The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 PM

Smile Reflections on one year of AGF

I am now a one-year member of the forum, and wanted to commemorate that.

1. I have spent about 1000 hours practicing and playing the guitar over the past year, far far more than ever before, and probably as much as the prior 15 years combined. I kept a journal of all my practice, that is about 25 pages long.
2. I LOVE my Allison Honduran Mahogany/German Spruce dreadnought that I bought just over a year ago. I wish I could have one of you top-flight players to record it for public display, because I think it's the finest guitar anywhere, but I cannot really do it justice.
3. I have learned SO MUCH on AGF:
a. I learned that I was not at all an intermediate player, as I had thought, but a mid-level beginner, after so many years of dabbling. I might be a low-level intermediate now.
b. I now know more about woods, brands, luthiers, bracing, intonation, humidity, finishes, etc. than almost any guitar store employee of the shops I go into.
c. Thanks to RickSlo/Ljguitar/TobyWalker/JonPR and all the other patient professionals on here, I have become so much more focused on practice that works, and on slowing down to actually master something instead of the scattered playing I used to do.
4. I have money set aside for another very nice guitar, and scour the classifieds on AGF every day (twice) for what it's going to be. Some of the guitars that go past are incredible: that Charis right now with the two bevels, that Ryan Nightingale that sold recently, that McAllister Brazilian out in Albuquerque, and cool rare luthier things like that Gallagher that didn't sell, or the RK that's for sale now--I can't wait for my NGD this year because it's going to be great!
5. Thanks to AGF, I have a John Pearse armrest, a BlueChip pick, a VPick (that I won!), a Toby Walker DVD, an Apogee Mic, an account with SoundCloud, a homemade sponge humidifier, and some friends in my town to play music with.
6. I really appreciate the tone of this forum. It's hard to be smart, passionate, and nice, all three at the same time, and I think this group is all three.

Thanks for sharing a great year of guitar with me!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Since I was too green last year to do a NGD post, here is my guitar, one year later....

Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Well done.

I need to stop goofing around and really LEARN something. I guess I need a bigger boot to the head than you needed.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 04-08-2014, 10:49 PM

Nice post Travis,congrats on your AGF-Bday... I like it here too... that Alison sure is a beauty. Stay with it, progress comes in surges amid slumps.

BD

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 PM

I took a long journey here. Learned more than I thought I ever could from the internet on this subject. Bought guitars, sold guitars. Too many. GAS is an infectious disease.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion