The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2016, 08:27 AM

Default Stewart Macdonald replacement endpin

I recently bought a replacement endpin from Stewart Macdonald that is supposed to fit into a jack strap hole. Imagine my surprise to find out that it is too big to fit into the hole.

Does anybody have any experience with the Taylor replacement endpin?

https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylor...uttons/end-pin
Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Mike View Post
I recently bought a replacement endpin from Stewart Macdonald that is supposed to fit into a jack strap hole. Imagine my surprise to find out that it is too big to fit into the hole.

What is the diameter of your end pin/jack hole?
Old 04-16-2016, 09:35 AM

Most (including my) end pin jack holes are 1/2". If the one you got has a allen screw and a tapered sleeve to tighten inside the guitar, it will need some fitting to get it to work. I chucked the StewMac pin with the sleeve in a drill press chuck and sanded it down to fit. It's a bit of a pain, but I think this is the only product on the market that will return a end pin jack hole back to just a regular end to function as a strap holder only.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
What is the diameter of your end pin/jack hole?
I think Jim nailed the problem.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO53 View Post
Most (including my) end pin jack holes are 1/2". If the one you got has a allen screw and a tapered sleeve to tighten inside the guitar, it will need some fitting to get it to work. I chucked the StewMac pin with the sleeve in a drill press chuck and sanded it down to fit. It's a bit of a pain, but I think this is the only product on the market that will return a end pin jack hole back to just a regular end to function as a strap holder only.
I was wondering about that. As it is, the only thing I have available is a hand drill, and this sounds like a two handed proposition.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Make sure you take the anchoring screw all the way off before trying to insert the pin. Also, if that works, do not over tighten the screw when anchoring the pin. The pin sleeve will snap in a minute if you over tighten. BTDT!

Quote:

My 2015 412-R (no e! ) came with one of these. It is a very nifty little device that helped make the K&K install a breeze.

I'd say it is significantly better than the Stew-Mac replacement end pin, and if I ever need another one of these this is the one I will buy.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-16-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Make sure you take the anchoring screw all the way off before trying to insert the pin. Also, if that works, do not over tighten the screw when anchoring the pin. The pin sleeve will snap in a minute if you over tighten. BTDT!

My 2015 412-R (no e! ) came with one of these. It is a very nifty little device that helped make the K&K install a breeze.

I'd say it is significantly better than the Stew-Mac replacement end pin, and if I ever need another one of these this is the one I will buy.
Ah, good to know! Thanks.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO53 View Post
This is the safest way to fix the size variation. UNDER NO circumstances attempt to increase the size of the hole on the guitar. I mean it can be done, but you do risk damage.

Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion