The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2014, 01:59 PM

I was assuming Larry was being sarcastic.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
I thought this was rather well done. It just feels right, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Honestly, I find it hard to even find a difference between these two. Again, technically impressive - far exceeds anything I personally will ever be able to achieve. But I get bored after 30 seconds of this same thing. It's like elevator music. Zero content.

Kenny Hill Estudio 650

https://soundcloud.com/viable-to-stray
Old 12-20-2014, 02:13 PM

I don't know if "annoying" is the right word, but I find it extremely laborious to listen to.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts View Post
Honestly, I find it hard to even find a difference between these two. Again, technically impressive - far exceeds anything I personally will ever be able to achieve. But I get bored after 30 seconds of this same thing. It's like elevator music. Zero content.
This honestly baffles me. I'm not saying you have to prefer that style, but to say the music in the videos you quoted have "zero content" is astonishing.

I think many here are conflating "this is not my musical preference" and "this is not musical."
Old 12-20-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
This honestly baffles me. I'm not saying you have to prefer that style, but to say the music in the videos you quoted have "zero content" is astonishing.

I think many here are conflating "this is not my musical preference" and "this is not musical."
Well, yes of course it's not my preference, and it's only my opinion. Death metal is also not my preference, but I would not say there is "zero content" in it. At least there is some kind of emotion this music is trying to express.

But in the videos I quoted it looks like these guys are just showing off how good they are at the guitar-drumming thing. And as others said, this is just a technique that, by all means, may work well if applied appropriately (and in moderation!).

Kenny Hill Estudio 650

https://soundcloud.com/viable-to-stray
Old 12-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wonder if you'd feel the same about the Dawes piece if you heard it without the video. Not all his material is great, but that composition is amazing.

Of course, different strokes and all. But compositionally there's a LOT going on.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Guest 1511

It's like seasoning on food, a little adds flavor, too much ruins the meal.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Well, yes of course it's not my preference, and it's only my opinion. Death metal is also not my preference, but I would not say there is "zero content" in it. At least there is some kind of emotion this music is trying to express.

But in the videos I quoted it looks like these guys are just showing off how good they are at the guitar-drumming thing. And as others said, this is just a technique that, by all means, may work well if applied appropriately (and in moderation!).
Now it has no emotion? Color me baffled again!

As to "showing off," that would be an assumption. You could say the same thing about an intricate fingerstyle piece (especially faster ones) without any percussive aspects, but why assume such negative things?
Old 12-20-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
It's like seasoning on food, a little adds flavor, too much ruins the meal.
Perhaps India didn't take that hint.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:00 PM

I've never listened to any of the tappers for more than a few seconds so not long enough to actually find it annoying.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:05 PM

I think everything is musical... Eminem, skrillex, Dylan, cage, Coltrane, etc.

I think the smaller palette make the music less interesting. Same thing with EDM or surf music or anything else with somewhat specific styles.

I think it's wrong to call it unmusical though. At times for me it can seem like a combination of athletics and music, the way metal guitar players can be, but that's not invalid.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you'd feel the same about the Dawes piece if you heard it without the video. Not all his material is great, but that composition is amazing.

Of course, different strokes and all. But compositionally there's a LOT going on.
I agree. Thank you for posting the videos. It's not the type of playing to which I aspire and I didn't care much for the piece that the OP posted, but I would not characterize any of the performances that you posted as unmusical or uninteresting. I enjoyed all four. Nick
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Of course the modern acoustic trend is attracting boring players. So do blues, rock, folk, death metal, jazz, punk rock, old time, etc. The great musicians like Andy McKee, Don Ross or Antoine Dufour always stand out.
You might say they are great but they could be another's man dull, boring and tiresome to the Derek Bailey fan, and likewise you might find Derek Bailey's playing to be as far from music as is possible, but that's the nature of music; one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

When it comes to the guitarists mentioned sure their technique is unquestionable but so is that of John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani etc but there is more to music than just technique.

I listed those guitarists as I find the double tapping, rhythmic playing of 'contemporary' acoustic guitarists to be akin to a lot of metal guitarists; yes they are technically superb and use the many of the same techniques but when it comes to the compositions themselves they don't really produce anything interesting to my ears anyway. I find the nearly all the 'contemporary' acoustic guitarists play fairly conservative music eg covers of pop music or play very melodic verse/chorus/verse pop music, which can be great but isn't for everyone. Yeah sure a cover version of Michael Jackson, Chaka Khan/etc might be fun to some but it's not for everyone.

Even though 'contemporary' guitar music like a lot of metal (and other genres) isn't for me I think guys like the ones mentioned above do a great job to entertain their audiences, inspire others to start the instrument etc so even if if I don't really like it, as as long as others enjoy it that's all that really matters.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:06 PM

This guy is playing very good music.
He makes smart use of dynamics and sound diversity.
A very nice player.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 12-20-2014, 04:10 PM

I don't mind it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion