The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Old Age Singing - Can You Sing Any More?
Yes, I can still sing like a bird 55 56.12%
No, I make dogs howl and children cry 43 43.88%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Songs I used to sing in D I now sing in A like Summer of 69 and Midnight Rider.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 PM

Many of us who play -- but don't sing well -- love and appreciate vocalists. To me, one of the great pleasures in playing is coming up with musical support for the singer and song. I'm sorry that you're experiencing difficulty in something you love and are good at doing. But before considering giving up, I'd give a shot at the suggestions some mention: vocal practice, exercises, warmup, whatever. There's a real possibility that you may need to strengthen and sustain the physical elements of vocalizing. Good luck and best wishes.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanleyJ View Post
Mark, I will be 64 this week. I've never been a great singer as I have a limited range and it is mostly in the baritone range. I'm not getting worse at this point but I can still attain "adequate" and I've always been able to pick out a good harmony and help out the vocal blend better than lead the vocals. I've been lucky enough to work with some great lead singers and I've been quite happy just to be able to back them up as needed.
Happy birthday!!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:10 AM

My wife thinks I sing alright, I don't think so. Given the right key, I am passable. We had a pastor, may years ago, who said, "God gave us all voices, some, he gave good voices, sing loud, in Praise, the rest of us; Sing even louder, and get even!"
Old 03-14-2017, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I don't know what physical limitations you have going on, but I've learned that singing is a physical exercise that has to be learned, developed and nurtured. When I started noticing vocal deterioration, I joined a church so I could join the choir--classical church music including Bach, Mozart and Schubert, not the contemporary stuff that's so ubiquitous these days. Three years later, that choir experience has me breathing better, supporting my notes better, and using technique that relaxes my neck and throat while pushing and supporting with my abdomen. I know how to warm up properly. As a further benefit, reading the sheet music has been good for my old brain. I've also been watching some vocal coaching through my subscription to Lynda.com. A little tedious, but informative. You can probably find some decent resources on YouTube.

So, unless you have a good reason, don't give up. Learn how to sing properly and you might get back in the game.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:49 PM

My Mom is in a prominent local singing group.. About 100 local members. They do all sorts of choral music. They separate it into seasons.. They practice a few weeks and then start doing various concerts - which culminate in a large prominent event public event at a prominent venue.. Last one was in Carnagie hall... The one before that was in the National Cathedral in DC...

The average age in the group is 75... So age doesn't necessarily disqualify you.

2 things..
Perhaps talk with a voice coach...
Perhaps see a doctor to verify nothing is going on.

Given good news on both counts... Sing more! Maybe think about joining a choir group so you can get practice during the week...

Or get back into drinking and playing live in bars on weeknights..
Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 PM

I'm in the best voice of my life ... mostly because I do it all the time. Solo, duo, trio and front a classic band. Can't brag about it though, I didn't do anything to get it ... it was a gift.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
I've actually gotten better with age. I guess I quit caring what people thought about my singing.
This changed my musical experience. In my younger days I never sang in public because I knew I didn't have an exceptional voice. In my 50's I realized I could carry a tune in MY voice, and that most singers are imperfect but know how to use their voice's character to inform a song. Now I occasionally sing in front of hundreds of people, which would have shocked my younger self.

My advice is that as long as you're not torturing the song and the ears of your listeners, put yourself out there and brighten someone's day with music!

Martin 000-28EC (1996?)
Seagull Natural Elements (2012)
Taylor 814ce (2014)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:05 PM

I never could sing and really never found out why until I was in my 50s. While mumbling along with a Frank Zappa tune that I discovered I was a baritone who had tried to sing in a higher register when I was younger. By that time, I really didn't care. I was more interested in listening to instrumental performances than the vocals. I came to hear the voice as a musical instrument. I was not that interested in lyrics. I figured if I want words, I would read a novel or listen to a stand-up comic. As for appreciating the poetic nature of lyrics, that was killed by the crappy way poetry was taught in grade school and was never able to come back to life.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 PM

Default Everybody sing!

NedRay above mentioned getting into choral singing in the classical vein and what wonders it has done for his vocal technique -- yes!!

There's a soprano in my choir who's got to be pushing 80 and her voice is as sweet and supple as a teenager's. That's technique. And it's also her having learned where her natural singing voice is -- way up there -- and learning how to use what God gave her instead of trying to sing something else.

That, I think, is the key -- to discover what our own voice really is and embrace it, instead of trying to sound like someone else. I may never sing like Joni Mitchell or Renee Fleming, God bless them, but I can sing like me.

Ibanez Artwood Vintage grand concert acoustic
La Patrie Motif parlor-size classical
Cordoba Mini M travel-size classical
Cordoba Guilele even smaller classical (so cute!)
and
Ohana SK20-S soprano ukelele
Old 03-19-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Yes, I can sing pretty well...at present. but today's hospital visit indicated that my upcoming treatment may take my voice away.

Not feeling good about that.

Please check out my YouTube vids whilst I can still hack it.
So sorry to read this. I hope it turns out better than expected.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion