The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2016, 03:55 PM

Default New found love for 80/20's

I've had a 2010 custom D-18 Clay Hess from Jon @ MFG for 6 years, since new. After experimenting initially with different strings when I first bought it, I had settled on D'Addario EJ-17's (PB Mediums), and have been playing them ever since.

It's a great guitar, but was very tight/new sounding for a long time. It has only recently started to open-up a bit, but has always been "dark" sounding compared to some other guitars. If played in a group setting, it all but disappeared in the mix. Didn't seem to matter how aggressive the attack, it would get louder with tons of overhead, but just blended in, without any real cut. I use a heavier pick, and I know that can tend to round out the tone a bit, too, but just feels better to me. The guitar always had plenty of thump, but it was strictly rhythm, I couldn't make it cry or sing!

As I started learning to pick some single note & lead type stuff, I began wanting a little more out of it. Mostly so it could be heard over the strumming, when it was my turn to break.

So, I went back to the basics & decided to re-visit a set of EJ-12's (80/20 Mediums), and voila: the guitar is now "brighter" sounding, in a good way! Can't believe I waited this long to try these strings again. I thought I might be sacrificing something, but that simply wasn't the case.

Just goes to show that I need to keep an open mind on this journey, as even our own perception of what's "best" can change. I've got a set of D'Addario Nickle Bronze Mediums on deck, as well, but those are slated to try on a different guitar.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:03 PM

LOOOOOOVE the burst on your Martin. I like 80/20s on hogs as well. Just enough brightness to create wonderful tone.

From the pic, I guess Florida? maybe?
Old 06-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Beautiful D18! Glad you've found some strings that make it what you need it to be. While I love EJ17s on mine, I throw on a set of 80/20 every now and again and always love the tone. But PBs just call to me, I reckon, so I always go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. I like the 80/20s on my Larrivee

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion