The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Doubt he stole anyone's girlfriend, but he has fired dozens of people, dropped plenty of dealers, and has taken millions of dollars worth of business away from other builders. Many of those folks hang out on forums like this.
Wow! Nice bash. I guess I won't be asking you for a quote when I buy my next expensive guitar.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2 View Post
Wow! Nice bash. I guess I won't be asking you for a quote when I buy my next expensive guitar.
Now, I could be wrong, but given that Ted is a major Taylor dealer, I highly doubt he meant any of that as a negative against Taylor--he's simply saying those are the facts, and sometimes disgruntled people like fired employees or dropped dealers carry a chip on their shoulder against them.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
Now, I could be wrong, but given that Ted is a major Taylor dealer, I highly doubt he meant any of that as a negative against Taylor--he's simply saying those are the facts, and sometimes disgruntled people like fired employees or dropped dealers carry a chip on their shoulder against them.
Agreed. That's exactly how I took it and I'm sure Ted meant it. Not a bash.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Not a bash at all, in fact, quite the opposite. Like any efficient company, Taylor wont keep employees, or dealers around just to be nice, I mean when was the last time you read about bad Taylor customer service. With a company the size of Taylor, this means there are plenty of disgruntled people out there ready to jump at chance to bash them. For the most part these guys are easy to spot.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
So, instead of just talking about it, he invests in research to determine what the best way is.

And your problem with that is...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
So let's really cut to the chase: sounds like he's working on learning.

And really not sure where you got "absolutely nothing has been done" out of that quote.

Doesn't really sound like you're ready to "discuss" much of anything here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
So, feel free to "discuss" restoration.

Anytime....

Thought so.

Jimmy
i really don't have the time nor energy to try and dig into the details and try and discover if/and/or/how taylor is actually making a difference.

i see this as propaganda without any proof of sustainability nor restoration.

i guess time will tell.

none of you has presented any facts, either, i will add.

the fact remains that taylor guitars make lots of money from the harvest of ebony. consider that.

Last edited by mc1; 04-16-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post

I agree - I trust Ted to not be bashing any brand - even if it was a competitor. Why would he bash one of his own brands?!?!?

Anyway I didn't take it remotely as a bash but simply saying that's why OTHER people bash taylor.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-16-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Doubt he stole anyone's girlfriend, but he has fired dozens of people, dropped plenty of dealers, and has taken millions of dollars worth of business away from other builders. Many of those folks hang out on forums like this.
5 Taylors in, I guess Bob et al have taken some dough from me. D'oh!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i really don't have the time nor energy to try and dig into the details and try and discover if/and/or/how taylor is actually making a difference.

i guess time will tell.

the fact remains that taylor guitars make lots of money from the harvest of ebony. consider that.

Reasonable and healthy skepticism.

I also have no "facts" but only what I've seen that has sufficiently convinced me. I am convinced he is making a huge positive impact on the ebony trade. Look at his work with maple and Sitka (I've watched documentaries where he worked with Martin and Gibson even on conservation efforts).

Yes he does make a lot of money. As I stated in my first reply to this thread, don't automatically vilify him for making a lot of money.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-16-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Then you'll be missing some truly great deals.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:

i guess time will tell.

Are you still cutting to the chase?

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
I wonder how many posts it'll take for this thread to devolve into Taylor bashing and "this is just marketing."

Thanks for sharing the news bit.

I agree with your take on this. And obviously this serves as marketing, but so what. They're doing the right thing regardless.
I've often wondered why someone like Bob Taylor wouldn't just start a preserve of exotic species right here in the states.
I mean you can still find a ton of "relatively cheap" land in the warm areas here, as long as you stay away from the beach areas.
Imagine a 100 acre parcel of nothing but Rosewood and Ebony. Sure it takes a long time for them to mature, but once that happened, the company would be able to have the most prime cuts of wood available anywhere on a rotational basis.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And what will they do when it runs out? Trees grow slowly. Whether they care about the bottom line or wildlife habitats or global warming, they have every reason to invest in ebony preservation/reforestation.

I don't understand why this is a problem.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
And what will they do when it runs out? Trees grow slowly. Whether they care about the bottom line or wildlife habitats or global warming, they have every reason to invest in ebony preservation/reforestation.

I don't understand why this is a problem.
Because Taylor is making a lot of money, and we all know that people who make a lot of money are to be "guilty until proven innocent" when it comes to their true motives behind anything involved with their business. /sarcasm

Seriously, though, it seems that some people have this false dichotomy that profitable business strategies can't also be good for things other than making money. I think it's awesome when they do both!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:35 AM

I've not read Taylor's comments but is it fair to say that he is openly acknowledging his own company' contributions to this problem and trying to help repair the damage done? If so, it seems better than doing nothing at all but also hard to figure out if $400,000 even begins to make a difference. Is it, in fact, a $4,000,000 problem or a $40,000,000 problem....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-17-2016, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Enough (too much actually) has been said.

Closed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion