The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 07:53 AM

Default Seagull S6 Purchase Advice

Recent lurker and first-time poster here looking for help on purchasing a Seagull S6. AGF turned me on to the idea of an S6 as my first acoustic, and I’ve spent a lot of time reading through old posts to educate myself.

I’m at a purchasing decision point and would love the forum’s insight and wisdom.

Guitar A is a used S6 that I’ve played a few times at my local Guitar Center. It feels and sounds great to me, and sounds better than a new S6 that I also tried. Based on the serial number – 046386001563 – it is a relatively early post-2007 guitar. I have not measured yet, but that means it could have the short-scale length which I understand is preferable. I noticed one small indent on the top, which seems typical for cedar-topped guitars, but otherwise it is in excellent condition. GC wants $440, but I’d hope to get them down to at least $400.

Guitar B is a used S6+ Cedar that I found online, and unfortunately is too far away for me to play it. The serial number stamped on the headstock indicates it was made in 1998. I’ve messaged with the seller who seems to know his Gulls (he’s replacing the S6 with another Seagull) and to have played and cared for the guitar. He had a luthier set it up ~2 years ago. The condition is described as “very good,” and photos show a couple of scratches or dings, but nothing unusual given its age. I’d hope to be able to score it for $400-$425 including shipping.

Guitar A is the bird in hand. I’ve played it and like how it feels and sounds. It may have the short scale length, but I'd need to go back to measure to be certain.

Guitar B is the birds in the bush. My sense from reading posts here is that S6s improve in sound with age, so a 26-year-old guitar is attractive from that perspective. Guitar B also has had a professional set-up, and as a 1998 should definitely have the short scale length. The downside, of course, is that I can’t play it before buying.

Which guitar would you go with? What else should I be thinking about in making a decision? Are these reasonable price points?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2024, 08:56 AM

You should get A
Old 04-30-2024, 10:38 AM

Hi Ken and welcome! You'll want guitar A (my opinion). You've seen and played it, and yes it should be the shorter scale. I've got a 25th anniversary model (spruce vs cedar) and love the playability of the wide nut/short scale.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Old 04-30-2024, 10:43 AM

I recall the a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. So, according to my math, A is a bargain.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Erdedy View Post
Recent lurker and first-time poster here looking for help on purchasing a Seagull S6. AGF turned me on to the idea of an S6 as my first acoustic, and I’ve spent a lot of time reading through old posts to educate myself.

I’m at a purchasing decision point and would love the forum’s insight and wisdom.

Guitar A is a used S6 that I’ve played a few times at my local Guitar Center. It feels and sounds great to me, and sounds better than a new S6 that I also tried. Based on the serial number – 046386001563 – it is a relatively early post-2007 guitar. I have not measured yet, but that means it could have the short-scale length which I understand is preferable. I noticed one small indent on the top, which seems typical for cedar-topped guitars, but otherwise it is in excellent condition. GC wants $440, but I’d hope to get them down to at least $400.

Guitar B is a used S6+ Cedar that I found online, and unfortunately is too far away for me to play it. The serial number stamped on the headstock indicates it was made in 1998. I’ve messaged with the seller who seems to know his Gulls (he’s replacing the S6 with another Seagull) and to have played and cared for the guitar. He had a luthier set it up ~2 years ago. The condition is described as “very good,” and photos show a couple of scratches or dings, but nothing unusual given its age. I’d hope to be able to score it for $400-$425 including shipping.

Guitar A is the bird in hand. I’ve played it and like how it feels and sounds. It may have the short scale length, but I'd need to go back to measure to be certain.

Guitar B is the birds in the bush. My sense from reading posts here is that S6s improve in sound with age, so a 26-year-old guitar is attractive from that perspective. Guitar B also has had a professional set-up, and as a 1998 should definitely have the short scale length. The downside, of course, is that I can’t play it before buying.

Which guitar would you go with? What else should I be thinking about in making a decision? Are these reasonable price points?

Thanks!
Just one quick comment. While I can't say during what time periods Seagull made what, be aware that there are S6s with different nut widths. The wider nut is 1.8 inches, which is wider than most typical steel string 6-string guitars. The neck is also pretty chunky. I like the bigger/wider neck because I've got big hands but, it's really a preference item so, make sure you're looking at guitars with your preferred nut width.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

I'd probably say go with the one you've tried and that you like.

I have played several S6s , older and new, and I think they've all sounded good to me. I played an M6 that is the same but with hog top and that one was nice too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the scale length. I got the long scale version, which I picked out in person when I was in Chicago because it sounded so good when I tried it out. I currently have it strung up with monels and in open D it is an easy to play blues beast. Even in open E it's pretty easy to play as well.

After I got my S6 I wanted to try the folk version which is short scale. It's a different animal with a much more raw sound. Still like it but the tone is lacking compared to the dread.

Anyways, enjoy your new S6, whichever one you pick!
Old 04-30-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
GC wants $440, but I’d hope to get them down to at least $400.
First, welcome!

I'd probably go with Guitar A. It wouldn't hurt to try asking for a lower price for the guitar. Another option, instead of asking for a lower price for the S6, perhaps get a case and ask for a reduced price on the case and have them throw in a new set of strings. In other words, if they don't want to budge on the price, other ways to feel like you're getting the most 'bang-for-your-buck'.

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-30-2024, 02:13 PM

Default The S6+ is a different bird...

As I recall, the "+" refers to a wider neck than the regular models. I found an eBay ad that listed the nut with of an S6+ as 1.77 inches. I prefer the wider neck for fingerpicking, but it slows me down when flatpicking.

You can learn more specs, including materials, about any Godin family guitar my emailing [email protected].
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Tacoma JM9 jumbo
-Tacoma JK50C jumbo
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 04-30-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeGumar View Post
Just one quick comment. While I can't say during what time periods Seagull made what, be aware that there are S6s with different nut widths. The wider nut is 1.8 inches, which is wider than most typical steel string 6-string guitars. The neck is also pretty chunky. I like the bigger/wider neck because I've got big hands but, it's really a preference item so, make sure you're looking at guitars with your preferred nut width.
Hi Roscoe
The string spacing on a 1.8" Seagull is actually 1¾" (1¹²⁄₁₆") at the nut, while the newer 'narrower' model is 1¹¹⁄₁₆" (actually 43.69mm). I find them indistinguishable to most players. I've had some finger stylers immediately like the wider one better…because we typically enjoy that extra ⅟₁₆".

And the fingerboard is not actually 1.8" wide - it's 45.72mm which when the French speaking Canadians who designed them built them to a metric width and then tried to convert it from metric to imperial…they expressed inches in tenths…instead of sixteenths of an inch.

I've owned a couple older S6s and measured the string spacing of both models with a digital micrometer and the string spacing of the 1.8" model is exactly the same as all 5 of my guitars with 1¾" nuts.

And the 1.72" model string spacing is exactly like a traditional Martin 1¹¹⁄₁₆" neck.

The two nut widths parallel traditional Martin versus Taylor nut width.

It is NOT something that requires huge hands, nor long fingers. Many of us with small to medium hands play 1¾" nut guitars and prefer them.

I taught acoustic fingerstyle for 40 years and never had a student with either Seagull ever express concerns over the neck's chunkiness nor width.

Just my few cent's worth…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-30-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
As I recall, the "+" refers to a wider neck than the regular models. I found an eBay ad that listed the nut with of an S6+ as 1.77 inches. I prefer the wider neck for fingerpicking, but it slows me down when flatpicking.

You can learn more specs, including materials, about any Godin family guitar my emailing [email protected].
Hi Birdbrain…
That's funny because Seagull's site only lists neck widths 1.72 inch (43.69mm) or 1.8 inch (45.72mm)…except for the Peppino model which is 1.9" (48.26mm). I played one and it's probably the same string spacing as my Recording King 000-18 copy which has a 1 ¹³/₁₆" nut spacing.

There is no need to email Godin, because the Seagull site has all the specs posted for every model.

And I've never seen a Seagull with a plus added. It's sure not on the site…is it something Older/Newer or custom?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 04-30-2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Birdbrain…
That's funny because Seagull's site only lists neck widths 1.72 inch (43.69mm) or 1.8 inch (45.72mm)…except for the Peppino model which is 1.9" (48.26mm). I played one and it's probably the same string spacing as my Recording King 000-18 copy which has a 1 ¹³/₁₆" nut spacing.

There is no need to email Godin, because the Seagull site has all the specs posted for every model.

And I've never seen a Seagull with a plus added. It's sure not on the site…is it something Older/Newer or custom?

Based on my research, there have been various S6+ models over the years, and that designation has meant different things, spec-wise, depending on the year. A common theme is that they were available with a spruce or cedar top. They seemed to have stopped making the S6+ in the mid-00s.

This particular S6+ is definitely a cedar-topped 1998 model. As far as I can tell, the only difference in 1998 between an S6 and an S6+ was that the S6+ had the back and sides stained a darker mahogany color. In other words, purely aesthetic.

If I'm off-base on any of this, I look forward to being corrected by the experts here.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I recall the a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. So, according to my math, A is a bargain.
Ha! As you can probably guess, I suspected that Guitar A was the right choice.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Ha! As you can probably guess, I suspected that Guitar A was the right choice.
Sweetwater lists S6's as low as $560 and probably less if you inquire with an offer.

Be aware that newer Seagulls have the epoxied neck heel, effectively making them unrepairable when they eventually need a reset.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Roscoe
The string spacing on a 1.8" Seagull is actually 1¾" (1¹²⁄₁₆") at the nut, while the newer 'narrower' model is 1¹¹⁄₁₆" (actually 43.69mm). I find them indistinguishable to most players. I've had some finger stylers immediately like the wider one better…because we typically enjoy that extra ⅟₁₆".

And the fingerboard is not actually 1.8" wide - it's 45.72mm which when the French speaking Canadians who designed them built them to a metric width and then tried to convert it from metric to imperial…they expressed inches in tenths…instead of sixteenths of an inch.

I've owned a couple older S6s and measured the string spacing of both models with a digital micrometer and the string spacing of the 1.8" model is exactly the same as all 5 of my guitars with 1¾" nuts.

And the 1.72" model string spacing is exactly like a traditional Martin 1¹¹⁄₁₆" neck.

The two nut widths parallel traditional Martin versus Taylor nut width.

It is NOT something that requires huge hands, nor long fingers. Many of us with small to medium hands play 1¾" nut guitars and prefer them.

I taught acoustic fingerstyle for 40 years and never had a student with either Seagull ever express concerns over the neck's chunkiness nor width.

Just my few cent's worth…

I'm a beginner so, I'm sure you know more than I do on the subject (and probably most other guitar related subjects). But, I did own an M6 Limited with what Seagull lists as a 1.8 inch nut width at the same time I had a Taylor 814ce, with a 1.75 inch nut width. The Seagull was easier for me to play in terms of clean fretting but I didn't love the tone and, ultimately, I wanted a dreadnought so I replaced the Seagull with a Martin (also with a 1.75 inch nut width). Maybe as I get better (hopefully), nut width and neck size will become less and less of a significant factor for me but, at least right now, wider nuts and bigger necks seem to allow me to fret more cleanly. Spacing up by the bridge is another story. Right now, it's easier for me to strum chords with narrower spacing, but my finger style efforts appreciate wider spacing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion