The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2021, 06:32 PM

Default Furch/Stonebridge D22 trade up options?

Hi there.

I recently picked up a 14 year old D22 Sitka (fortified) over RW dread.
I’ve been mostly an electric player for the last 20 years but now am in love with acoustic again. I can’t put it down lol.

The question I have is how this guitar relates to today’s line up.

Is the bracing and tonality of my guitar different in any way to today’s models?
I think I would be inclined to explore the vintage line.

Some have said that the bracing and relative tone of Furch is quite similar…just different materials and bling. Others I have reached out to say the vintage line in particular has a different bracing system. Maybe more pre war in design.

Thoughts on this?
I’m inclined to keep this guitar. One shop told me to keep it lol. but am curious what trading up might represent in terms of options within the Furch lineup.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

The older, hopefully well played guitar should be superior to the new model. Comparing side to side would be the only sure test. I don't recall anyone stating what the factory is producing now is an advancement. The new neck design should be more stable technically, I suppose.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:30 PM

Yes, I do agree. a well played 14 year one should be well into its break in for sure. Thats a plus.

I dont have local access to the Furch lineup, so am wondering if they do in fact follow the same overall bracing design...of course they do tune them based on materials i think, so some subtle differences can be expected, but im curious if the dred millenium line, the new color line, and the vintage guitars are designed the same ...with only material and cosmetic differences?
Old 09-03-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I asked them a few years ago about the difference in the bracing systems and the answer I got was very vague/general, so I did not learn anything about the engineering.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
I asked them a few years ago about the difference in the bracing systems and the answer I got was very vague/general, so I did not learn anything about the engineering.

As of a few years ago, the differences between the Millennium versus vintage series was mostly cosmetic with the exception of the neck profile. The vintage series Dreads had 43 mm nut and the rest including the millennium series had a 45 mm nut. The guts were the same. Don't know when they started tuning the tops (and backs for the red series), but the basics between the 2 series are still the same as far as i know, with the exception of the top tuning
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 09-03-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:03 PM

Very insightful. Thanks for all the info.

Maybe thats the part of the confusion. The older D22 may be quite similar to the Vintage line. And the new color line could possibly be different structurally beyond bling. Would make sense I guess to offer more breath in product. Modern tone and vintage tone

Im totally loving playing it though.
Tons of Neil Young songs of late (plus harmonica lol).

I think it may be a total keeper.
It may just need a friend at some point

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion