The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Default Value of Eastman E20SS "Factory Second"

Hello everyone. It's finally my turn to ask a question on this wonderful forum!

I have the opportunity to buy a second-hand Eastman E20SS "factory second" (indicated by a big "2" on the back of the headstock). Eastmans are relatively hard to find here in the UK, so I was wondering about what a reasonable price would be. Would $700 be about right? (I'm using Google to convert to US dollars). That's about half what a brand new one would cost me over here (even if I could find one).

I'm assuming "factory second" refers to cosmetic issues only, which I'm not too concerned about. I've never purchased a second-hand guitar, so all advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I've seen factory seconds where I couldn't see an issue, and others with some flaw that would bug me for all time. Only you can answer for yourself if something would be a problem for you. Otherwise, if it is the guitar for you at a price you can afford, why not? Not knowing your market, I can't comment on value, but if you are not likely to find another, I'd buy it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-26-2015, 07:28 PM

Make sure the neck angle is OK, i.e., there's enough saddle height to get the action where you want it. Price seems high to me for a used factory second.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion