

Default New Taylor GT 811e

A new Taylor GT model in the 800 series.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting new offering. It certainly is a very pretty guitar. In line with the GS mini lineup, I'm surprised their first new GT after the initial release would not have a koa or mahogany top - like a 321, 521, k21, etc. I can only speculate that perhaps they wanted to differentiate the original offering with urban ash (like mahogany) with rosewood back/sides. If it were me, I would try to price these at the lower end of the spectrum (perhaps put in the 400 series where there are some rosewoods), but Taylor is clearly betting people are willing to pay a premium by placing these in the 800 series with all of those upgraded appointments.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:28 PM

I was initially thinking this pretty little guitar would be a step up in price compared to its “plain” counterpart...which was already at a very controversial level at $1599. My uneducated guesstimate would’ve been right under the $2000 mark, maybe $1999 or so...

But...no. Taylor has priced this model at an astounding (to me) $2999!!

Wow.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I was initially thinking this pretty little guitar would be a step up in price compared to its “plain” counterpart...which was already at a very controversial level at $1599. My uneducated guesstimate would’ve been right under the $2000 mark, maybe $1999 or so...

Wow.
I agree with you - as I said earlier, if I were Taylor and I wanted to build a spruce/rosewood GT, I would have targeted the less expensive 400 series. A hog top guitar with whatever back/sides they wanted would be nearly identical in price to the original GT. At $3k, I can't think there is a huge buyer pool for these, but what do I know?
Old 12-18-2020, 02:35 PM

For years, folks have been asking for a solid wood GS Mini. I kept pointing out that it was built to specific price point which precluded solid woods, and when they went to all solid wood it would be in the price range of a 312 or thereabouts. And indeed it was with the Urban Ash GT. Now they've upped the ante further to 800 level materials and appointments, so it is not surprising that it costs like an 800 series guitar. Either way I'm not in the market any longer, but someone will be.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:54 PM

Looks pretty cool to me!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-18-2020, 08:40 PM

I am guessing the reason not to use the hardwood top is to emphasize the new "C bracing" and how it sits in with rosewood and spruce. The hardwood would obviously change the tone and not give a baseline as to what this bracing is about. On a separate note, I need to understand more about this scale length.

My hesitation with the GP series was the scale length, so I am curious why they adjusted this scale length other than just because of the GT body size in general.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:21 PM

The Urban Ash, from the sample provided, sounds better to me and is half the price of the 800 series version. I can't wrap my head around why these mini-sized guitars are so popular, especially at these prices and with the inherent tonal compromises. I have yet to find a GC that could stack up against a good OM-28, 000-28 or 000-18, let alone something smaller.

Are folks that uncomfortable with a proper sized guitar?
Old 12-18-2020, 11:22 PM

I'm hoping this will inspire Martin to do an 18 series of the junior models.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8tstartr View Post
I'm hoping this will inspire Martin to do an 18 series of the junior models.
They just need to bring back the OM-18 to the Standard Line...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-19-2020, 08:28 AM

I think Chris McKee makes the Taylor sound great in that Alamo Music video. I must admit that when I saw it for the first time, I thought it was gorgeous, and...I wanted one. That was before I learned the price point. I am practical enough to know that I can buy many other great guitars for less than that (or not much more), and that will have a great resale value if I ever have to or want to move it on. I don't see the GT 811e as having that benefit at all. I am just amazed that Taylor is bold enough to release a $3000 guitar that is practically a GSMini-on-steroids during this particular time and national climate.

Oh well...I know nothing. They will probably sell a bunch to folks who have that kind of money to spend...nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post

Wow.
Na, $2K in Taylor land gets you this:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=600341
Old 12-19-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Na, $2K in Taylor land gets you this:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=600341
This is a great guitar. Tried it out a couple of times. The only V brace guitar I would risk buying. Waiting to see what they do with the 12 string lineup before I consider giving it a go. Their reluctance with addressing the 12 string lineup gives me trust issues and I am a huge Taylor fan, so I will wait.

That said, the AD12E guitar is insane. Solid Macassar Ebony back and sides, solid top, ebony board and bridge, 24.5 scale length. A very very nice guitar for 1999.00. Crazy deal.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
This is a great guitar. Tried it out a couple of times. The only V brace guitar I would risk buying. Waiting to see what they do with the 12 string lineup before I consider giving it a go. Their reluctance with addressing the 12 string lineup gives me trust issues and I am a huge Taylor fan, so I will wait.

That said, the AD12E guitar is insane. Solid Macassar Ebony back and sides, solid top, ebony board and bridge, 24.5 scale length. A very very nice guitar for 1999.00. Crazy deal.
Well, yes and no. Did you read the post? Some pretty serious QC issues with that guitar.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Well, yes and no. Did you read the post? Some pretty serious QC issues with that guitar.
Yes I did, but I was excited about the one I did play and I did not think of that in my post, to mention the one I played was A1 tight. Very disappointing to see Taylor let that other one clear QC protocol.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion