The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Default possible dumb question

When a guitar company advertises something like 1 3/4 nut width as being good for fingerstyle (or even wider being good for fingerstyle) to the extent that that is something other than marketing nonsense, is the advantage that the fretting hand benefits from more space to fret precisely, or the fingerpicking hand needs the extra room? What's the theory there?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:49 PM

I'm not much of a fingerpicker, but my understanding has always been that wider spacing makes for easier picking.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

The finger picking hand benefits from wider string spacing because you use your fingers and they are bigger than picks are.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Again, research your own guitar industry and development.
Look at the specs of guitar necks prior to guitars being made into rhythm instruments.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Or you can do what I do. Ignore all the mumbo jumbo about nut size, and this and that and just go to a store and play guitars till one fits like a pair of shoes for the first time. The one that makes you say....AAAAAAAAAAA and then you are smiling.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:58 PM

Seems like the ads usually say it's great for fingerstyle, and strumming too!
Old 04-15-2016, 02:58 PM

Default Nut width

That's part of it, but saddle spacing, neck profile, frets and other considerations come into play as well.

Best option, as mentioned above, is just to play the heck ut of everything you can get your hands on. You'll know when you have the combination that works for you.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosewoodJoe View Post
is the advantage that the fretting hand benefits from more space to fret precisely, or the fingerpicking hand needs the extra room?
I would say both, based on my own limited experience. Strumming can hide a lot of sloppiness in fretting. A wider fretboard makes fretting individual strings easier without muting adjacent ones that are already sounding, and makes pull-offs easier. And the string spacing at the bridge makes picking individual strings easier.

Interestingly, note that Taylors all have a spacing at the bridge of 2-3/16". The 1xx and 2xx series have 1-11/16" nuts, but the 3xx and up have 1-3/4" nuts. 2-3/16" is adequate for fingerpicking, but they've specifically opened up the nut for guitars that are more likely to be used for fingerstyle. (It's true that the wider nut also makes the spacing at the soundhole a teeny bit wider.)
Old 04-15-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
I would say both, based on my own limited experience. Strumming can hide a lot of sloppiness in fretting. A wider fretboard makes fretting individual strings easier without muting adjacent ones that are already sounding, and makes pull-offs easier. And the string spacing at the bridge makes picking individual strings easier.

Interestingly, note that Taylors all have a spacing at the bridge of 2-3/16". The 1xx and 2xx series have 1-11/16" nuts, but the 3xx and up have 1-3/4" nuts. 2-3/16" is adequate for fingerpicking, but they've specifically opened up the nut for guitars that are more likely to be used for fingerstyle. (It's true that the wider nut also makes the spacing at the soundhole a teeny bit wider.)
Yep. What ^^^^ he said.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-15-2016, 03:30 PM

I have short stubby fingers for folks like me who's fingers interfere with the other strings it makes a big difference . For all my years playing I never tought about it never knew there was options lol

Back in the day I mostly strummed then finger picking came into the picture. I noticed that I had issues not being able to get clean pick chords because my fingers kept hitting the other strings but I had no idea there was different width nuts to consider so I just coped .

I have a clue now lol string spacing at the bridge to is benificial as well for the same reasons .

Everybody's fingers also move different in there strokes that comes into play .

You just need to find what works you best in this situation .

Hope this helps

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Seems like the ads usually say it's great for fingerstyle, and strumming too!
Fingerstyle, strumming, recording or live performance, solo or with an ensemble!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
Or you can do what I do. Ignore all the mumbo jumbo about nut size, ...
For me too. I have guitars that range from 1 11/16" to 1 13/16" and notice nothing different between them. If the guitar is comfortable to you it's good regardless of the nut width measurement. Many other more important specifications (like how it sounds and plays) to be concerned about.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosewoodJoe View Post
Fingerstyle, strumming, recording or live performance, solo or with an ensemble!
And skydiving! And Swimming!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:59 PM

When I was first learning to play guitar, I had a guitar with a 1 11/16 nut width. A friend sold me a guitar with a 1 3/4 nut width and I was amazed at how it was noticeably easier for my fretting hand (left) to finger the chords.

He assured me it would be easier and that over the long run it wouldn't limit me to only playing guitars with the 1 3/4 nut.

After about a year I picked up a guitar with a 1 11/16 nut and really struggled to finger the chords cleanly but after a couple of years I found I could change back and forth far more easily.

I play finger style and notice also a difference in easy of play-ability based on the bridge width.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 PM

Go play them all. I was playing 11/16s for years. Not anymore. I like better the 1 3/4.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion