The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-05-2024, 03:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Oddly, all the links to the 7 pages (!) of Larry's writing as pasted onto my site seem to work for me. Starts HERE.

The links within Larry's text aren't hot, but some can probably be cut and pasted into a browser.

Edited to say I cut/pasted several, and none worked due to antiquity. My own site has not been pruned much, and everything that was still mostly is (huge site). Many others have rebuilt their site now and again. Different philosophies

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 02-05-2024 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Although today's coat, the 4th, brings the surface to level, I don't imagine it looks much different in a photograph. So pretty though!

I started a new guitar today. it is yet another JB-15, and there is a reason. Although opinions vary widely re what is the single best guitar option, I am indulging my own take on it. My JB series represent what i think are all of my best ideas in combining traditional and progressive aspects. The JB-15 is essentially an OM incorporating subtle MultiScale, asymmetric body, a barely noticeable wedge, and my Sexauer tone-bar variation. I have made quite a few of them, and they shine.

Most customers go for my Standard version rather than the WRX version. The only difference between the two is entirely cosmetic. Construction and finish are identical, and the price difference is considerable, as the WRX is intended to be a relatively affordable musician's tool. That is why I am making another one, and why I have decided to name the model, the WRX version of my various sizes of JB, "the Tool".

This next "Tool" will be made from Cambodian Rosewood and Adirondack spruce, will be simple in the WRX way, and relatively affordable, as the all-Koa "Tool" will also be. Our friend Tadol has the only other Cambodian RW guitar I've made, and I simply love the way it sounds!

A little more . . . when going through my wood locker looking for the 2 sets of Cambodian I knew I had in there, I stumbled across a set of Cuban mahogany I'd forgotten about. This is a really nice looking set, and I'd love for someone to step forward and ask mE to build with it. A "Tool", maybe? The set is big enough for anything short of a D.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 02-06-2024 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful set…
Old 02-06-2024, 09:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today’s progress on guitar #337:

Old 02-06-2024, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Smile Larry’s writing is fantastic

Thanks for the link to Larry’s wonderful writing.

I enjoyed it throughly!

Your work continues to floor me. Very beautiful instruments, Sir.

Keep it up and do have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-07-2024, 12:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, that koa really came alive with the finish! Beautiful
Old 02-12-2024, 06:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Cambodian Rosewood "Tool" is coming along.

Old 02-13-2024, 01:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Doug Young recently acquired one of my older pieces (2005), an ES-000-C (Schoenberg "Standard"), and on behalf of PegHead Nation made a video where he quite accurately describes the guitar and its relationship to the Schoenberg concept . . . also, the guitar sounds quite decent!

The VIDEO
Old 02-13-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Doug Young recently acquired one of my older pieces (2005), an ES-000-C (Schoenberg "Standard"), and on behalf of PegHead Nation made a video where he quite accurately describes the guitar and its relationship to the Schoenberg concept . . . also, the guitar sounds quite decent!

The VIDEO
Looks and sounds great Bruce! I love your twelve fret cutaways, and I’m not a cutaway fan normally. Nicely done.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words, Folks!

Here is an hour long video of a concert at Schoenberg Guitars wherein Larry Clyman and I play the 18 or so guitars my customers brought for the purpose. I think the sound is better than the video quality . . . I sure hope so. I dated this 2016 on Vimeo, but I now think it was 2010 at the latest, possibly a couple of years earlier.

The Video

I am having some trouble embedding, so I have no idea if this is working.
I had hopes of seeing my 1982 OM28 hanging as I purchased it from Eric in Nov 2010. He originally ordered it from Martin Custom Shop when he was at Music Emporium. I believe it belonged to a friend of Eric’s and was on consignment.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Skydog: We only played Sexauer Guitars, and the background of the video is a very small part of Eric's inventory. Also, we moved the inventory around a bit to make the Sexauer guitars more handy. Oh well.

I have closed the new "Tool", and have begun the binding process. I have no idea what the binding wood is beyond that it grew in central America and was originally harvested to be used as shoring timbers in a coastal freighter. It is possible to tell that story with a LOT more words. It has closed pores, a visual texture similar to Ivoroid, and a color similar to caramel candy. It does smell good, but I have not eaten it.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

I got a bite on Dread Lightly today. If it goes I will miss it, plays like butter and and sounds fantastic to me. That's okay, I have other good dreads . . . if you like rosewood, which I do.

The Cambodian "Tool" is half bound. The Caramel binding is visually atypical, and it works way above average; scrapes well and bends very easily, while being quite hard. Wonder what it is?

Not so many years ago, tops with this much color were avoided by most, and now it seems extraordinarily beautiful to me. Surely I am not the only one.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I got a bite on Dread Lightly today. If it goes I will miss it, plays like butter and and sounds fantastic to me. That's okay, I have other good dreads . . . if you like rosewood, which I do.

The Cambodian "Tool" is half bound. The Caramel binding is visually atypical, and it works way above average; scrapes well and bends very easily, while being quite hard. Wonder what it is?

Not so many years ago, tops with this much color were avoided by most, and now it seems extraordinarily beautiful to me. Surely I am not the only one.

Congrats on the potential Sale, Bruce. I too love the color in that top, and the binding looks lovely. I bet it will be even moreso under finish.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Bruce, I'm with you on that.

Same goes for women in my opinion. Some of the most extraordinarily beautiful ones have a nose or other feature that is somewhat "off" by classic standards, but it sets them apart and makes them even more interesting and attractive to my eyes.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am working on the neck for the next "Tool".

I put the pretty end of the sides in the cutaway instead of the more usual graft area.

Here is the machined dovetail connection before fitting:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 02-15-2024 at 07:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop