The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I was at an event with a live band recently, they sounded really good. Acoustic guitar, bass, drums, and an electric guitarist/fiddle player.

During one of the breaks, I saw the acoustic guitarist and said, "You've got a great acoustic tone, are you using anything special?"

He said, "Yeah--I'm using a chorus pedal. That and I'm using an expensive guitar. It's a $1,500 guitar instead of the $300 guitars I used to use. I'm a professional working musician, and professional working musicians only have one guitar, not like all those guys who have a room full of guitars and never play any gigs."

He looks and me and says, "You've probably got five guitars at home, don't you?"

"Well, just four actually..."

"That's what I figured" he added as he walked off.

Nice meeting you, too.
I do not see anything insulting here. Obviously, this musician has a huge ego and is unfriendly. Long ago I gave up talking to musicians in the situations like that described. I understood that it's no fun for them (for most of them).
Old 02-21-2017, 07:46 AM

So much douchery in the world.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
I do not see anything insulting here. Obviously, this musician has a huge ego and is unfriendly. Long ago I gave up talking to musicians in the situations like that described. I understood that it's no fun for them (for most of them).
Not only was it insulting, it quite clearly was intended to be. People approach me all the time at gigs and I do enjoy talking to them, and I never demean their taste, opinions or playing level. This guy was a wannabe at best; he certainly didn't act like a pro.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:00 AM

Professional working musicians only have one guitar, so if something happens to it, they get to go back to being a professional working fast food cashier while it's getting fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 AM

These 'pro' musos from my experience have a LOT of hangups and insecurities. And in many cases demonstrating a superiority complex, which is really a disguised inferiority complex.

Of course there are also many exception to the above statement.

Best just to ignore them, a lot of the time its frustration and envy.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 02-21-2017, 08:55 AM

After some thought and private communication with another member I've deleted my response.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

Last edited by Rumblefish; 02-21-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 AM

I've seen X a number of times. And I've heard all of this about x in the past. x definitely would not be touring if x didn't need the money, x actually has said this outright at one of the shows I was at. I've seen x in Somerville on a weekend night, where it's a meat market for younger people, and x disdain towards the audience was obvious. I've seen x out in the sticks near where I live, x comes every year. That's an older crowd, there to listen, and she has always been very giving while on stage. Although I note x never mentions her opening act, which is unfortunate. So, a complicated person. All I know is I wouldn't want to be xuitar, xbeats the hell out of those. X had a similar temperment, x could be very moody. Unfortunately it sounds like we've seen the last of xas a performer.

Last edited by Jim_G; 02-21-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I don't disagree w/ the general assessment of the dude's personality but, since I'm professional musician here's my two cents,.... there's always the guy who wants to talk gear on a break. Don't be that guy.
I took my son to meet Tommy Emmanuel before a local show. TE was his usual delightful self and made a point to speak to the few folks present for the meet and greet. One guy started to drone on and on about how he was personal friends with Jim Olson who made the greatest guitars, yada yada yada. He finally got to the point and asked TE if he played them and why doesn't he tour with an Olson. TE said "I'm sure they are great guitars, but I've never heard of them." He then politely moved on to the next fan.
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

For the sake of being courteous, I would like to see an end to the mentioning of professionals by their names in this thread. If you have something negative to say about them, you can all make your point without naming them.

You're bordering very close to slander, as this forum is read by numerous people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
I've seen XXXX a number of times. And I've heard all of this about XXX in the past. XXX definitely would not be touring if XXX didn't need the money, XXX actually has said this outright at one of the shows I was at. I've seen XXX in Somerville on a weekend night, where it's a meat market for younger people, and XXX disdain towards the audience was obvious. I've seen XXX out in the sticks near where I live, she comes every year. That's an older crowd, there to listen, and XXX has always been very giving while on stage. Although I note XXX never mentions her opening act, which is unfortunate. So, a complicated person. All I know is I wouldn't want to be XXX guitar, XXX beats the hell out of those. XXX had a similar temperment, XXX could be very moody. Unfortunately it sounds like we've seen the last of XXX as a performer.

Last edited by Toby Walker; 02-21-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Not only was it insulting, it quite clearly was intended to be. People approach me all the time at gigs and I do enjoy talking to them, and I never demean their taste, opinions or playing level. This guy was a wannabe at best; he certainly didn't act like a pro.
Remember Miles Davis? He was very unfriendly to the audience, arrogant and all, yet he was a pro
Old 02-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

ooooppppsssss

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

So far all that seems be happening is that Yes indeed, guitar players are human and come replete with all the faults and virtues of humans.
Was the guitarist in the OP acting professionally ? Of course not. A true professional in any endeavor understands it is unwise to unnecessarily alienate any of your potential customer base.

When I was gigging more, If I got complemented about the sound and or questioned about my gear I was and still am more than happy to chat about it.

Someone mentioned "that guy" the one who want's to yammer on incessantly about gear (more often than not his preference for gear) well sure I ran into that a few times. I would simply just answer a few quick questions and then politely excuse myself as being in desperate need of going to the can.

The only type customer/personality (often slightly to definitely tipsy ) that I learned it was worth the risk of alienating, was the very few who wanted to play my guitar. A mistake I made only once .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Someone mentioned "that guy" the one who want's to yammer on incessantly about gear (more often than not his preference for gear) well sure I ran into that a few times. I would simply just answer a few quick questions and then politely excuse myself as being in desperate need of going to the can.

The only type customer/personality (often slightly to definitely tipsy ) that I learned it was worth the risk of alienating, was the very few who wanted to play my guitar. A mistake I made only once .
I'm that guy that mentioned "that guy". I didn't say I couldn't handle the situation.

I'll have folks ask about my guitars and after talking w/ them for a minute, I never mind putting my guitar in their hands to check out.

Drunks rarely ask, when they do it's usually to sit in on drums.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I'm that guy that mentioned "that guy". I didn't say I couldn't handle the situation.

I'll have folks ask about my guitars and after talking w/ them for a minute, I never mind putting my guitar in their hands to check out.

Drunks rarely ask, when they do it's usually to sit in on drums.
OK I made no reference to how you handle it or not. I was offering my solution to handling "that guy"..
Just like not letting people play my guitars while I am playing a gig.
I play solo so anyone that is going to ask to play will be for my guitar which may happen but not during the gig .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-21-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Oh really? Why don't you print this photo and bring it back to him. I think Jackson Browne would be considered a "professional musician."

I don't know. Looks like he's using a chorus pedal
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion