The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2021, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

This is a toughie for me. I probably would never had bought the Sheeran by Lowden without Ed Sheeran's name on it. I decided to take a gamble on it without knowing that much about it, and ordered it via Chicago Music Exchange back in the spring. I appreciate it for what it is - a budget friendly version of the Wee Lowden that Lowden designed for him. As far as other guitars I'd had I can honestly say no, I went with what I might have read about, talked to people about, but nope. Besides, I don't know many known musicians with the Guild I have
Old 09-04-2021, 02:19 PM

Kind of.

In my early years, my favorite artists were SRV, Clapton, and Hendrix. Stratocasters helped them get a tone I loved, so yeah, I played Strats. They were also much more comfortable to play than the Les Pauls of Jimmy Page and Slash, who I also liked.

I love bluegrass now and have two dreads with Adirondack tops because they give me the sound I want from them. But Tony Rice and Clarence White played a guitar with BRW and a large sound hole, and I don’t have that.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Not really, but I have noticed some of my favorite performers play the same guitars I own.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Not really, but I have noticed some of my favorite performers play the same guitars I own.
*This too*. Some performers I like have used or still play Guilds (Wynonna Judd, Suzanne Vega and Bonnie Raitt) but that was not a deciding factor for me one way or the other. It was not until I got my Guild that I realized, oh, these people have performed with Guild guitars. Honestly, the reason I went the Guild route was because I found Taylor too trebley sounding, not caring too much for Martin, and the Guild I was contemplating being available, not because of those performers.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:07 AM

Not at all. I have to play and like the instrument.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:35 AM

If I could afford what my influencers, Dylan, Neil, Stills, Page et. al, played then I would not hesitate to say yes I play what the people who inspired me played. But alas I cannot afford a 1959 D 28 or 53 J45. So I try to get something that is similar in tone and is playable for me. I have a 2016 J45 and a an Eastman E8d tc. Not the same but close enough for me to enjoy.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:52 AM

My Taylors sound much better than John Lennon’s J-160E. Also, my bespoke classical guitar sounds better than George’s Ramirez. I some times think how much better their recordings would have sounded if George and John had had Taylors. So no, my favorite guitarists have almost no influence on my choices. What matters is how a guitar sounds to my ears when in my hands.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Nope, can't say as I do.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I used to when I was a kid. Well, I couldn’t afford to buy them but that was what I wanted.

Now I make my own choices based on the factors I deem appropriate. When I then see the same guitar in the hands of some luminary, I think, "Hey, that guy is smarter than I thought he was!"

Last edited by Nymuso; 09-05-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
Not at all. I have to play and like the instrument.
Of course. I've liked guitars played by some famous musicians and when I investigated them I discovered I liked the instrument too. I liked the way the sounded and played. I don't know of anyone who buys an instrument because someone famous played a particular model then dislikes the instrument. It they do dislike it they end up selling it.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I'm a Jackson Browne fan and would love to play one of his Gibson signature models, but I've never run across one.

I wonder if they rumble like the Roy Smeck guitars that they are modeled after.
KenL -
I never played a Roy Smeck, but a friend had a Gibson Jackson Browne model (Adi/Walnut) that rumbled like a freight train when he leaned into it...
Old 09-05-2021, 02:43 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Maybe ...

Yeah.. the Page/Harrison 63/64 J200 .. with that dreaded brace support

My 2014 SJ-200 1964 replica hasnt got that .. but (truely) has the TOM bridge and nylon saddles.. and all the details, like proper depth of body under neck joint, 3pc maple neck etc

Has all those great sounds..
but maybe, just maybe - a little overbuilt
Old 09-07-2021, 07:02 AM

I have an Olson and I do love James Taylor. I have a George Harrison Gretsch Duo Jet and I bought a Martin D-21 Jim Croce model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion