The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Default spike driver blues

Does anyone have or know where to get a tab for spike drivers blues? I have a CD/book taught by Merle Watson but it doesn't sound like the videos I'm seeing on YouTube. I'm pretty sure I'm playing the tab correctly and the CD sounds a little different as well. I've been trying to follow some of the lessons on YouTube but a tab would certainly help.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:21 PM

found several on google.com
http://www.guitarnick.com/spike-driv...erpicking.html
Old 12-18-2014, 05:30 PM

There is an early (simple) version, and there is a later version (Mississippi John Hurt added more notes and flourishes over the years as he played in various clubs). I just looked at a YouTube from 1963, which I'd consider a "late "version. That is the version I have learned. Don't have tab for it though. But this may explain why the version you have in your book doesn't sound like the YouTubes you are watching.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion