The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Collings vs. Santa Cruz
Collings 86 33.86%
Santa Cruz 113 44.49%
Not Sure 55 21.65%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorKoaFan View Post
Not trying to disagree... but Martin's (and Taylors) all go through the same production process regardless of series. It is simply the better looking woods and higher end appointments that differentiate. I've played some pretty great standard series Martins and some very average high end Martins. I've also played some great sounding higher end Martin's and some very average sounding lower end Martins.
I don't think this is true at all. I have played MANY Martin 15 series and it seems obvious to me that these guitars are not constructed and set up with the same attention to detail as a higher-end model. The fret dressing, the set-up, the filing of the nut, etc on 15 series guitars are not comparable to HD-28, D-18 GE, or D-18 Authentic models. The playability of the 15 series guitars on the whole can't hold a candle to the higher end models. They are budget models and it shows. True, some 15 series instruments individually are wonderful in both sound and playability, and conversely some higher end models are duds. Similarly, I have picked up inexpensive Fender electrics that were wonderful players, and higher end U.S.-made Fenders that were duds, but on the whole the cheaper guitars are, well, cheaper.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpopper View Post
For me it's a tie. I have 3 of each at the moment, but here's the thing. It is my completely unscientific and very subjective opinion that Collings does better with Martin-type guitars (D2H and CW), whereas Santa Cruz does better with Gibson-type guitars (Vintage Jumbo and Vintage Southerner). As I'm really into my Santa Cruz Gibsonesque models right now, I gave the nod to Santa Cruz in the poll (plus, I really enjoy my OM/PW when I need a change). Richard is a super nice guy, too--very helpful.

But really, you can't go wrong with either one.

Man, you and GWF have some NICE axes!

Tom
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Default and for me...

I would love to try a Santa Cruz OM/PW in hog and addie. Or a Collings L-00 style in Hog. But if forced (yeah baby, twist my arm), it would be the Santa Cruz.

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I don't think this is true at all. I have played MANY Martin 15 series and it seems obvious to me that these guitars are not constructed and set up with the same attention to detail as a higher-end model. The fret dressing, the set-up, the filing of the nut, etc on 15 series guitars are not comparable to HD-28, D-18 GE, or D-18 Authentic models. The playability of the 15 series guitars on the whole can't hold a candle to the higher end models. They are budget models and it shows. True, some 15 series instruments individually are wonderful in both sound and playability, and conversely some higher end models are duds. Similarly, I have picked up inexpensive Fender electrics that were wonderful players, and higher end U.S.-made Fenders that were duds, but on the whole the cheaper guitars are, well, cheaper.
They go through the same assembly line. I may be wrong because I've never toured the facilities, but I believe it is the same people assembling the guitars. There is no separate assembly line for higher end Taylor's or Martins.

Regardless, it doesn't have a lot to do with SCGC vs Collings... Again, wasn't trying to be difficult and someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Default dana all the way...

I used to think the only guitar in the world was a Collings. And they do make great guitars. But, after playing a bunch of both brands at Artisan he last year or so...I'd go Santa Cruz all the way. To me Collings almost have a harsh sound compared to the same guitar (wood and build) in the Santa Cruz line. And, you couldn't go wrong either way....just my opinion. I think if I had a Rosewood SC dred and a mahog SC om...I could be happy the rest of my life and those two guitars would end my GAs........FOREVER!!!!....
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorKoaFan View Post
They go through the same assembly line. I may be wrong because I've never toured the facilities, but I believe it is the same people assembling the guitars. There is no separate assembly line for higher end Taylor's or Martins.

I can't give you any reason or evidence. Just based on my experience trying out many Martin guitars, for some reason the high-end Martins are more consistent than the cheaper models, Standard series included.

The 1 and 16 series are a bit of a crapshoot (though not nearly as bad as, say, Epiphone Masterbilt). The 20's and 30's Standard series are more consistent, although you'll still find a few duds. The 40's series, Vintage, GE, Marquis are almost always good (one notable exception is the Clapton 000-28EC... 50% of people think it's pretty consistent, the other 50% think otherwise).

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Collings All The Time!

Since I became a "follower" when my new 1992 D-3 Brazilian Collings arrived, I've never looked back. I now am the proud owner of three 000's, two OM's, and that '92 dread, I can't seem to get enough of those things. Santa Cruz are "okay".... but ever since I played a completely 'dead' dread at the NAMM show one time, you'd think the Santa Cruz boys would have at the very least put a good set of strings on it! (I mean it was DEAD!)
Anyway, I am a Collings and Martin player for the rest of my pickin' days. (Or daze).
Cheers and harmony as always....
1 folksinger
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1folksinger View Post
Since I became a "follower" when my new 1992 D-3 Brazilian Collings arrived, I've never looked back. I now am the proud owner of three 000's, two OM's, and that '92 dread, I can't seem to get enough of those things. Santa Cruz are "okay".... but ever since I played a completely 'dead' dread at the NAMM show one time, you'd think the Santa Cruz boys would have at the very least put a good set of strings on it! (I mean it was DEAD!)
Anyway, I am a Collings and Martin player for the rest of my pickin' days. (Or daze).
Cheers and harmony as always....
1 folksinger
Question...how many other guitars were in the room at that time being played at the same time??...namm is hardly the place to decide to not like an entire line of guitars....the times I've been it's been crazy loud. It's even hard to hear the Taylors and they have a room all to their own....just saying....but, I can't hold it against you for liking Collings....they are great guitars...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:18 PM

This is such a fun thread!

Just tried a bunch of Collings in a local guitar store... Made some new observations:

Build Construction:
Collings look very cleanly built. But IMHO the seemingly 'perfect' construction make them look too 'manufactured'. Santa Cruz don't look as cleanly and as perfectly built, which actually make them look & feel more like hand-built guitars, and overall just feel more luxurious. Just my opinion & taste anyway.

Rosewood Sound:
Rosewood Collings sound more fundamental, while rosewood Santa Cruz sound more lush with lots of overtones. I feel the tonal difference between rosewood Collings vs. mahogany Collings is quite subtle.

Overall Sound:
My earlier observations were further confirmed. Collings is all about power, clarity, volume. This is especially true in adi-top Collings. Those adi top can really blow your socks off. In a way, it's like embodiment of the quintessential Texas characters Like they say, everything is bigger in Texas. Santa Cruz doesnt sound quite as 'in your face'; but I feel SC sounds more expressive, subtly beautiful and rich, more soulful... Not to say one is better than the other, they are just different.

The usual disclaimer: just my opinion & taste anyway...

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com

Last edited by revive; 08-13-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Collings - louder, more fundamental. SCGC - richer, more overtones. Slight edge to SCGC. I just hear a little more development in each note.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Scanning through the list of Santa Cruz players, among the several recognisable names was a certain, errm:

Quote:
Brad Pitt
I do hope he's improved since this golden nugget...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiuFCDjDvjY

Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 PM

I am a SCGC D/prewar owner... Would love to own a Collings too. Both nice. SC are more like older Martin's. Colling's really cut through and are loud...Clear as a bell.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 AM

Default Luthiers

Hello SuperB23

I did not know that Traugott, Claxton, McAlister and others came out of the SC guitar shop, now, that's impressive...hat's off to that. I am not too impressed by the "Who plays what" list, but I sure am of the "Who trained who" one; if SC trained these people then it must know a thing or two about making great guitars. Honestly, I am a Martin fan, and albeit I have tried a few Collings and SC, I was not won over by them, but that does not mean I would not buy one in the future (albeit SC's Eric Skye Signature guitar made me drool just by looking at it...). But there are plenty of great guitar makers out there, I am glad of that. I always cheerish this type of exchanges, reminds me of the Stradivari vs Guarnieri del Gesł type of argiment: each instrument having its own soul and characteristics that made it a unique instrument, and so is with our guitars; even today, with CNC technology they still manage to sound different one from the other.

Martin D15M
Martin OM28V

Last edited by vschwager; 10-21-2010 at 06:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion