The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2006, 09:50 PM

Yes machines are terrible. We all need to get back to the horse and buggy. We can write our songs by candlelight, or the light of the moon.

Modern machinery...pshaaaawww....

We should have never moved out of the cave.

The first real musicians made music by banging two rocks together.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
Yes machines are terrible. We all need to get back to the horse and buggy. We can write our songs by candlelight, or the light of the moon.

This post is a perfect example of the reason you should never take a big swallow of coffee (or other beverage) just before clicking "next thread".
Old 10-05-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff
Let's let Leo Kottke chime in here:
"Well, yeah, I'd love to play a Martin, but finding a good one is just so hard. I used to play an old Martin dread live, it was my workhorse guitar, but someone stole it after a gig. And a good Martin is nearly impossbile to replace cause it takes forever to find another of the same model that sounds as good. Taylors, if you break one you can go out and buy the same model and it will sound the same."
thanks for that anecdote! i'd love to sit down with leo and pick his brain for awhile.

for someone that tours as much as he does - and loses as many guitars (i've heard him say that the airlines claim one every year and a half or so) - it's really important that he be able to go out and get a replacement on short notice. having your own signature model definitely makes that a little easier.

also, i've come to the conclusion that taylors really shine the best as fingerpicking guitars. if flatpicking is your thing, i'd look elsewhere. which, unfortunately, i didn't realize until after i bought my taylor and started flatpicking exclusively.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubjamin
thanks for that anecdote! i'd love to sit down with leo and pick his brain for awhile.

for someone that tours as much as he does - and loses as many guitars (i've heard him say that the airlines claim one every year and a half or so) - it's really important that he be able to go out and get a replacement on short notice. having your own signature model definitely makes that a little easier.

also, i've come to the conclusion that taylors really shine the best as fingerpicking guitars. if flatpicking is your thing, i'd look elsewhere. which, unfortunately, i didn't realize until after i bought my taylor and started flatpicking exclusively.

314 is a great fingerpicker. when i get my first taylor it will be either the 314, 414 or 410. less of course i can afford the 500 series.....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 10-05-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Agreed. I trust the exacting nature of a CNC machine more than a human hand....kinda reminds me of the 2000 election...The votes were very close, so people were clamoring for them to be counted by hand. WTF? You trust humans to count better than computers?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Who ever invented nuts and bolts anyway, isn't that the silliest thing you've ever seen ?? A nut spinning around in circles is supposed to hold MY guitar together ?? NONONONO...guitar necks must be glued on using glue made from old ground up race horses who have been grain fed and pampered all their lives.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Who ever invented nuts and bolts anyway, isn't that the silliest thing you've ever seen ?? A nut spinning around in circles is supposed to hold MY guitar together ?? NONONONO...guitar necks must be glued on using glue made from old ground up race horses who have been grain fed and pampered all their lives.
Well, you guys have all had your fun, but like I said, I'm not saying Taylor's a bad guitar, it's just not the choice for me. I guess I haven't drunk the Taylor Kool-Aid yet.

Yes, I would rather have a guitar that's made more by human hands than a machine. And yes, I would rather have a glued on neck than a bolt on neck. It's like a lot of the furniture that you see in the stores now. The legs are bolted on rather than glued. In no time at all, the bolts become loose and need to be tightened. You don't find that problem to such an extent with furniture that's glued together.

The comment about the 2000 election does prove the point. In many situations, humans are more accurate than machines (computers). The computers couldn't/didn't read the partially punched cards, whereas humans could.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:00 PM

I have 2 Taylors (NS44, XXXBE) and one being shipped as we speak (2000 955 w/Cindy Inlays). I found many Taylors that I like and many Taylors I disliked. I can only say that I am very impressed and happy with the 2 Taylors
I have, and am looking forward to the 955. I really enjoy the chime and the
"Different" sound that Taylor offers.
You might ask if I have ever A/B a Taylor to a Martin. I have and each has their own qualities.
I am a HUGE Martin fan and small collector. Some of my Martins are: D-50 Deluxe Brazilian, D45 Stephen Stills, 000-45 Jimmy Rodgers,00-45S 1902, 0-45 Joan Baez and many other Martins so I feel I can give a
reasonable evaulation....
Old 10-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Hmmm, why is this thread still drawing posts LOL? I admit to being a poster to it, but seriously think it was bait on the hook for all us Taylor owners?
Peace

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion