The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli View Post
I stopped reading after the part I highlighted, where you've spent hours listening (apparently deliberately) to musicians you don't like.
I don't know about hours... but a friend who likes the same music I like RAVED about Dave Matthews and I thought... well, let me give him a fair shot. Really tried... just couldn't go. Nothing wrong with giving it the ol' college try.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Mumford and Sons. Can't stand that bandwagon-jumping faux 'folk'. Seems like all you need to be a 'folkie' these days is facial hair and a check shirt. Oh, and a ferociously-strummed acoustic. Blecch
Yeah, that formula of the same palm-muted staccato guitar strum blasting into full-tilt bluegrass banjo on darn near every song gets old pretty fast. Sort of the 21st century acoustic version of the arena-rock power ballad template (i.e., sensitive fingerpicked solo guitar accompanying subdued vocal followed by full metal racket).

Speaking of formulas, there’s the whistling-and-horn-section barrage of about three years ago, then the faux-field-holler craze, followed by faux-field-holler-and-horn-section. Yeah, Of Monsters & Men, I’m talkin’ ‘bout you. (I hear their next album is tentatively titled, “Honest, It Rhymes in Icelandic”).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:50 PM

I respect the OP's tastes and opinions. It is, however, hard for me to understand anyone not liking the Beatles. There's something there for everybody. It's like saying you don't like Bach, or Beethoven.

And as someone else pointed out, the Grateful Dead made the most repetitious, boring music ever. Their fans have the most apropros name ever: Deadheads.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 AM

I have been listening to many of the artists mentioned here for years. I am a songwriter and try hard to find what's under the hood of many established artists.. I guess the reality for me is that just about every artist that has lasted long enough to talk about has both good and bad qualities in their work. I know Bob Dylan's voice is not American Idol material (thank goodness!) -but at the same time his snarling, acerbic lyrics don't necessarily fit a crooners voice.. You may compare him to a subway singer- but Bob has won just about every kind of accolade that a writer can have- including a rare Pulitzer Prize- seldom-if ever given to a songwriter..

The Grateful Dead are more than just a trippy jam band... They have a catalog of well written tunes by 2 teams of writers in the band. Many songs that have become standards of bands and duos across the world- Friend Of The Devil, Ripple, Sugar Magnolia, Truckin', Uncle John's Band etc....

Joni Mitchell is among the greatest female composers in pop history- she inspired a whole generation of writers and open-tuning guitarists to delve deeper than the normal formula songs..

And yes some people can't stand her voice and yes The Dead jams can be boring and meandering and yes Neil Young is an eratic singer and sometimes plays one note solos and The Beatles have written some bad songs and Queen could be over the top etc....

I guess my point is to try to see that you can find good or fault with any artist... I tend to try to keep looking for the good...

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 AM

Not really a fan of any kind of thread like this... Would much rather people ask who people DO like... I'm a fan of many on the list... Particularly Tommy Emmanuel - I think it's unfair to say that any player lacks soul, feeling and emotion if you're going to include Bruce Springsteen on your list of likes...

Every single artist expresses themselves differently and I guarantee that 99% comes from what they are feeling at that moment... Everyone's soul is different so all sounds different. I think we should enjoy publicly and dislike less publicly - always causes horrendous threads... 7 pages of posts in 2 days illustrates the commotion!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:13 AM

Plenty of artists I don't like, however I will never start threads about it as a 'discussion' of any sorts. Too much negativity in the world already. I'd much rather discuss music I DO like, with a view to improving my overall knowledge and skills and appreciation.
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFerret View Post
Plenty of artists I don't like, however I will never start threads about it as a 'discussion' of any sorts. Too much negativity in the world already. I'd much rather discuss music I DO like, with a view to improving my overall knowledge and skills and appreciation.
A great big +1
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fair enough...but if you've been on AGF often/long enough, you know that threads starting out about artists (or anything) you DO like unfortunately turn negative too, as there are plenty of folks anxious to discredit your choices. So the irony is, it really doesn't matter how the thread starts, you'll get a mix of positive & negative comments.

I tried deliberately to clearly state in my original post that I thought those on my list were icons & extremely talented and that these were strictly my opinions. Of course, I was then accused of being "passive-aggressive"...go figure. Many simply overlooked the positive parts of my original post and interpreted it as me bashing the artists. Oh well...I know that wasn't my intent, and fortunately, many others "got it" and were able to participate positively and without judgment.

I guess I'll re-think what I was planning for my next thread--Guitars I Hate. Darn...I knew I would have been safer with the 1,286th thread on the differences bridge pins have on tone!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I knew I would have been safer with the 1,286th thread on the differences bridge pins have on tone!
I disagree... Everyone knows that the bridge pins do nothing!

The tone is in the underpants
Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Fair enough...but if you've been on AGF often/long enough, you know that threads starting out about artists (or anything) you DO like unfortunately turn negative too, as there are plenty of folks anxious to discredit your choices. So the irony is, it really doesn't matter how the thread starts, you'll get a mix of positive & negative comments.

I tried deliberately to clearly state in my original post that I thought those on my list were icons & extremely talented and that these were strictly my opinions. Of course, I was then accused of being "passive-aggressive"...go figure. Many simply overlooked the positive parts of my original post and interpreted it as me bashing the artists. Oh well...I know that wasn't my intent, and fortunately, many others "got it" and were able to participate positively and without judgment.

I guess I'll re-think what I was planning for my next thread--Guitars I Hate. Darn...I knew I would have been safer with the 1,286th thread on the differences bridge pins have on tone!
Sure - I've been around forums long enough to know that virtually ANY topic can turn ugly with just a few keystrokes.

I totally accept and respect your choice of subject and content for this thread. I am not totally enamored of some of the artists your mentioned in your OP too, but I shall still refrain from telling everyone WHY I don't find them as interesting or as good as any other artist I may like.

At the crux of it, I come to forums to learn and expand my knowledge about certain niche categories. Heck, sometimes I don't even realise that I don't know about something until it is discussed in a thread !

Sometimes I DO post something just to inflate my ego, but I have to always be careful that it is still constructive, and not at the expense of bringing someone/something else down.

End of the day, EVERYONE sitting at the keyboard reading these threads is a complex combination of emotions, hopes, dreams, perceptions, feelings and caffeine. Starting a thread with "I don't like 'X'" is far more likely to push a trigger point on someone who DOES like 'X'. It also breaks down the barrier for entry for others who might have been reticent to voice dislike for 'X', but once ONE person does, then it is easier to 'pile on'. It is simple mob mentality that is deeply ingrained into out primal psyche.

We've all seen a peaceful gathering of people turn into an angry uprising or vigilante mob, and it usually only takes one or two people to step up and light the fuse, as it were. Add in the anonymity factor of internet forums and you have a veritable box of timebombs waiting to go off...
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

That took some guts! I actually agree with you on Jeff Beck and Dave Mathews. But queen i think were brilliant in every way and i believe Freddie Mercury is one of the best rock vocalists of all time. Oh, and i also think Paul Simon is one of the best song writers in history! But yeah… i think you make some really good points!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I think the thread was started in a not so negative way... it didn't start out with someone ranting about how a group/artist sucks. I think there are popular artists that each of us don't relate to... I find it interesting.

For one.. I read quite a few say they didn't get the Dave Matthews Band. Generally most of the musicians and friends I know really love him. So it's nice to think maybe it's not all in my head.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 08-05-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Mumford and Sons. Can't stand that bandwagon-jumping faux 'folk'. Seems like all you need to be a 'folkie' these days is facial hair and a check shirt. Oh, and a ferociously-strummed acoustic. Blecch
I am with you!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
I think the thread was started in a not so negative way... it didn't start out with someone ranting about how a group/artist sucks. I think there are popular artists that each of us don't relate to... I find it interesting.

For one.. I read quite a few say they didn't get the Dave Matthews Band. Generally most of the musicians and friends I know really love him. So it's nice to think maybe it's not all in my head.
This. I saw nothing negative in DR's post. Just popular bands that he never got the vibe from. Me to!

I loved:

The Doors
James Taylor
Led Zepp
Black Sab
Cream
Foreigner
Van Halen
Some Hendrix
Joni Mitchell
Taylor Swift
Seventh Day Slumber
Skillet
Jars of Clay
Demon Slayer
Red
Back Street Boys
Old Fogelberg
Journey
Kansas
Foghat

Never liked:
Nirvana
Grateful Dead
Jazz...ugh
DMB
Beatles
Mumford
Shredder stuff...Vai, Satch, MY
Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I should like them, as they are guitar/music icons. I've spent hours listening to them...tryng to see what others see, and trying to like them; but, they just don't "do it" for me...something is simply missing in their music for me. I've listed some below and my reasons...in no particular order:

1. Beatles - I know, it's almost blasphemy; but other than a handful of songs, I find them boring and too "pop-y" & produced. They are an example of being at the right place at the right time. American teens were hungry for something fresh and the British Invasion brought that--the Beatles in particular. I've heard another artist slammed recently for being an opportunist and making songs that appeal to young girls; but, didn't the Beatles epitomize that? I mean C'mon, "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You", "Can't Buy Me Love". They have a few songs I love (i.e. "Long & Winding Road", "Let It Be", "Yesterday"), but all-in-all, not a fan.
Well, I stopped after I read your assessment of The Beatles. You are of course entitled to opinion as we all are. Boring is a subjective thing, sue. "too pop-y and produced" gets into a non-subjective territory with me regarding the Beatles. Unless you really study music history (and history in general) it's impossible to put your head around what it must have been like in the 60s. We think in terms of "over produced" today after having had decades of music that grew to become that way. But if you were born in say the 80s and grew up with over produced music being the norm. Let's say that's the case and you grew to hate the over-produced sound and you look back on the Beatles Sgt. Pepper or White Album and say it's over produced I would say I find that perspective offensive. Because it's absolutely unfair. It's like if you thousands (probably tens of thousands) of artist trying to imitate Van Gogh today. Yes their work is garbage because it's not original, but that certainly does not make what Van Gogh did garbage. So the educated approach to critiquing the "over produced" Beatles work is to consider in a time when over production didn't really exist (well it was in it's infancy let's just say) those early artist with experimenting with heavy production as a creative means. Regarding the content of their songs and overall talent. They were incredible musicians. They worked their tails off in Liverpool. Playing insanely long sets of cover tunes. Paying the dues over and over before "making it". Have you even done any research on them? I don't mind people hating The Beatles, but if you haven't down any homework on the "why" when it comes to who they are and what they are then it's like being the 12 year old walking around the fine art musician saying you could paint a better picture than Picasso. People don't even laugh at that point, they just tune you out completely... We're all entitled to think we could paint as good as Picasso or Van Gogh, but their are established parameters to go by. Their is originality and time periods to take into account. When you disregard all of that it doesn't necessarily invalidate your opinion because you are entitled to it, but it does make it an uneducated one which entitles other people to get incredibly annoyed

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion