The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2015, 07:52 AM

Anybody know the exact thickness of a 35 and 40? Is it .35mm and .40mm or does this refer to .035" and .045"?
Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Anybody know the exact thickness of a 35 and 40? Is it .35mm and .40mm or does this refer to .035" and .045"?
No, the TD35 in .89, like a Totex green, I believe, and the TD40 is 1.0. (You have to click "product" description" on their site to see this info).

They also just came out with a TD45, which is 1.143, and are offering free engraving and shipping. I just ordered one myself.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
They likely can... just ask them! I once had them make me a TP-35... no problem, same price.
They are offering a standard TD45 now:

http://shop.bluechippick.net/td45/
Old 01-14-2016, 01:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I had two of each, and found that while I love the TD-35, the TD-40's were mostly going unused. So I traded those off, and now have two pairs of TD-35's, one pair in its little wooden box in my mandolin case cover pocket, the other in the same kind of box in my baritone guitar case pocket.

whm
Wade, do you use one of the TD-35s to play mando? If so, the sharp tip on the bottom, or one of the rounded shoulders on the top?

I got hooked really early on on the rounded tri-corner shape ala Golden Gate and Dawgs, and now I really can't play anything else. Not that I'm Chris Thile or David Grisman on mando. More like Barney Fife.

Just curious. I find on tremelo a really pointed tip hangs up on one of the two strings.

Take Care, Bud,

Scott
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
The model numbers are a bit confusing. I like the Dunlop system, where the thickness is built right into the model number and also imprinted on the pick itself.

sm
Old 03-03-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
The number designations are simply how many thousandths of an inch the thickness is, instead of mm.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
The model numbers are a bit confusing. I like the Dunlop system, where the thickness is built right into the model number and also imprinted on the pick itself.

sm
The number is printed in large print on my blue chip picks. I don't find it confusing at all, once you realize that the model number is the actual thickness of the pick measured in thousandths of an inch, not mm like most picks are.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
The number is printed in large print on my blue chip picks. I don't find it confusing at all, once you realize that the model number is the actual thickness of the pick measured in thousandths of an inch, not mm like most picks are.
Good point, Allen. I just find it confusing because the whole pick world -- including Dunlop, the best and largest pick company in the world -- has gone metric.

BTW, in fabricating our own materials, I discovered the reason why: All machine shops and fabricators have stayed with the English system since time immemorial. Since Blue Chip started as a machine shop, not a pick manufacturer, this is the system they are familiar with and have always used.

Thanks for explaining that, Allen. I never actually understood their model numbering system.

Scott
Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

This is the one that I use and like Wade, it always goes back into it's little home when I'm done.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Good point, Allen. I just find it confusing because the whole pick world -- including Dunlop, the best and largest pick company in the world -- has gone metric.

BTW, in fabricating our own materials, I discovered the reason why: All machine shops and fabricators have stayed with the English system since time immemorial. Since Blue Chip started as a machine shop, not a pick manufacturer, this is the system they are familiar with and have always used.

Thanks for explaining that, Allen. I never actually understood their model numbering system.

Scott
Blue Chip not only started as a machine shop, they still operate as a machine shop first and foremost. Matt Goins is a musician himself and stumbled on the materials he uses as a pick. Which likely shapes his marketing strategy, or lack thereof as some see it. He is not trying to make a bunch of money on the picks, even though most folks think the price for one is high he is mostly only covering costs for the expensive sheets of material they are made from. That also might help explain why he doesn't really care about how Dunlop or anyone else numbers their picks. He pretty much does his own thing, will be the first to tell anyone that his picks may not be to everyone's liking, and offers your money back if you don't like the pick. I think that's about the most anyone could ask for.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

My favorite for strumming is the TD-35, I also have a TD-40 and it's fine too but seems like I mostly grab the TD-35. This is my favorite out of all the picks that I've tried.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
Blue Chip not only started as a machine shop, they still operate as a machine shop first and foremost. Matt Goins is a musician himself and stumbled on the materials he uses as a pick. Which likely shapes his marketing strategy, or lack thereof as some see it. He is not trying to make a bunch of money on the picks, even though most folks think the price for one is high he is mostly only covering costs for the expensive sheets of material they are made from. That also might help explain why he doesn't really care about how Dunlop or anyone else numbers their picks. He pretty much does his own thing, will be the first to tell anyone that his picks may not be to everyone's liking, and offers your money back if you don't like the pick. I think that's about the most anyone could ask for.
For the record, Allen, I think Matt does an incredible job. The product is beautifully machined and finished, and it's obvious they know what the heck they're doing as a machine shop.

Your info corroborates everything I've heard from other folks who know the Goins family. What he's done is remarkable in a very mature market: To discover a new material that has essentially revolutionized the way we look at guitar picks. Wow, that's quite an accomplishment.

Great stuff, Allen. Thanks for educating us on some of this inside info.

Scott
Old 04-16-2016, 09:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

My favorite for strumming is the TD-35, I also have a TD-40 and it's fine too but seems like I mostly grab the TD-35. This is my favorite out of all the picks that I've tried.[/QUOTE]

Mike, hi, I don't know if you've heard about our .75 mm model. We blew through everything we had in seven days, but have more hitting around the first week in May. I guess this would be, what, around a TD-30 thickness, right?

We've been blown away (and so have our customers) by the tone and feel of this model. I've been playing for more than forty (40) years, and I've never heard ANY man-made pick approach the warmth and brightness of this material. Considering just tone (not stiffness, rigidity, accuracy, etc.) I believe this to be the finest sounding guitar pick on the planet below 1.0 mm right now. I'd go so far as to say no other model or company -- including us! -- makes anything that even belongs in the conversation.

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 04-16-2016 at 10:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion