The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2016, 07:52 AM

Nah... my calluses don't bug me. They're especially useful whenever I want to snuff out a match like Peter O'Toole did in Lawrence of Arabia.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
As a kid I had big calluses. Now they have been replaced with semi-hard skin that is still soft and I can bang away with no issues. Have I transcended calluses or do I need to play more?
Same for me.

I used to have them but then I learned the value of a good guitar set up and learned to loosen the Gorilla grip, the hard nasty callouses went away.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 AM

Like others have said, touch screens don't always respond the same. I've also found them to cause issues with nose picking. I get false bogey sensations all the time.

Mark
Old 04-15-2016, 01:30 PM

I get a really hard lumpy callus on my first finger which just annoyingly slides off the string even if I file it down. Solution is not to play for a bit and let it go a bit soft. And touch screens.

Oh well, First World problems!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
LOL: Due to an unfortunate accident, on my fretting hand, I lost one fingertip (it was reattached) and badly severed two others down to the bone. I haven't had feeling in those fingertips in years so the callouses make no difference at all.

FWIW, it took about 2-3 years after the mishap before I even tried to pick-up a guitar again.

Let me know if you want to see pictures of the chopped-off fingers and while the surgeon was getting ready to reattach one of them.

Ray
I can't be the only one that wants to see this, am I?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Had them since I was like 12, so no, they don't bother me in that I don't pick at them. They did interfere with my ability to palpate a vein when starting IVs or a pulse when doing A-lines - I had to use the pads of my fingers. But for the most part, no problem.
This for me as well. You learn, adapt, overcome.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 PM

At my age, I'm just happy something's still hard.

Last edited by Tico; 04-15-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:20 PM

Since I started playing bass, my main callous is on the side of my thumb. LOL

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 04-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I've been playing for 40 years.

The callouses on my left hand (fretting) fingers are about 3/16" deep and are smooth except for string ruts that last only for a short time after I stop playing. Other than that, with the exception of the very rare slight peel on a given finger, they are smooth and of no bother whatsoever. I have never needed to maintain in any way.

I'm a barefinger picker. The callouses on my right hand fingers are slight, really surface only with no apparent depth to them. Never a problem. I downstroke with the back of my nails. The side of my thumb has a thicker callous. I do pick with my pinky on occasion, so just minimal toughness on it.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slice View Post
Just let me know and I'll post e'm.

Was carrying an 80lb piece of metal that I just milled a dovetail into. Was moving it off the mill table. Oily, heavy... lost my grip. Slipped thru my hands, sliced through the gloves and took the fingertips right off.

Really sucked seeing them flopping around like that. I dunked rubbing alcohol on e'm, wrapped e'm up and drove myself to the ER. It was a clean slice and they stitched-up two and sewed the other back on -and put a metal pin to hold it straight. -Which accidentally bent a few days later while walking my dog. That finger has a funny bend in it now. Doesn't interfere with playing though...

Ray
Old 04-15-2016, 03:31 PM

Finger tip calluses are my friends. Sometimes I wish they were a little tougher, but that just means I haven't been playing enough lately. Easy fix.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Old 04-15-2016, 03:32 PM

I file mine and yes life has been different this past year with the calluses.....but I am proud to have them!!!

Here is a thread I started a year ago...I bought the stuff in post 12 here and helps, but only when away from playing...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=377542
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 04-15-2016, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warddix View Post
They interfere occasionally, like on touch screens, and serve as a nice reminder that I'd rather be playing my guitar....
Yup - touch screens - esp on the sat nav screen in my car!!
Old 04-16-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slice View Post
Just let me know and I'll post e'm.

Was carrying an 80lb piece of metal that I just milled a dovetail into. Was moving it off the mill table. Oily, heavy... lost my grip. Slipped thru my hands, sliced through the gloves and took the fingertips right off.

Really sucked seeing them flopping around like that. I dunked rubbing alcohol on e'm, wrapped e'm up and drove myself to the ER. It was a clean slice and they stitched-up two and sewed the other back on -and put a metal pin to hold it straight. -Which accidentally bent a few days later while walking my dog. That finger has a funny bend in it now. Doesn't interfere with playing though...

Ray

After reading this, the images in my head are enough to make me vomit. Ray, you win Braveheart of the day, my friend.

Hey slice, with a handle like yours, it's no wonder you want to see pictures
Old 04-16-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
Well, no, I love my calluses!
Same! I rub my thumb over my callouses all the time (when I'm not playing guitar) just to make sure they are still there. (They have become smooth over the years and you can't really see them).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion