The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2016, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Do you name your guitars?

When I first started lessons (about a year or so ago) I read somewhere that you are supposed to "name" your guitars -- is that a tradition that is still practiced? Is it "old school?" Do you name yours?????
I named my first Taylor "Cecelia" -- since I am a minister I chose the name because she was the patron saint of musicians.
Then I got the "bug" of purchasing more guitars --
the Yamaha FSC700SC was named "Winnie" after my mom who died in '96
Then I bought the Ibanez AM73B-TF and name him "Herbie" after my dad who died of TB when I was 5
Next came the Zager ZAD50-CE
and then the Seagull S6Original.
last two are yet to be officially named.

Sharing halves your sorrows and doubles your joys!

2013 Taylor 314ce ("Cecelia" = patron saint of musicians)
1997 Taylor 414ce ("Winnie" - for my Mom)
Zager ZAD-50ce ("Tommy" - my stepbrother KIA Viet Nam)
Ibanez AM73B-TF
Seagull S6 Original ("Herbie," my Dad)
Martin X Series GCPX2AE
Old 04-16-2016, 10:56 AM

I don't name inanimate objects. The guitar is an means to an end. Its a tool. The guitar will never be better than my ability to play it. It relies solely on me for its voice.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 AM

Here we go again get ready for the snobs to talk down to you for even considering such a thing.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChap View Post
When I first started lessons (about a year or so ago) I read somewhere that you are supposed to "name" your guitars -- is that a tradition that is still practiced?
Hi NC
Our 'tradition' in our family is to call cars by either their maker, model (Ford, Saturn, Explorer etc) or job (RV, SUV). Guitars are by size or maker's last name.

So we have Dreadnought, OM, or mini-jumbo Olson, Bashkin, Voyage-Air, Kronbauer. Nothing more.

Not giving them child-status (or perhaps more serious) doesn't indicate to us any less importance nor inclusion in the life of our family.

And for the record, dman, I'm not being snobbish, just reporting what happens at our house. If you want to give your instruments names, it's fine by me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-16-2016, 11:01 AM

Ones I build, yes - so far. Ones I buy, no. Other than "the '46 Zephyr, the '35 Dobro" and like that.

My first archtop is named "Firewood", because I used several pieces of highly figured and spalted maple from my firewood pile for the trim. My second archtop is named "Catherine", after my wife.

Brian
Old 04-16-2016, 11:17 AM

After dman wrote that this thread will give snobs a chance to talk down to those who do name their guitars, Larry - who doesn't name his guitars - replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
And for the record, dman, I'm not being snobbish, just reporting what happens at our house. If you want to give your instruments names, it's fine by me.
Which is my attitude, as well. It doesn't have a negative impact on my life if somebody else wants to name their guitars, I just don't have any inclination to do that myself.

I tend to refer to my instruments by either the manufacturer's name or an abbreviated version of the model name. My Gibson Advanced Jumbo is "the AJ," my Klepper KJ is "the KJ," my 000-42 is "the Triple O," and so forth.

whm
Old 04-16-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMartyr View Post
I don't name inanimate objects. The guitar is an means to an end. Its a tool. The guitar will never be better than my ability to play it. It relies solely on me for its voice.
Exactly my thoughts. I don't name my hammers, etc.

However, BB King ("Lucille"), Eric Claption ("Blackie") and a host of other pros don't share my thoughts so it's up to the owner to do whatever he or she wants to do with his or her guitar.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:20 AM

No. I understand that some people do but it's not for me.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:29 AM

No, but my spouse started referring to them as "Marty," "Al" and "Gil" (derived from the brand names), and, since I'm all for shorthand and don't have more than one guitar from any maker, I go along with it. (No nickname yet for the used Epiphone I picked up this week. If it gets one, I may suggest "AJ" rather than "Epi." )
Old 04-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Count me as an unapologetic guitar namer (see signature below).

For me, getting to know the guitar, its gender, and its 'True Name' is a wonderful part of the relationship I build with an instrument once I get him/her.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-16-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Count me as an unapologetic guitar namer (see signature below).

For me, getting to know the guitar, its gender, and its 'True Name' is a wonderful part of the relationship I build with an instrument once I get him/her.
OK, that's a little more than I need to know. .......Mike
Old 04-16-2016, 11:58 AM

Usually a name will come to me for a given guitar but I have two that have yet to reveal their names...yet. Harmless fun.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi NC
Our 'tradition' in our family is to call cars by either their maker, model (Ford, Saturn, Explorer etc) or job (RV, SUV). Guitars are by size or maker's last name.

So we have Dreadnought, OM, or mini-jumbo Olson, Bashkin, Voyage-Air, Kronbauer. Nothing more.

Not giving them child-status (or perhaps more serious) doesn't indicate to us any less importance nor inclusion in the life of our family.

I'm more along the lines of this.

I used to name guitars after women I was chasing. I was young and didn't end up keeping those guitars. Nor was I even close to dating those women.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:10 PM

I don't especially name guitars, they tend to just be "the Gretsch", "the Yamaha" etc. The exception would be my resonator which is sometimes referred to as "The Tin Toy".

I do find I usually want to refer to guitars as "she" though. Possibly because I'm from a seafaring family & had the female-pronoun-for-boats convention embedded at an early age.

Hear some footstomping acoustic blues at pistolpetewearn.co.uk!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:11 PM

No, The manufacturer did that for me.

Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion