The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2024, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I thought the IBG Hummingbird was pretty good. The J45s not so much.

I think the earlier IBGs may have been made in a different factory as well.

Finally as far as I am concerned every time poly faces off against nitro, sonically it loses. That’s probably why I think the earlier Eastman Gibson clones were so vastly superior to the newer ones.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Well, against my better judgement, I ordered one from Sweetwater. Neither of my local stores (including GC) were aware of them or had any plans to receive one. I'll audition it for a week then decide. If I don't like it, back it will go. FedEx shows delivery tomorrow, so I'm anxious to see how it goes!
Old 04-21-2024, 04:29 PM

Good luck with it!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-21-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I see that the SJ200 version is now available online. If anyone gets a chance to demo one of these, please post up a review on AGF.
I didn't know these guitars, or this thread, existed until today.

Short IBG Epiphone J-200 Antique Aged Review:
I went into Guitar Center for strings today and walked out with a completely unplanned Epiphone J-200.

Slightly Longer Review:
My local Guitar Center never has any good inventory, and I haven't been in there in years. Today I figured I'd stick my head into the acoustic room for kicks, I saw an Epiphone J-200, and I grabbed it for a test drive. To my amazement, I was really impressed. My "daily drivers" at home are a 1943 Banner J-45 (the real deal, not a new one) and a Martin 000-28 Custom Authentic Aged, so I have a pretty high mark for guitar tone. The Epiphone was beautiful to look at, had very good tone and was set up almost perfectly. It is on the heavier side but the tone is very sweet, and the build quality appears to be high. The tuners are smooth as silk. The much-maligned Fishman pickup sounds quite good plugged into an amp. I've owned a few real Gibson J-200's and played many others; I would say this is right in the middle in terms of build quality and tone. The tone is sweeter than many I've played, it's a tad quieter than some Gibsons I've played but still has plenty of volume. This thing would mop the floor with any Gibson J-200 made between 1960 and 2000. This guitar has a chip out of the nut under the bass E string; I negotiated a pretty good discount because of it, paid the money and walked out with it. The dhip is a little ugly but it doesn't affect the playing at all, I may just leave it as-is. I can verify that both the nut and the saddle are bone.

I took it home and filed down the nut slots a little, otherwise the setup is perfect. Playing it alongside my other guitars, it's not out of place at all. It's a great guitar to sing along with. For less than $1k, it's a complete no-brainer. It will be my low-stress gig machine and campfire guitar. Two big thumbs up, I'm very impressed.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique

Last edited by Aaron Smith; 04-22-2024 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I didn't know these guitars, or this thread, existed until today.

Short IBG Epiphone J-200 Antique Aged Review:
I went into Guitar Center for strings today and walked out with a completely unplanned Epiphone J-200.

Slightly Longer Review:
My local Guitar Center never has any good inventory, and I haven't been in there in years. Today I figured I'd stick my head into the acoustic room for kicks, I saw an Epiphone J-200, and I grabbed it for a test drive. To my amazement, I was really impressed. My "daily drivers" at home are a 1943 Banner J-45 (the real deal, not a new one) and a Martin 000-28 Custom Authentic Aged, so I have a pretty high mark for guitar tone. The Epiphone was beautiful to look at, had very good tone and was set up almost perfectly. It is on the heavier side but the tone is very sweet, and the build quality appears to be high. The tuners are smooth as silk. The much-maligned Fishman pickup sounds quite good plugged into an amp. I've owned a few real Gibson J-200's and played many others; I would say this is right in the middle in terms of build quality and tone. The tone is sweeter than many I've played, it's a tad quieter than some Gibsons I've played but still has plenty of volume. This thing would mop the floor with any Gibson J-200 made between 1960 and 2000. I paid the money and walked out with it.

I took it home and filed down the nut slots a little, otherwise the setup is perfect. Playing it alongside my other guitars, it's not out of place at all. It's a great guitar to sing along with. For less than $1k, it's a complete no-brainer. It will be my low-stress gig machine and campfire guitar. Two big thumbs up, I'm very impressed.
Great review, and thanks for posting! I do believe that's one of the original IBG J200 versions, so not exactly the one mentioned here, but still a great guitar! I have played these too and they are quite good! Enjoy the new guitar!
Old 04-22-2024, 06:00 AM

Doesn't Jamey Johnson play a $500 Epiphone?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-22-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
A decent step up the ladder, but no substitute fro the real thing.The naming is over the top marketing. I'm trying to figure out what is custom about it. Are they being inspired by the Gibson Custom Shop?
No they are inspired by the inspired models, or re-imagined (oops...wrong company.)

Last edited by pickitPaul; 04-22-2024 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Great review, and thanks for posting! I do believe that's one of the original IBG J200 versions, so not exactly the one mentioned here, but still a great guitar! I have played these too and they are quite good! Enjoy the new guitar!
I think you're right, this is not the new new one with the thermally aged top. I think those have a more traditional moustache bridge without the pearl inlays in the wings. If my experience with Martins is any indication, my ear tends to favor non-aged tops over thermal aging on most guitars.

I changed strings before bed. This morning I got up and played it a bit... it's really a great guitar. First strum surprised me again, how big and full the tone is.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 04-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

The new guitar arrived this morning. It's still in the box for now. I'm hoping to give it a play later today and I'll give my impressions then.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I think you're right, this is not the new new one with the thermally aged top. I think those have a more traditional moustache bridge without the pearl inlays in the wings. If my experience with Martins is any indication, my ear tends to favor non-aged tops over thermal aging on most guitars.

I changed strings before bed. This morning I got up and played it a bit... it's really a great guitar. First strum surprised me again, how big and full the tone is.
Sounds like you got a good one. I've had two of the 2020 IBG SJ-200s from Sweetwater and both of them went back. Tight, heavy, thin-sounding. Congrats on the keeper!
Old 04-22-2024, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

The guitar arrived today and I have attached some pictures. I am letting it sit for a bit to acclimate but here are my initial impressions. The fit and finish are very good. I can't find anything about the body to complain about. It's quite nice! The action is a little high but a small adjustment of the truss rod should fix this. The nut is a little sharp on the corners. This can be easily fixed, but it shouldn't have been left this way. Again, not a major issue. The frets are well done and the tuners work smoothly. No issues there. The fretboard is dark enough to where you would be hard pressed to tell it's not rosewood.

I have not played it a lot yet, but the tone is very good. It has a nice bass thump and the trebles are articulate without sounding harsh. Overall, this guitar very much has the Gibson SJ200 tone and I can't fault it in any way.

There was a discussion recently about SJ200 guitars being generally quieter than a dread. I agree, and this fits in with that description. Yes, if you dig in, it can get loud. But just playing at standard levels, it's quieter than a dread. Is this an issue? Not at all and it fits in with my experience with the Gibson counterpart.

So, a little truss rod adjustment and a bit of filing of the nut edges and this should be ready to go. Overall, I am impressed. I will need to put it through the paces before making a final decision.

Oh, the case is also very nice. It's lined in purple!

Old 04-22-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dok View Post
Sounds like you got a good one. I've had two of the 2020 IBG SJ-200s from Sweetwater and both of them went back. Tight, heavy, thin-sounding. Congrats on the keeper!
Thanks. I guess Gibson isn't exactly famous for their consistency from guitar to guitar. I would say that I wasn't a fan of 80% of the J-200's I've played in my life, Gibson or Epiphone. On the balance they tend to be less responsive and somewhat quiet, but there is a signature tone that the good ones have. I've played some newer ones that were great guitars (particularly a Murphy Aged Historic J-200), but they had a somewhat anonymous sound if that makes sense; they didn't sound like the really great 50's J-200s that I had played. That's why I was so surprised by what this one is delivering; it has volume and dynamics, and still has the characteristic sound of the good ones.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 04-22-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
The guitar arrived today and I have attached some pictures. I am letting it sit for a bit to acclimate but here are my initial impressions. The fit and finish are very good. I can't find anything about the body to complain about. It's quite nice! The action is a little high but a small adjustment of the truss rod should fix this. The nut is a little sharp on the corners. This can be easily fixed, but it shouldn't have been left this way. Again, not a major issue. The frets are well done and the tuners work smoothly. No issues there. The fretboard is dark enough to where you would be hard pressed to tell it's not rosewood.

I have not played it a lot yet, but the tone is very good. It has a nice bass thump and the trebles are articulate without sounding harsh. Overall, this guitar very much has the Gibson SJ200 tone and I can't fault it in any way.

There was a discussion recently about SJ200 guitars being generally quieter than a dread. I agree, and this fits in with that description. Yes, if you dig in, it can get loud. But just playing at standard levels, it's quieter than a dread. Is this an issue? Not at all and it fits in with my experience with the Gibson counterpart.

So, a little truss rod adjustment and a bit of filing of the nut edges and this should be ready to go. Overall, I am impressed. I will need to put it through the paces before making a final decision.

Oh, the case is also very nice. It's lined in purple!

Nice, congratulations! What pickup comes standard in those? I see what appears to be a microphone through the soundhole.

If the action is high, sand down the saddle a bit. The truss rod changes neck relief, and it isn't the best way to bring the action down.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 04-22-2024, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I checked the neck first and it certainly needed some straightening. I tweaked it a little and now it's just about perfect. As for the pickup, it's listed as an LR Baggs VTC. I assume this is probably the lower quality (maybe Element?) of the UST pickups they make. I anticipate it will likely be removed and replaced eventually. What you are seeing in that pic is the 9 volt battery plug. It has a typical velcroed on battery bag inside. Again, not my favorite by a long shot, so I'll likely replace it.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I've noticed Epiphone Hummingbirds for some time now and always wondered how much they might resemble their Gibson namesakes. And I've seen (in passing) some favorable praise. I know where I stand on Fender's Squier line. Some are excellent, some not at all.

Grabbed an Epiphone Hummingbird the other day for a quick (3-minute) test-drive. I didn't know at the time that the Epis come in two tiers as well - 'regular' and a more expensive Inspired by Gibson model (solid wood).

I play a little game with myself and try to avoid looking at the price tag on instrument until I've actually played it. So, unaware that there are two Epiphones, I honestly don't know which one I tried.

Although I'd probably pass on either model given the nut width and a couple other things that don't fit my admittedly biased style, I'd be interested (just from an academic standpoint) to know how the two models stack up in an A/B comparison.

YouTube vids often don't tell the same story as my hands and ears.
Responding to my own post here. I was in the acoustic room at "Guitarget" again yesterday and noticed this non-"Inspired" model. Thinking about this thread, I picked it up and fired off a couple quick songs. Same guitar I test-drove last week. Meh.

Like I said, this one was NOT the IBG model. If I were looking for something at this very modest price-point, there are Yamahas, used Seagulls, Ibanii (plural for Ibanez, yes?) that I'd jump on first.

Not disparaging the IBG line by any means. Turns out I haven't played one yet,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1663.JPG (54.6 KB, 11 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion