The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2016, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Box for picks

I've struggled with pick storage forever, and have a few plastic compartmental parts boxes full of them, but they aren't something I want to keep out, so I've used a glass bowl until this week. Throw a mix of flat picks and finger picks in a bowl and the flat pics will drop to the bottom and you hunt for the ones you want.

I was haunting antique stores looking for light fixtures for my daughter, when amoungst a pile of fishing gear was a long narrow and shallow beat up pine box, riddled with little pin holes. Must have been for keeping spinners in a tackle box. I brought it home, and found that thumb picks had just enough clearance, flat picks could be spread out and visible, and even a Shubb capo fit.

So now everything is neat, tidy, and accessible. Looks vintage too.

I'll try to post a pic.

I had a goofy idea yesterday. Everyone has piles of picks they don't use. Is there any interest in a pick swap? It would work like this: send five picks and a self addressed envelope to me and I'd send you back five picks from a different member, totally at random. Would cost you two stamps and two envelops.
Could be fun.

If I get any interest, I'll start a new thread.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-30-2016, 01:19 PM

An empty tin of Sucrets throat lozenges has been used by many people
over the years.

I myself made a little box out of walnut or my favorite picks.
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
Mid 80's Alvarez 5009 classical
63 Yamaha No100 classical
89 Gibson Les Paul Standard
04 Gibson Les Paul Supreme
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
05 Gibson SG Special Peter Townsend
95 G&L Legacy
Old 01-30-2016, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I only have one type of flat pick....solid black extra heavy Fender 351's.

I buy them by the gross every several years, replacing them when I'm down to about a dozen or so. They live in the box that they came to me in. I always keep a few in each guitar case too.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:53 PM

After years of trying to think of a place to keep them, I now just leave them in the dryer.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
I only have one type of flat pick....solid black extra heavy Fender 351's.

I buy them by the gross every several years, replacing them when I'm down to about a dozen or so. They live in the box that they came to me in. I always keep a few in each guitar case too.

Interesting, I use X-Heavy Fender white picks pretty much exclusively. I'm wondering if there could possibly be a difference in tone (black/white) due to the manufacturing process. Have you tried the white ones? (I bought a gross four years ago, but have only used three. I can't seem to wear them out, and I seldom lose a pick.)
Old 01-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
After years of trying to think of a place to keep them, I now just leave them in the dryer.
Yes, I do that too.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a pic. Vintage Thorens 124 turntable in background.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-30-2016, 03:52 PM

How Many Picks could a pick box hold if pick box could hold picks?

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 01-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Hi B1

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-30-2016, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I've got one word for you: Cigar boxes

The local liquor chain also sells cigars. When they empty a box they put them out next to the humidor and you can buy them for $1 for cardboard, $2 for wood. There are some sexy nice cigar boxes in the world. I've picked up several for picks and pencils and things. They look very manly and attractive.

And they smell good too !
Old 01-30-2016, 04:53 PM

Making a pick / accessories box is an excellent opportunity to practice up on marquetry, fretting, and inlaying skills:

Old 01-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Making a pick / accessories box is an excellent opportunity to practice up on marquetry, fretting, and inlaying skills:

That's a beautiful box.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Interesting, I use X-Heavy Fender white picks pretty much exclusively. I'm wondering if there could possibly be a difference in tone (black/white) due to the manufacturing process. Have you tried the white ones? (I bought a gross four years ago, but have only used three. I can't seem to wear them out, and I seldom lose a pick.)
I can't speak to any differences between the white and black celluloid picks, but there's definitely a difference between the white and tortoiseshell celluloid picks in the same gauges. The white picks are just a bit stiffer and less flexible than the tortoiseshell.

I noticed first noticed this back in the 1980's, when I could still get white celluloid picks in medium-heavy gauge. D'Andrea, which makes the Fender and Martin picks (as well as the ones that have the D'Andrea name on them) stopped using the white .84mm celluloid stock sometime in the late 80's or early 90's, so those are no longer available.

So I treasure the remaining white medium-heavies I still have.

As for pick storage, I'm one of those guys who likes to have multiple stashes of picks. I have a small stash of picks in the case pocket of every instrument I ever take outside of the house, along with a capo, guitar strap and electronic tuner. That way I can just grab a case handle and go whenever needed without having to stop and check every little detail.

In most of those case pockets I've got maybe a dozen picks in one of those little ziplock bags that you can get at electronics stores. Even though most of them are all the same medium-heavy gauge, there's some slight variation in how much flex all of them have, not just between the white and tortoiseshell celluloid picks, but between different tortoiseshell examples. So I like having several to choose from depending on what kind of sound and musical style the next song will be.

In addition to the Sucrets tin that jman60 mentioned, I've also got a little tin "Whitman's Sampler" box that came with four chocolates in it. In the past couple of years I've also gotten into using these little wooden pick boxes that you can get for $10 from Blue Chip:

Elderly Instruments has these now, too, and is only asking $6.95 for them now:

When I bought a couple of the Elderly pick boxes a month ago, they were on sale for $7.95 apiece, marked down from $9.95. The fact that they've been marked down a dollar more since then indicates to me that they're closing them out, and won't be carrying them once this batch is gone.

All that aside, since I have both Blue Chip and Elderly pick boxes now and can compare them side by side, I can state that they're clearly from the same vendor. They're good quality.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-30-2016, 05:13 PM

I like it, Br1ck. I used an empty, see through plastic Seymour Duncan pickup container (that you get when you buy an electric guitar pickup). There are two halves sitting on my table in front of me with some picks in each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Yes, I do that too.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a pic. Vintage Thorens 124 turntable in background.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I would think that color wouldn't matter, but who knows? It's possible that whatever additive is used for color could somehow make a subtle difference in the finished material. I'm very unfussy about my picks, so any difference would go right over my head anyway.

Yeah.....they wear like iron. I've had maybe two of them break over the last forty or so years.

I stopped experimenting with picks long ago. I've never found anything I like better.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:20 PM

For inside the guitar case, I use a prescription pill bottle.
I suppose a 35mm film canister would work as well.

I also use a weekly pill planner with the larger pockets for surplus picks.
It is large enough for the larger flat picks.
I only have a couple thumb picks and I have yet to get the, to work well for me, so I do not worry much about their storage.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion