The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2 View Post
Is it possible to negotiate prices with Sweetwater?

Yes I deal with Stewart Niven and he has always accommodated my pricing needs. Call and ask for him and let him know Alan O suggested you call. Just kindly ask what the best price he can do is and he will adjust if possible.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
Actually it does have forward shifted scalloped bracing. (Check out the spec list on the link in my OP). I believe the only differences between this and the standard HD-28 are the pickup, Adi top and tuners. Oh and the fretboard inlays.

Indeed. You are correct, according to one listing. However, there is a contraction in one if the descriptions. I'd ask them to verify.

Since it is exclusive to Sweetwater, I have to imagine they'll be liberal with the return policy, should it not meet your expectations.

Regarding Adi tops, I understand they require a little more time to break in because they are stiffer wood. But, they evidently have more headroom as a result.

After my experience with two dissimilarly sounding HD28 retros, in the same store, I'm inclined to play them first, unless I'm prepared to return them.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-07-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
After my experience with two dissimilarly sounding HD28 retros, in the same store, I'm inclined to play them first, unless I'm prepared to return them.
Agreed. I've played enough HD-28s and Martins in general to know that they're not all created equal. They currently have 4 in stock. So I think a road trip is in my future.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Actually it does have forward shifted scalloped bracing. (Check out the spec list on the link in my OP). I believe the only differences between this and the standard HD-28 are the pickup, Adi top and tuners. Oh and the fretboard inlays.
The standard HD-28 doesn't have forward-shifted scalloped bracing. The braces are scalloped but not shifted.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I've played enough HD-28s and Martins in general to know that they're not all created equal. They currently have 4 in stock. So I think a road trip is in my future.
Sounds like fun to me! Good luck.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
The standard HD-28 doesn't have forward-shifted scalloped bracing. The braces are scalloped but not shifted.
Oh, right... Now I'm confused. The description doesn't specify forward shifted, but the spec list does. Better clarify that for sure.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, right... Now I'm confused. The description doesn't specify forward shifted, but the spec list does. Better clarify that for sure.
Sorry to sow the seeds of doubt, but I didn't think the SW edition has FSSB. I think they use these spec sheet for the Retro and their product as a way to drive sales to their custom instrument. But, I suspect the specs are different for the bracing. Also check the nut width.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Sorry to sow the seeds of doubt, but I didn't think the SW edition has FSSB. I think they use these spec sheet for the Retro and their product as a way to drive sales to their custom instrument. But, I suspect the specs are different for the bracing. Also check the nut width.

No apology necessary! I appreciate the heads up. Neither are a deal breaker for a great sounding gigging guitar, but it will be nice to know.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:06 PM

Just thought I'd post an update - got a response from Sweetwater regarding bracing and nut width:

1.) Yes it is indeed forward shifted bracing.

2.) The nut width is 1.6875.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Just thought I'd post an update - got a response from Sweetwater regarding bracing and nut width:

1.) Yes it is indeed forward shifted bracing.

2.) The nut width is 1.6875.
Hope that works for you. Glad you confirmed FSSB.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:19 PM

Why is the sweetwater adi top with I beam pickup and scalloped forward shifted bracing 50 dollars less than a standard Martin hd28 when normally an hd28 with adi top and pickup and forward bracing would go for like 5000. Is there something crappy about it being exclusive to sweetwater, like they use cheaper wood or something? It doesn't make any sense it should cost way more
Old 04-15-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosshead View Post
Why is the sweetwater adi top with I beam pickup and scalloped forward shifted bracing 50 dollars less than a standard Martin hd28 when normally an hd28 with adi top and pickup and forward bracing would go for like 5000. Is there something crappy about it being exclusive to sweetwater, like they use cheaper wood or something? It doesn't make any sense it should cost way more
Because they aren't selling?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosshead View Post
Right now, Sweetwater is having an Instant Rebate Sale with $1001 off on the Martin HD-28E Sweetwater Edition with Adirondack top, forward-shifted/scalloped braces, and IBeam pickup/preamp system. I'm suspecting it's because the IBeam pickup/preamp system isn't too popular with many players and Sweetwater now realizes they shouldn't have installed it in this or any edition guitar because, as Martingitdave mentioned, they aren't selling, and they're trying to blow 'em out the door. This is an excellent deal and you can easily swap-out the IBeam pickup/preamp system for something better!

Retail Price: $6216.32 - Regular Sweetwater Savings of $2217.32 - $1001 Instant Rebate = $2998
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-15-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:06 PM

This does sound like a pretty sweet deal.
IG
2014 Shippey Oval Hole Mandolin
2016 Martin HD28.
Schertler Jam 150 amp.
Neumann TLM 102 mic.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeo View Post
This does sound like a pretty sweet deal.
IG
Not to be a contrarian, but I think you can do better with one if the sponsors if you just want an HD28. There are a few upgrades on that model that make it more like an HD28V with pickup. From that perspective, it's a fair deal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion