The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-06-2003, 10:20 PM

614, 614, 614!!!!!!!!!!!

Warning the opinions of this poster may and probably are biased. I too play p&w mostly. I say you just can't beat the clarity and tone of maple. Not to mention jmho I think they are the most visually stunning.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:11 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)
Default 814

I agree with a lot that is written. I had to make this decision a little while ago and played many guitars and it came down to the 614ces and the 814ces. There's a world of difference between them, so if you try them both you will know. I liked the 814 because of its warmth and because it's a Taylor it's got plenty of highs. I also agree that due to the dynamics it is very sensitive to the type of pick you use. The .50's are very good.
Also, the x14's have plenty of volume and with the right pick they can even be loud! I play along with a piano and it's loud enough for that. The 810 was too boomy for me. (in fact an 814 should almost have the same volume due to the body size, just less bass due to the shape, which is not the same thing. Volume and tone should not be confused). I find the 814ces a very all round guitar. But it's just a matter of taste.

Good luck, have fun with the search and let us know how it turns out.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 07-07-2003, 06:52 AM

Default For P & W

I use my 510 every Sunday, mostly plugged in. I use a Fender Acoustasonic Jr and sometimes a volume pedal for playing with a keyboard, drums, bass, and another guitar or 2. It's great.

You can't go wrong with any Taylor!

SD
Old 07-07-2003, 11:41 AM

I feel like this thread is turning into a repeat-fest, and I'm just throwing my 2 cents in (that sound a lot like everyone else's...)

I'm a college Chaplain and have been leading worship every week for about 12 years with a 712-C and doing just fine. The guitar was a gift, so I kept using it even though the bass response was not perfect for every situation. I just recently acquired an 810-WMB, and I have got to say, if you can get your hands on one of these, it is a dramatically perfect worship guitar. The bass helps carry the sound well, without sticking out like a Martin does. It is plenty loud, and very responsive to the touch, so you can really set the volume when you're unplugged.

I'd bet the new revoiced dreads have a lot of the same great sound.

Brian

1991 cherry sunburst 712C (just like Nanci's)
1997 810-WMB
c. 1971-2 Vega V.I.P. banjo by Martin
Old 07-07-2003, 11:55 AM

I lead worship w/ my W10 about every other week. All I can say is that I've never been happier with a guitar than this W10. It's perfect in that it has a full sound, but not too many overtones like a rosewood dread. Thus, it cuts through the mix better and is less prone to feedback.

God Bless!!!
'97 Baby
'05 Breedlove OM-R Deluxe
Rom. 10:9-10
Old 07-07-2003, 09:47 PM

Sorry I don't use a taylor, I use either a Larrivee DV05E or Gibson J-100xtra, both sound great....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion