The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Arched back Guild D-25's?

Anybody know the details of when Guild made the D-25's with the arched back? Or what years they started and stopped making the arched back ones?

I have a friend who found one (what??) in his parents' garage, hasn't been used in years. I'm trying to help give him an approximate dating. I couldn't find a serial number on it...the paper inside had been removed, and it did not appear that it was ever on the back of the headstock as many are. It did have "D-25" stamped on the inside of the sound hole.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 PM

If no one here has the answer, ask the guys at Let's Talk Guild:

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/forum.php

Hans Moust (Author/Guild expert etc.) can probably tell you what the man who built your guitar had for breakfast that particular morning.

'13 Guild D55
'13 Guild Custom Shop F20
'08 Guild JF-48
'18 Guild Jumbo Jr.
'13 Recording King "Dirty Thirties" Single-O
'13 Epiphone DR-212
Sigma DMISTC

PRS Custom 24 Artist
Fender American Strat
Fender Modern Player P90 Telecaster
Epiphone LP Special P90
Epiphone LP Standard

Various others...
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watasha View Post

Hans Moust (Author/Guild expert etc.) can probably tell you what the man who built your guitar had for breakfast that particular morning.

Impressive! Will do if nothing happens here.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM

Default D25

The arch back were made through the 70's, at least. The serial number should be stamped on the back of the head stock, it would be unusual for it not to be, and the date it was started may be stamped inside on the head block.

Let us know what you find. D25's are great instruments!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post

Let us know what you find. D25's are great instruments!

Yeah they are...I'm pretty jealous of it actually. He doesn't play so I was hoping he'd offer it up nice and cheap...no dice...he wants to keep it! Sad for me, but I'm happy for him, it's a cool guitar.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbean View Post

Yeah they are...I'm pretty jealous of it actually. He doesn't play so I was hoping he'd offer it up nice and cheap...no dice...he wants to keep it! Sad for me, but I'm happy for him, it's a cool guitar.
If you like the D25 arched back sound, go find a nice old D4, pretty much the same guitar for around three to four bills.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Default arch back thru 80s

The arch backs were used into the 80s. My 1981 d25 is archback.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Loved my 75' D25m; gigged and traveled with me for 20+ yrs. and gave it to my oldest son who still plays it...wonderful instrument imho.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Arched-back D-25s appeared in 1973. During the early transition period, there were some all-mahogany (incl top) arched back models made. By '74, most arched back D-25s have spruce tops (usually stained). The SN lists take the model as far as 1997... but I think it may have been discontinued before closing of the Westerly plant (but I could be wrong). When production moved to Corona, the all-mahogany D-25 was re-introduced with a flat back.

Although it isn't uncommon for labels to come loose and get lost, it is much less common to not have the SN imprinted on the back of the headstock. It's absence often indicates refinishing of the headstock and/or neck.

In the early to mid-70s, Guild often stamped dates on some of the subassemblies during construction. One common date stamp can often be found on one of the thin braces flanking the soundhole... which can be seen with an inspection mirror and flashlight. When present, this date marks completion of the top assembly, before the body is glued up. Final completion can be months later... but at least this will get you in the ballpark.

Good luck...
Old 10-17-2013, 09:26 PM

Sounds familiar.. was it a maple back & side Sitka topped guitar ?
In around later 1980's my wife & I bought a new arched back Guild dreadnaught
made in the USA for my brother in law.
We paid like $900 and had to pay an extra $100 for the case.
That was a good amount of cash back then but though it was the best we could afford..and he still has it..I think it sucks.
Regret not being able to get him something better its just in late 80's its the best we could do,
Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
Sounds familiar.. was it a maple back & side Sitka topped guitar ?
A maple arched back Guild dread from the early-mid 80s would be a G-37 (renamed the D-30 around 1987).
Old 10-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

It's got that cherry colored top you see on a lot of them...I'm guessing that's the stained sitka?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:15 AM

i believe those arched back D25's had laminate back/sides. i worked at the Westerly factory in the early 80's. always thought those Guilds were kind of heavy and chunky feeling, almost like a tank. still, they sounded pretty decent. i know they were still building them when i left there.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbean View Post
It's got that cherry colored top you see on a lot of them...I'm guessing that's the stained sitka?
Yes, it would be stained spruce... probably Sitka, but someone on LTG once mentioned some might be Engelmann.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
i believe those arched back D25's had laminate back/sides. i worked at the Westerly factory in the early 80's. always thought those Guilds were kind of heavy and chunky feeling, almost like a tank. still, they sounded pretty decent. i know they were still building them when i left there.
The arched back is definitely laminated... for the D-25, the outer plies would be mahogany, and (according to Hans Moust) the inner ply might be poplar, soft maple, or something else.

The sides on a D-25 are solid mahogany.

They are on the heavy side... I have 8 Guild dreads right now, ranging from 4#4oz (a '72 D-35) to 5#15oz (a 1981 D-46 with ash back and sides). My D-25 falls in the low 5# range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion