The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 PM

I appreciate you taking the time to share the process. I have dots over the gray ones on the fretboard edge, and now thinking I may have a crack at what you have done. May try the edge first, and then the face afterward.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
May try the edge first, and then the face afterward.
Might be a different process in Canada, especially if you are new26string ..hope this helps
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I am about to pull the trigger on a black Journey OF660. But I'm not sure whether to go with the gloss or the matte finish. I like the look of the matte finish better, but I watched a YouTube review from a guy who said the first guitar he ordered had a very rough finish on the matte. This goes to someone else's post indicating the quality control is not great, and some of the OF660's coming off the line are not finished as well as one might expect for a guitar at this price point.
Has anyone else noticed that their matte finish is rough or poorly finished?
2022 Blackstar Carry-On
2024 Jet JS-400
2022 Michael Kelly 1953
2005 Vintage TC200
2024 Enya X3 Pro Mini
2017 Makala Baritone Uke
Old 03-14-2019, 09:36 AM

Default The Journey OF660

I bought one in gloss (love the guitar BTW and I’ve had it almost 7 months). I did note some finish issues but I refinished mine. In fairness to Journey Instruments my critique was coming from my previous experience with the quality of RainSong. Their CF layup and finishing is flawless and have that reputation outside of my experience. I don’t know where you are looking to buy but if you are concerned enough you might want to score one with a reputable dealer with a generous return policy. Ted at LA Guitar Sales comes to mind.

You can access my review here:

NUCFGD- Journey OF660B
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=522954
Old 03-14-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I bought one in gloss (love the guitar BTW and I’ve had it almost 7 months). I did note some finish issues but I refinished mine. In fairness to Journey Instruments my critique was coming from my previous experience with the quality of RainSong. Their CF layup and finishing is flawless and have that reputation outside of my experience. I don’t know where you are looking to buy but if you are concerned enough you might want to score one with a reputable dealer with a generous return policy. Ted at LA Guitar Sales comes to mind.

You can access my review here:

NUCFGD- Journey OF660B
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=522954
Thanks for linking me to your review, Sean! It was pretty thorough.

I'm still wrestling with the cost of adding a new guitar to the fold, but I'm tilting toward getting an OF660. It means my GS Mini will have to go, but that's okay. Nice little guitar, but for some reason it always sounded better to people I was playing for than for me. It really projects 'away' from the guitar - more so than my dreadnoughts, anyway.

I'll post when I've made my final decision.
2022 Blackstar Carry-On
2024 Jet JS-400
2022 Michael Kelly 1953
2005 Vintage TC200
2024 Enya X3 Pro Mini
2017 Makala Baritone Uke
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwarrior View Post

I'm still wrestling with the cost of adding a new guitar to the fold, but I'm tilting toward getting an OF660. It means my GS Mini will have to go, but that's okay. Nice little guitar, but for some reason it always sounded better to people I was playing for than for me. It really projects 'away' from the guitar - more so than my dreadnoughts, anyway.

I'm currently in Puerto Vallarta Mexico and I have brought my journey of660 with me. Its fantastic!! I'm not too sure that it would be a great idea to bring a wood guitar to such a humid and sea salt environment. My journey has been with me to most major race tracks in the United States LOL and other places I wouldn't bring my wood guitars. Love it! I really don't have to worry about that one ever leaving my collection because it has a very specific niche.

Cheers...

Todd
Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

In Puerto Vallarta ( although this picture is actually from two years ago it's basically the same as it is today ...LOL...except I'm a little bit thinner and hopefully wiser now).

Todd in Chicago
Old 03-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Guest 928

Another fine, informative thread.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Well, I did it! I ordered a Journey OF660B - black gloss.
Supposed to arrive in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!!

(Now, all I have to do is find a way to get some of that sun and warmth from Mexico's Pacific Coast up here in frosty Canada!)
2022 Blackstar Carry-On
2024 Jet JS-400
2022 Michael Kelly 1953
2005 Vintage TC200
2024 Enya X3 Pro Mini
2017 Makala Baritone Uke
Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:

(Now, all I have to do is find a way to get some of that sun and warmth from Mexico's Pacific Coast up here in frosty Canada!)
Nice buy...you are gonna like it...a lot!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Congrats!

I wouldn't travel without mine! I hope you enjoy it as much. I reckon I've played and sang through about 100 songs so far while on vacation.

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago

Cheers...
Old 03-15-2019, 07:17 AM

Congrats warrior! I think your gonna dig it.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:15 PM

Funny - even though I have a wood Journey Overhead, I’ve often pondered getting the OF660 just for the worry-free aspect of CF.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

bsman;

A colleague of mine once said that "if our contemplation is not to turn into despair or lethargy we must in time take action." Does that help your pondering?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
bsman;

A colleague of mine once said that "if our contemplation is not to turn into despair or lethargy we must in time take action." Does that help your pondering?
Is he the same guy that bought the truck?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber