The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2016, 05:04 PM

Default My completely subjective review of a handful of guitars I played today.

I took a long lunch break today and stopped by my favorite local(ish) guitar shop to see what they had in stock as I may be looking at a new guitar in the coming weeks. Here's what I played -- in order -- and my quick takeaways.

Collings D1
I played two of these actually. The first was more mellow and definitely had more of a sound you'd expect from a Martin. The second one had significantly more volume and clarity to individual notes and chords just rang out really nice. I expected this to be my favorite guitar of the visit. I loved the feel of the neck (1.75") and the guitar just looked and played beautifully.

Collings CJ mahogany
Definitely a change in sound from the D1 and not in a bad way. Think of a good J-45 sound and then add in a little bit more brightness and that's what this sounded like. If I didn't have a fantastic spruce/mahogany slope shoulder guitar at home that sounds as good or better (Fairbanks) I suspect I'd have fallen in love with this one, but since I've got that box checked, I'm after more of a Martin sound these days.

Martin 000-18
Wow. I was not prepared for how awesome this guitar was. I've never paid much attention to 000 models (I don't count the 000-15 as it's really an OM due to the long scale) but this may have changed that. It was louder than I expected and just had a deep, rich sound that I've never heard from a smaller guitar. The guitar looked great and I liked the feel of the Martin PA neck. My preconceived notion that I was after a Martin or Martin-esque dreadnought went out the window with this guitar.

Martin OM-28
Since I loved the 000-18 so much, I decided to grab a similarly-shaped rosewood model. After playing the three mahogany-based Collings guitars and the 18-series Martin, the OM-28 just felt a little subdued. While it had some nice lower end notes, it just didn't have the depth in the midrange that the 000-18 or the larger dreadnoughts had, nor did it have the volume of those four guitars. Looked really nice though -- I wish the D-28 and/or HD-28 had the same attention to detail and materials in terms of binding, tuners, headstock decal, et cetera. I also think all the standard models 15 series and up would benefit from the PA neck.

Martin D-18
I've played at least half a dozen different examples of the D-18 since Martin gave it some love a few years ago, and I'm always reminded why I want one. They're light and loud with a warm enough tone that just sounds right at any volume or in any style of play. Was it better than the D1 I played? Well, it was better than the first one -- and it was close enough to the second one that I'd have to sit down and go back and forth to pick a winner. Not only is the D-18 a great guitar for the price, I think it's a great guitar at any price.

That was about all I had time for today. I'm still very much interested in the classic spruce/mahogany Martin-style dreadnought, of which the D-18 and D1 are fantastic examples. But I'm also now intrigued by the 000-18, which had a slightly different sound than the dreadnoughts but had a sound that I found very compatible with my light to medium folksy strumming and finger picking.

If you've made it this far through my completely subjective review you get a fist bump. Way to go. Thanks for reading!
Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 PM

Nicely written.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

I wish my local guitar stores had that kind of selection! That sounded like a fun time.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-15-2016, 06:02 PM

Nice reviews, when you're talking Collings and Martin excellence is expected.

If the 000-18 impressed you, a fine guitar by the way, try an OM-18A. Mine has ruled my house, including far more expensive Martins, since the day I got it three years ago, truly a great model..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for a nice comparative review! Did you use a tuner to make sure all the guitars you played were at the same pitch, and did you play them in the same store location while facing the same direction? I know, I know, sorry, it's just me being me.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Nice review(s).
If you like the 000-18 try the 000-18 GE.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 04-15-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Nicely written.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I wish my local guitar stores had that kind of selection! That sounded like a fun time.
I could have spent all day there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Nice reviews, when you're talking Collings and Martin excellence is expected.

If the 000-18 impressed you, a fine guitar by the way, try an OM-18A. Mine has ruled my house, including far more expensive Martins, since the day I got it three years ago, truly a great model..........
Thanks -- I have admired your OM-18A in photos you've posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks for a nice comparative review! Did you use a tuner to make sure all the guitars you played were at the same pitch, and did you play them in the same store location while facing the same direction? I know, I know, sorry, it's just me being me.
Haha, no and somewhat. I think if I'd been there with intent to purchase -- I'm about halfway to a fitness goal before I can treat myself -- I'd have been a little more methodical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Nice review(s).
If you like the 000-18 try the 000-18 GE.
I'll keep my eyes out.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Nice review, thanks. The Collings D1 is an awesome guitar! Glad you got to try two of them...I'm surprised at the variance you noted.

Btw...I always enjoy when you post your Fairbanks leaning against the couch. Great photo, great lighting...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Nice review, thanks. The Collings D1 is an awesome guitar! Glad you got to try two of them...I'm surprised at the variance you noted.

Btw...I always enjoy when you post your Fairbanks leaning against the couch. Great photo, great lighting...
What's interesting is that they were distinctly different visually as well. The one with a warmer tone had a darker -- warmer-colored -- top that almost looked like cedar, whereas the louder one had a top that was a bit more of the color you'd expect from Sitka spruce.

Ha, sometimes I worry I'm too quick to post that photo to a sunburst or slope shoulder thread! Mostly I just want people to give Dale's work some serious thought if they're looking for that pre-war Gibson sound and aesthetic. He's a talented dude and I love that guitar.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I wish my local guitar stores had that kind of selection!
Around here I've never even seen a Martin 000-18 much less an OM-28!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
What's interesting is that they were distinctly different visually as well. The one with a warmer tone had a darker -- warmer-colored -- top that almost looked like cedar, whereas the louder one had a top that was a bit more of the color you'd expect from Sitka spruce.
This got me thinking...is it possible that the top on the darker colored D1 was torrefied, whereas the other was standard?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-15-2016, 11:03 PM

I recently played a new D-18 and was suprised how good it was. I'm really not a fan of newer Martins but I'm slowly changing my opinion.

I've played a few D1's and haven't been impressed so far.

As for 000-18, besides a D-18, they are one of my favorites guitars.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Hi Ataylor,

Sound like a fun break for you today. I have not had a chance to play the new 000-18, so it's interesting to hear your good reaction to it. And, your good reaction to the D-18. Enjoy the search!

- Glenn
Old 04-15-2016, 11:19 PM

Awesome post! It was very fun to read - I love getting the chance to stop by a well-stocked guitar store, and hearing of others' exploits brings a smile to my face.

A note on the Collings D1 vs. Martin D18: when I was shopping for my first serious guitar, I knew I wanted a rosewood OM/000, so two of the biggest contenders were the Martin OM-28 and Collings OM2H. The sound I was able to coax out of each seemed very similar! The workmanship on both was definitely stunning. One of the salesman said something that stuck with me: "A Martin's going to sound like a Martin. A boutique builder's guitar based on a Martin is going to sound pretty darn close to a Martin, but you're going to pay a whole lot more because it was built in a smaller workshop."

At the end of the day, while the sound from each guitar was very close, the price-tags weren't. I went with the Martin and have loved it each and every day! I do want to mention that I am by no means bashing Collings guitars, or any other small builder for that matter! They make undeniably amazing instruments, and when picking a guitar, it all boils down to personal preference, and everyone is different.
Martin OM-28 (2015)

Epiphone 1984 Explorer EX (2015)
Old 04-16-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
This got me thinking...is it possible that the top on the darker colored D1 was torrefied, whereas the other was standard?
I had that thought initially as well, but I don't think that's the case. I'm almost positive they're both standard models, with the lighter one having the 1.75" nut width. I think the one with the darker top just has naturally darker wood and has been on the wall longer, maybe getting a little more of a tan. There was also a D1A that was lighter in hue than both that I didn't try this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasin View Post
I recently played a new D-18 and was suprised how good it was. I'm really not a fan of newer Martins but I'm slowly changing my opinion.
That was kind of my line of thinking prior to 2012 as well. I liked the look and sound of the 15 series and didn't know why the "iconic" standard Martins didn't look or sound like they had the same attention to detail. I really like what they've done with the D-18 and others since in terms of both aesthetics and tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Ataylor,

Sound like a fun break for you today. I have not had a chance to play the new 000-18, so it's interesting to hear your good reaction to it. And, your good reaction to the D-18. Enjoy the search!

- Glenn
Give it a go when you get a chance, I think you'll like it! If memory serves, I think it would suit your playing rather well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMike View Post
Awesome post! It was very fun to read - I love getting the chance to stop by a well-stocked guitar store, and hearing of others' exploits brings a smile to my face.

A note on the Collings D1 vs. Martin D18: when I was shopping for my first serious guitar, I knew I wanted a rosewood OM/000, so two of the biggest contenders were the Martin OM-28 and Collings OM2H. The sound I was able to coax out of each seemed very similar! The workmanship on both was definitely stunning. One of the salesman said something that stuck with me: "A Martin's going to sound like a Martin. A boutique builder's guitar based on a Martin is going to sound pretty darn close to a Martin, but you're going to pay a whole lot more because it was built in a smaller workshop."

At the end of the day, while the sound from each guitar was very close, the price-tags weren't. I went with the Martin and have loved it each and every day! I do want to mention that I am by no means bashing Collings guitars, or any other small builder for that matter! They make undeniably amazing instruments, and when picking a guitar, it all boils down to personal preference, and everyone is different.
Thanks! Yeah, it's definitely an interesting comparison between the D-18 and the D1. Part of me is approaching it the exact same way you did, while the part of me that is a graphic designer by trade loves the attention to detail, aesthetic choices, and smaller-scale craftsmanship of something like a Collings. I also think the sound is different enough to my ear that it's not just about those things. But then part of me also loves the history and tradition behind the C.F. Martin company.

So who knows. It's entirely plausible that I'll end up with something from both at some point. Or maybe neither! I played a used Huss and Dalton a while back that was kind of a middle ground both in price, aesthetics, and sound! Haha

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion