The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 AM

Default strap on traditional tapered end pin?

For a "traditional" guitar (i.e. no metal used on the body) that has a hole at the end and a tapered pin that is held by friction, what is the preferred way to attach a strap:

1) press the pin in firmly (or even glue it) and work the strap over the thick end each time it is taken on or off, OR

2) attach the strap to the pin and leave it there, to move it in and out of the hole each time (this seems easier but less secure)?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I'd say leave the strap on the end pin and remove it from the strap button at the neck block to case it. If you're constantly taking a strap on and off of the end pin, that seems like asking for trouble. Either the hole in the strap is going to get loose or the end pin itself will. End pins can easily work themselves loose without constant removal and reinsertion, just from changes in humidity. Some people will put a bit of masking tape around the shaft of the pin to tighten the fit. Be careful. I've seen a few instances, and heard of a lot more, in which the pin suddenly popped out and a guitar went crashing to the floor.

Some people glue their pins in but that's never struck me as a terribly good idea. There are times (shipping, internal inspection, etc.) when you may want to be able to remove the pin.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Each of my guitars has it's own thick (3-4 m/m leather strap, which cannot (and will not) be left on the guitar. It is folded and stowed in the case space above the headstock.

I use a Schaller Straplock in the heel of the guitar but rely on standard endpins on the butt.
This enables me to sweep guitars when playing without removing the strap from my shoulder.

I cut 1/2 radius holes for the end-=pins, and add a keyway to a smaller hole app 1/8". These deal satisfactorily with ordinary endpins and those with jack plug/endpin assemblies.

I would NEVER use a non natural material for a strap, for fear of it interacting with the finish - seen it happen -never gonna happen to any of mine!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
1) press the pin in firmly (or even glue it) and work the strap over the thick end each time it is taken on or off
I first make sure the hole in the end block is tapered properly to match the pin, and I fit it so that the pin is nearly flush. I put a tiny (smaller than a match head) drop of glue on the pin and seat it completely with a light tap. The pin will not come out unexpectedly, but I can easily remove it with a light twist from padded pliers if I want to remove it for shipping.

Taking a strap on and off the end pin will not hurt a quality strap, in my experience.

FWIW, Collings glues all their end pins and they do not remove them for shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
2) attach the strap to the pin and leave it there, to move it in and out of the hole each time (this seems easier but less secure)?
I've never heard of anyone doing that. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion