The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 08:58 AM

I would get bored with one. I like having variety of Tonewood.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Sometimes the things we own actually own us.
We travel in our motorhome for 5 months per year, Arizona is very hot in the summer! We have become friends with many full-time RV'rs and they all say the same thing, "You don't own your stuff, it owns you!" All of them say it is liberating to free yourself of the clutter. When I'm traveling, I carry one guitar with me, and one ukulele.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

While I could understand someone wanting to de-clutter. I wouldn't like owning just one guitar. Not that I have a lot, a couple of acoustics and a couple of electrics, I do like to have have some different tones.

I have a Tele that I haven't touched in close to a year, but I like to know it's there should I need a Tele for a band gig.

It is different for everyone.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-10-2024, 10:10 AM

I have a pile of guitars, but always seem to be in the 'you can only play one at a time camp'. I don't mean that in the physical sense; more that I adapt to a guitar and over time I never feel the need to play another one.

I bought my first acoustic (since I was a boy) last year, and hated it when I got it home. However, I persevered with it, and now it's all I play. I like the look of it when I open its case, and every time I play it I think it sounds great, so there's no incentive to play another guitar.

I bought a second acoustic a few months later, and played that exclusively for a few weeks until I took it in for a refret. It was away for a couple of months or so, during which time I went back to my first acoustic. I rediscovered what I'd grown to love about it, and when the second one came back from repair I played it once or twice, but decided I preferred my first guitar, and have stuck with that ever since. If it's anything like my previous 'sole' guitars, I'll keep the same strings on it for years (usually until it requires repair\maintenance).

I don't mind owning multiple guitars - you can't go wrong with a good guitar! I may go back to playing them some day, but I generally push them to the back of my mind, and end up playing only one of them for months or years.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:10 AM

I have 3 currently. I would like one and be able play that one properly. So I practice and practice so when I find that one I will be able to justify acquiring "the one". Have a great weekend!!
Old 05-10-2024, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I have 6 now. I could see selling the two cheaper ones that don’t get played as often, but I like the tonal variety too much to go with less than 4.

At some point in the future when I retire and need to downsize I could see maybe reducing it to two acoustics, but I might prefer to have guitars be the objects taking up space in smaller living quarters and get rid of other stuff instead.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:19 PM

That's kind of like having only one pair of shoes because you only have 2 feet.

For a long time, I only had one acoustic and one semi-hollow electric, with one old amp. I didn't really play acoustic much, either. It was probably the mid 90's when I started to slowly acquire more gear. Blame the internet, I guess.
D'Angelico EXL-1 Excel
John Kinnard Frank Hill archtop
Fender Jazzmaster
Austin Tele
Old 05-10-2024, 09:09 PM

Smile 'Life' Rule of Seven

when I hit seven, something has to go:

no more than 2 women, 2 vehicles, 2 musical instruments at any one time.

sometimes it's 3 of one category, & only one of another, but always 2 vehicles.

my 92 year old archtop has only been out of the house a couple of times in the past 10 years; but the Tenor Sax always traveled well & sounded great out on the shore of a river, lake, or ocean.

I love music, not just guitars.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

I love the idea of one guitar and I was there for a period of time. I like the simplicity.

But, after that experiment, I realized that two guitars are best for me and that is where I currently sit. Not too many, not too few.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I see, from time to time, people selling a guitar and stating they are trying to "get down to one guitar!!!"....my question is why????...
Maybe focus and because we only need one guitar to write a good song. Guitars can inspire, but as they say, too many cooks spoil the food.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:05 AM

I couldn't do that with the electrics, but it was easy to limit myself to 1 bass electric & 1 acoustic electric. Not my main instruments of choice, but there are times I will use them exclusively to noodle with for weeks on end. Last 5 days, it's been the acoustic unplugged & I'm not using the others. How long that phase lasts ?
Old 05-11-2024, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm down to one flattop and one acoustic archtop. I have other instruments in the house too.

I seem to have sold my more expensive instruments and kept the cheaper ones. My only flattop is a second hand A&L Lutherie (spruce top / cherry plywood b/s). So for the moment it is the "one". I may well buy another guitar, but only if it could do a better job for me than the one I have.

I'm pretty pragmatic. The A&L Legacy ticks all the boxes regarding playing gigs, campervan travelling, pub sessions, parties, the beach etc. If/when I need a guitar to do a job that this one can't, then I'll buy it.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:28 AM

I have around a dozen. 7 have dedicated jobs, the rest I have just because I like guitars.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Just one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I could never have ONE. What if it needed to be fixed? Stolen!? Then I'd be WITHOUT A GUITAR?

That's just simply not an option, even for a day.

I have whittled down "too many" to well...probably still too many, but they all have different sounds at least.

Jeff, this is very true. Although the time when I had just one acoustic and one electric was my peak playing age, it also had serious drawbacks.

I put off taking guitars to the shop as I needed them to gig. When I took my 000 18 to be refretted, the tech told me I needed a swift kick in the rear.

It’s also good to have a spare for the moment of craziness when one suddenly wants a new instrument. When I worked in a music store, I’d see guys come in wanting to swap a guitar they’d gigged for years for something new. That doubtless results in threads we see under the category “regrets.” Always have a guitar you won’t mind swapping.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-12-2024, 02:54 AM

I’ve had three quite nice steel strings at the same time. But I just played one of them. I’m now down to one steel string, one classical and one electric. I play them all.

Be a player, not a collector.

Current:
2009 Esteve 8 EIR/Romanian Spruce
2001 Fender Stratocaster vintage '62

Upcoming:
Sundberg 000-28 12 fret EIR/Sitka

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2008 Taylor GC8
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion