The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 04:01 PM

Default Modifying Thumb/fingerpicks

There have been a few threads about thumbpicks and fingerpicks that players like. Personally I like Fred Kelly Freedom picks, but I seem to be in the minority on that. One thing I have found is that for me, ALL fingerpicks need to be modified for fit and comfort. I often file edges that stick into my skin for more comfort.

But I found this site which has some ideas for modifying that I had not seen. Fingerpick slippage is one problem I have with the FK Freedoms. I am going to try the Plastidip trick.

Check it out:

http://www.resonatorguitarguide.com/...aying/#more-86
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster
Old 03-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLedge View Post
There have been a few threads about thumbpicks and fingerpicks that players like. Personally I like Fred Kelly Freedom picks, but I seem to be in the minority on that. One thing I have found is that for me, ALL fingerpicks need to be modified for fit and comfort. I often file edges that stick into my skin for more comfort.

But I found this site which has some ideas for modifying that I had not seen. Fingerpick slippage is one problem I have with the FK Freedoms. I am going to try the Plastidip trick.

Check it out:

http://www.resonatorguitarguide.com/...aying/#more-86
I've always had to make some alterations to finger and thumb picks that I've used. As you say, many of them need to have sharp edges removed, and most need to be made to fit your own hand. I also change the playing tip on most of them, shortening, rounding and polishing. Even plectrums often need altering a little for me, usually by rounding and polishing the tip.
The polishing the tip is particularly important if you want a decent tone.
Having said all of that, I'm back to nails only at the moment, and I fuss with them too.
MJRB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion