The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2016, 08:28 AM

Default Can't decide! 0015E or 322ce (2016)

Hi Guys,

Having trouble deciding between these two guitars as I can't find either in the shops where I'm currently living in North West Spain. I'm pretty sure if I had both in a shop it would make my life a lot easier. I may even jump on a plane to Madrid if I can't decide.

Looking to get a small intimate acoustic mainly for home use. I want electrics inside as I like to experiment with effected plunged in sounds and use a looper when practicing. Short scale and 1 3/4 nut widths are a must.

Playabilty is just as important as tone as I like to play a bit of blues lead and intend using most of the fretboard up to the 14th fret.

I also want a guitar that I can grow old with. I've bought and sold too many guitars over the years so I'd really like to pick the right one that will stay the course of time with me.

My style of playing is pretty much a mixed bag so versatility is important too, but that's more to do with my input any less about the guitar.

From the youtube videos i've seen, I love the look of both guitars but can't decide between the sounds. They're different but equally pleasant sounding.

If any of you guys have either guitar I'd sure like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
Sean
Old 04-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Decide

IMHO-
The Taylor has a 'thinner' sound than the Martin.
Both are quality built instruments.
My ear says Martin.
Yours may vary.
I prefer a more full tone with a more pronounced bass.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:23 AM

I haven't had a chance to play the 322ce yet. As it's so new I haven't found it in any of the local shops around me. I have played the 00-15E. The tone was surprisingly not as woody or mellow as I've came to expect from all mahogany martin guitar. Overall thought I lean on the martin tone, especially for mahogany.

Might I suggest you also check out the jeff tweedy model?

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...b-jeff-tweedy/

You might find that it would be right up your alley, however if you are haven't issues checking out your previous two mentioned model, this one might be even harder to find.
2019 Taylor Academy 12e-N
Old 04-16-2016, 09:35 AM

Just a note, the Martin is normal, or long scale. I have the 2016 322 12 Fret (no electronics or cutaway), sound is far from thin and plays very nicely. You might consider the 12 fret version of the 322ce, also.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I've played a number of Martin and Taylor mahogany tops, owned a 00-15 for a very short while, but now am the proud owner of a Taylor 526. The Martins have always seemed to be darker sounding and reduced volume and projection and I don't care for the neck profile. The first time I picked up a Taylor all-hog I knew I would own one! The neck is perfect for me and the tone was a great mix of mahogany fundamentals and Taylor's bright, balanced tone. I'm not necessarily a fan of Taylor's spruce-topped guitars, but the mahogany tops press all the right buttons for my style!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
I've played a number of Martin and Taylor mahogany tops, owned a 00-15 for a very short while, but now am the proud owner of a Taylor 526. The Martins have always seemed to be darker sounding and reduced volume and projection and I don't care for the neck profile. The first time I picked up a Taylor all-hog I knew I would own one! The neck is perfect for me and the tone was a great mix of mahogany fundamentals and Taylor's bright, balanced tone. I'm not necessarily a fan of Taylor's spruce-topped guitars, but the mahogany tops press all the right buttons for my style!
I'm with you, I'm not a fan of the Taylor's brightness (yet ironically I do own a Taylor). The way I see it, a mahogany shouldn't have that shimmer...it's meant to be mellow and woody

I have yet to try out their new re-voiced 500 series, if it departs from their typical treble shimmer....I may be so intice to pick one up
2019 Taylor Academy 12e-N
Old 04-16-2016, 11:33 AM

Thanks guys,

The new Martin 0015E Retro is a shorter scale model.

I had a basic 200 series Taylor nylon for a project a few years ago and was struck by the cleanliness and quality of build. It was nice played softly but due to the laminates it didn't respond to harder attack.

I also had a Martin D15 for a while which was a great guitar but it was just a bit too much for apartment use but it did sound wonderful.

I loved the haptics of both guitars especially the satin neck finishes so I'm sure I'd love the finish of either of my choices.

I think the Taylor brightness mixed with mahogany is a good balance. I'm not overly familiar with blackwood but it does look and sound nice on the new 322.

The Tweedy model caught my eye a few years back when it was first released but I think I might be stretching my budget with that one.

In fact I do have to go back to London for a wedding in June so even if I don't find both guitars in the same shop, I'll certainly get to play them both on the same day, so I might just sit tight and wait to play 'em both.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:40 PM

no competition martin
Old 04-16-2016, 04:02 PM

*Edited* My bad. I though you were asking about an Eastman guitar. My bad.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 04-16-2016, 04:30 PM

Default 322 vs Martin

I haven't played that particular Martin, but I have played the 322 12 fret and it doesn't have the typical overly bright Taylor sound. It is a very well balanced, wonderful sounding and playing guitar.

The only reason that I didn't take it home was the ES2 system and the holes in the bridge. Sorry, but those a deal killers for me.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:50 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

If I had to choose sight unseen, I'd go with the Taylor as I really have liked the 322 hog tops I've played. I don't like the 324s and larger.

Martin 15s are much more hit-or-miss for me.

Taylors have a better neck attachment system, FWIW.

YMMV...

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion