The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor Guitars Donates $400,000 Toward Ebony Conservation and Restoration in Cameroon

Article posted today in the 'Supplier Scene' section of the "Newsroom" of the MMR (Musical Merchandise Review) website:

Taylor Guitars Donates $400,000 Toward Ebony Conservation and Restoration in Cameroon

"Guitar maker Bob Taylor, of Taylor Guitars, has donated $400,000 to support ebony conservation research and restoration efforts in Cameroon..."

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I wonder how many posts it'll take for this thread to devolve into Taylor bashing and "this is just marketing."

Thanks for sharing the news bit.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
I wonder how many posts it'll take for this thread to devolve into Taylor bashing and "this is just marketing."

You nailed it, Bro!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of bob Taylor and what he is doing for forestry.

He is investing strategically.

I have seen him do it smartly in other areas of his business as well. He understands to have to spend money and invest not only to get a return but to do what is right.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I am a fan also.

And you know what some cynical people will never believe the good in anything.

But, you know what? I worked very closely with a guy who was like the Bob Taylor of the medical device industry. I worked very, very closely with him and knew him very well. He cared more about doing the right thing and helping keep patients safe and saving lives.

He took a tremendous amount of disparaging abuse and criticisms, in the same manner as the Taylor bashers are wont to do. Well.......he spent his life doing the right thing.

Independent experts declared that his work perpetually saves about 3000 lives every year. So he wanted everyone to get his work to everyone for the greater good.

He did that and made a little over $200M in the process. So, I know very well, from first-hand experience that people *CAN* be honest and selfless and working for a greater good, while having a very lucrative business.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 PM

I was under the impression Taylor controlled 80% of the ebony in the world now, and 100% of Cameroon's ebony stock. It makes sense for them incentivize farmers to be steward of the ebony seedlings, since typically forest are cleared to make way for growing crops. It also makes sense to dump some money into research, since it's "R&D" to make sure there is a future supply of ebony. As much as I like richlite, there will always be purist who detest the stuff.
2019 Taylor Academy 12e-N
Old 04-15-2016, 08:26 PM

i am a bob taylor fan also. i don't own any taylor guitars at the moment but i have and probably will again.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Classy act by a classy guy. Every time I see interviews with folks like Bob, Chris Martin and Ren Ferguson and hear how dedicated they are to guitars - past, present and future - I feel good about the guitar biz.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Cocobologist

I met Bob Taylor in 2002 and have had the pleasure of both professional and personal conversations with him over the years. I can say in no uncertain terms that he is about as honest and genuine a person as you will ever meet. He speaks frankly and acts with honesty and integrity -- A rarity in today's world. I have zero doubt in my mind that he is genuinely concerned with the state of global forestry in general, and Ebony in Africa specifically.

Think about it -- The situation has been worsening in that region for years with the species on the verge of extinction. Any large corporation could have whipped out their wallet, bought the rights and began wringing the remaining profit from the region. Instead, Taylor/Listug looks to the future and invests in the well being of their employees, improves the working conditions and efficiency of the mill, conserves and protects the diminishing natural resources, and then contributes close to a half-million dollars to research toward revitalization of the region.

What are the other large guitar brands doing to protect the resources? Sure, they show up to pose for a picture in front an old tree, but how many are actually putting their money where their mouth is?!?

A cynic will look at it as a way to line a corporation's pockets. Instead, I see a devoted conservationist seeking to strike a balance between the demands of an ever-growing global population with the desire to protect and sustain the limited resources remaining on this planet.

I commend Bob on his decision and will support him in any way that I can in his efforts to achieve this goal.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-15-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post

here i am, ready to discuss 'restoration' - let's quote bob:

Taylor said. “Now it’s time to plant trees in a meaningful way, but little is known about how to do it.”

so to cut to the chase, absolutely nothing has been done, and bob has no idea where to start.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post

Taylor said. “Now it’s time to plant trees in a meaningful way, but little is known about how to do it.”

so to cut to the chase, absolutely nothing has been done, and bob has no idea where to start.
So, instead of just talking about it, he invests in research to determine what the best way is.

And your problem with that is...?

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-15-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post

So let's really cut to the chase: sounds like he's working on learning.

And really not sure where you got "absolutely nothing has been done" out of that quote.

Doesn't really sound like you're ready to "discuss" much of anything here...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
So let's really cut to the chase: sounds like he's working on learning.

And really not sure where you got "absolutely nothing has been done" out of that quote.

Doesn't really sound like you're ready to "discuss" much of anything here...
Exactly, Phil...

Old 04-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I am a fan also.

And you know what some cynical people will never believe the good in anything.

But, you know what? I worked very closely with a guy who was like the Bob Taylor of the medical device industry. I worked very, very closely with him and knew him very well. He cared more about doing the right thing and helping keep patients safe and saving lives.

He took a tremendous amount of disparaging abuse and criticisms, in the same manner as the Taylor bashers are wont to do. Well.......he spent his life doing the right thing.

Independent experts declared that his work perpetually saves about 3000 lives every year. So he wanted everyone to get his work to everyone for the greater good.

He did that and made a little over $200M in the process. So, I know very well, from first-hand experience that people *CAN* be honest and selfless and working for a greater good, while having a very lucrative business.
Dean Kamen? I'm a big fan of the guy.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
So, I know very well, from first-hand experience that people *CAN* be honest and selfless and working for a greater good, while having a very lucrative business.
+400,000. Glad to see this hasn't devolved into big company bashing for the sake of it. Great donation and couldn't agree more with Fazfool's comments. I have seen examples in my field too

Last edited by CycleBob; 04-16-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion