The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 AM

Default NGD (NCD) New Collings Day

I purchased a 2015 Collings OM2H Short Scale that arrived today and it is gorgeous. Perfect as described. On arrival it underwent inspection & tuning. It is Excellent. It has new D'Addario strings on it so string experimentation will occur this weekend. It has gone back in the case for proper humidification (as I don't know where it's at after 5 days on the road. I'm heading to the mountains (as we're expecting 2 feet of snow this weekend (and one in the city) when I get there I will post photos and do an A/B with my 00028EC for comparison as they are both OM's with 1 3/4" nut, similar woods and short scale. Photos to follow as well. Thanks Glen.

Collings.jpg
Old 04-15-2016, 11:19 AM

Nice OM/000 stash you are accumulating. Seems like you are moving away from the dreads. Congrats! Tis a beauty!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:43 AM

Congrats -- I love a good OM.

Play it in good health.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
I purchased a 2015 Collings OM2H Short Scale that arrived today and it is gorgeous. Perfect as described. On arrival it underwent inspection & tuning. It is Excellent. It has new D'Addario strings on it so string experimentation will occur this weekend. It has gone back in the case for proper humidification (as I don't know where it's at after 5 days on the road. I'm heading to the mountains (as we're expecting 2 feet of snow this weekend (and one in the city) when I get there I will post photos and do an A/B with my 00028EC for comparison as they are both OM's with 1 3/4" nut, similar woods and short scale. Photos to follow as well. Thanks Glen.

Attachment 381
Uh-oh, I think I saw you recently post that nothing could sound better than or ever replace your Kinniard. Could the new Collings be a spoiler ?? Congrats! I'm also the happy owner of an OM1AH.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-15-2016, 12:08 PM

I was drooling over that one in the classifieds. I look forward to your comparison with the Clapton.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:22 PM

Nice going Pastor Steve! I think you're going to like that one!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Never met a Collings I didn't love!

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

That's a beauty. I'm a fan and have a few Collings OMs. I hope you enjoy yours. FWIW, I have found JP PB 600L strings sound really nice on that particular model. Of course, your tastes are your own. Good luck in the snow.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:17 PM

Congratulations. You're going to love it and I believe it'll make a terrific compliment to your Martin EC. Very different. I recently got a Collings OM2H-G short scale myself - and I love it. I concur with Haasome on the JP PB 600L strings, they are what I settled on after some experimentation (a bit warmer than the D'Addarios).

I'll be looking forward to read your impressions and see the photos soon.

Enjoy the Collings!
Old 04-15-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Uh-oh, I think I saw you recently post that nothing could sound better than or ever replace your Kinniard. Could the new Collings be a spoiler ?? Congrats! I'm also the happy owner of an OM1AH.
NO. The Kinnaird is what allowed me to sell my J45, J15 and D-41. It has a massive magic sound. The K is, however, not leaving the house. It also has a very unique sound that necessitates me having my needed Martin sound hence the Martin OM & 000. When I sold the D-41 I decided I wanted to sample a Collings OM. I sold 3 and picked up 3 so I remain flush. If I decide to move anything, it will take some considerable consideration, it will be the 000-28VS. I love the guitar but I am taking time to decide if I like the ergonomics of the 12-fret.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
That's a beauty. I'm a fan and have a few Collings OMs. I hope you enjoy yours. FWIW, I have found JP PB 600L strings sound really nice on that particular model. Of course, your tastes are your own. Good luck in the snow.
Thanks for that. I will be removing the EJ16's this weekend and trying a few different makes/models of strings. My go-to Martin 4100's are what I usually use but, I'll try some Gibson, Elixr's (which I usually dislike), and I'll order some JP PB600L's today and when they come in, try them as well. For me a new guitar is a couple of weeks full of experimentation to see where everything falls out. With a blizzard (around 2 feet of blowing snow) coming in over the next 4 days (and the wife busy in the city) I'll have a lot of Me/guitar time to play and play and......
Old 04-15-2016, 03:12 PM

After getting some time to play this - it is superb. With my decibel meter it is almost identical in volume as the EC (12 years old) and after recording the two back-to-back they are almost identical in tone and timber. They currently have different strings but they could be siblings instead of cousins. The V neck on the EC is slightly more pronounced than the OM2H but very similar here as well and since they both are 1 3/4" nut.... too close to differentiate. At the end of the day, a fine OM as one would expect.

IMG_1634.jpg IMG_1629.jpg IMG_1630.jpg IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg IMG_1638.jpg IMG_1639.jpg

Last edited by DenverSteve; 04-15-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 PM

Steve, Congrats!! Great pics. Enjoy your 'superb' Collings!
Old 04-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
NO. The Kinnaird is what allowed me to sell my J45, J15 and D-41. It has a massive magic sound. The K is, however, not leaving the house. It also has a very unique sound that necessitates me having my needed Martin sound hence the Martin OM & 000. When I sold the D-41 I decided I wanted to sample a Collings OM. I sold 3 and picked up 3 so I remain flush. If I decide to move anything, it will take some considerable consideration, it will be the 000-28VS. I love the guitar but I am taking time to decide if I like the ergonomics of the 12-fret.
Rev, you ought to get some "Hawg" into that tasty spice rack. I think a Collings OM1 or a Martin 000-18 would be a nice addition. I love the sonic differences between my rosewood and mahogany back/sides guitars. I have three 12 fretters and I love their feel and sound so hoping you and your 000-28VS can bond. Congrats again, have fun with that new Collings this weekend!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Enjoy skiing in two feet of powder and then enjoying your new Collings. Life is Good!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 04-15-2016 at 08:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion