The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 PM

My Blue Chips sit in my case.

I love Gary Wagner's the real deal

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 09-04-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine M View Post
If you don't like a muddy sound then I wouldn't recommend BC. To me, they smooth out the zinginess in a guitar.
That makes 'em muddy sounding? Can't say I agree.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Monster View Post
My Blue Chips sit in my case.

I love Gary Wagner's the real deal
Do you know if Gary Wagner will reshape an already existing TS pick?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 AM

Yes, go to Marylin Mair site for contact info

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 09-05-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Monster View Post
Yes, go to Marylin Mair site for contact info
Thank you.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Let's say a Wegen pick and a Blue Chip pick have the same thickness and shape. Will the Blue Chip be darker, brighter, or about the same as the Wegen? Thanks.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Bumping this thread for some feedback...
I think I'd like to try another Blue Chip. I had the Thile 55, and while it was nice on my mandolin, I thought it was too dark and rigid for guitar (75% strumming).
I current use and really like the Wegen 120 picks.
Which Blue Chip do you Blue Chip users think I should look for...I'm assuming a 40 (TD40), a 45, or a 50? Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericduplantis View Post
The closest BC to my Wegen .120 in sound and feel is my TAD 45.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
I agree with this completely. However lately I've been enjoying slightly smaller picks so my favorite Blue Chip of the moment is a TP-1R 45. The TP shape is a little smaller than the TAD shape, which gives it a little more control for me. The "1R" means it has one rounded corner (and two pointed corners), which I also highly recommend - the rounded corner is great for switching up the tone between strumming and picking.

-Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorCocobolo View Post
I highly recommend a TP-1R 50 or TP-1R 60

They are the perfect BC style for strumming and flat picking. You will get a very loud, clear, and full sound with those styles. No harshness or excessive pick noise either
Thanks for all the great feedback. I purchased a used TP50 today. Looking forward to trying it. I'm loving the Wegen TF120 more and more every day.

With it, I've found I can go brighter than I usually would with the strings. The combination of the bright strings + the Wegen produces wonderful results. Hoping for the same, and even better, with the Blue Chip!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Let's say a Wegen pick and a Blue Chip pick have the same thickness and shape. Will the Blue Chip be darker, brighter, or about the same as the Wegen? Thanks.
In my experience the Blue Chip will be more mellow, a bit sweeter, but nice and clear. The Wegen is a little brighter and a little "rougher" (which is not a bad thing).

-Mike
Old 09-07-2015, 11:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
JW, I'm essentially a rhythm guitarist and also use medium gauge strings. I've been able to try out some other folks' Blue Chip picks, and the only one I've decided I like for my own use is the TD-35:

It's the only one that has any flex to it at all. All the others, including the TD-40, are rigid. I initially bought two of each, thinking I might like the TD-40 on my baritone guitar, on which I will sometimes use Fender heavy picks.

But the TD-40 didn't do it for me, so I ended up trading those off to a couple of friends.

If I may make a suggestion, when picks are that expensive you're going to want to be able to keep track of them. So I highly recommend getting the little wooden pick box that Blue Chip sells for 10 bucks:

When I use my Blue Chip picks, that's where they go the instant I'm done.

It makes keeping track of them that much simpler.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade, hi, long time no talk (been too busy w great music things happening to be on AGF).

FYI, a much simpler and cheaper solution: For the same storage purpose, I used empty Altoids boxes. The small one will easily hold a half dozen or more BCs, and the large one several hundred dollars worth. Also doesn't advertise what you have, so very low profile.

Anyway, I agree with you in principle.

I also use a clear plastic, rectangular box with multiple chambers (like one for fly fishings lures) and a fold-down lock-down lid to take all my capos, tuners and pics in one package. Fits very nicely in the large, outside pocket of a decent gig bag.

My three cents....

Scott M.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Scott, though up here in Alaska we haven't yet been hit with a wave of Blue Chip pick thieves targeting players who are foolish enough to get those wooden boxes with the Blue Chip logo on them....

One reason I like the wooden boxes is that they're small, and with the mandolin case that's an issue. Altoid tins take up a bit more space.

Anyway, whatever works!

whm
Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Scott, though up here in Alaska we haven't yet been hit with a wave of Blue Chip pick thieves targeting players who are foolish enough to get those wooden boxes with the Blue Chip logo on them....

One reason I like the wooden boxes is that they're small, and with the mandolin case that's an issue. Altoid tins take up a bit more space.

Anyway, whatever works!

whm
Well, you know me, Wade, I like to fly below the radar -- even Alaskan radar. And besides, in SoCal here, there has been a rash of BC thefts at local jams. They leave the guitars, and just take the pics.

BTW, Wade, I just measured it, and the tiniest Altoid box is 2.25 x 2.5 x 0.5 inches. And we are just too nerdy for our own good.

G'Night!

sm
Old 12-04-2015, 06:44 PM

Default I got this prize in the mail today

My first Blue Chip arrived today. All I can say is WOW! I've been playing/hacking on guitar for 45 years and I have never known how huge a difference a pick makes. I got the TAD50-1R. I am amazed at the improvement in tone. My wife was listening in the kitchen as I strummed with my previous go to pic and switched to the new Blue Chip. She said, that sounds much better. To my shock, the difference in tone in the Blue Chip from the pointed to the rounded tip is absolutely amazing. I thought I'd lost my mind spending $35 (plus $5) for engraving on a single pick. Now, I know I lost my mind by not finding this earlier. Great tone, easier to play, I am thrilled with this purchase. I posted a link to a picture in photobucket but it doesn't seem to show up. I got the wooden case (engraved) along with the TAD50-1R (engraved.)

Last edited by TheJackal; 12-04-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added explanation corrected spelling
Old 12-04-2015, 08:41 PM

Just took advantage of the holiday free shipping and ordered a TAD-40. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I'd like to take a gamble on a BC pick but don't know which one. Most of guitars are dreads with Medium strings. I'm mostly a strummer but like a righter sound not a muddy sound that I get with some thicker picks. I also don't like the real metallic sound I get with thicker Vpicks.
I just got a TD-35 and really like it. Standard pick shape so doesn't take a lot of getting used too.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

This

3 35s and a 40. keeps you rockin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion