The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
the shape looks fairly ugly to my eye.
NOT!!

Old 10-07-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Anyone else hate dreadnoughts?

I don't like the way they look either, but they don't feel uncomfortable to me, through I prefer OM kind of size

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 10-07-2014, 06:28 PM

For the longest time I did not like the look of Dreads and did not have the desire to own one. Then one day I played one and the light bulb when on. I can't say I dislike any of the guitar styles and own many styles and shapes. I think they all have their place.

Certainly your right to hate whatever you want but your missing out one one aspect of guitar playing.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:36 PM

To the OP - them's FIGHTIN' words there I see the point(s) have been made,

H
Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 PM

I can understand why really short people would hate dreds.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 PM

be careful with that one -
The Dreadnoughts hide under your bed until
your sleeping -they sneak up on your other guitars
when their not looking and say -pffffffffffff !
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I'm not too keen on the traditional square shouldered dread (D-**/Hummingbird), but I'm quite partial to original, modified designs such as Yamaha's 'L' series. I also like slope dreads very much...
What he said. That said, the only guitar I've had an immediate and visceral reaction to was a D-18GE. Shoo mercy.

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Breedlove Revival DM
Rushing JR-30 Bubinga
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
Don't own any anymore and can't see myself owning one again. I find them incredibly uncomfortable to play, and the shape looks fairly ugly to my eye. Am I alone in this?
I don't hate them at all, but I do not prefer them. I prefer mid-sized guitars from OO up to some mini-jumbos. I find dreads (i) less comfortable to play sitting down than mid-sized instruments, (ii) are often lacking balance in some respects and (iii) have a slower transient response than I like for my uses.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Can't say I "hate" them. I just think that we've been grossly over-saturated with them over the last 40 or so years. Kind of like having to eat spinach or kale every day of one's youth and upon adulthood finding that you dislike those vegetables tremendously and never want them again.

I'm burned out on dreads. I'm down to only 1 dread and doubt that I'll ever have another -- certainly never another square-shouldered version at least, which I find the least aesthetically attractive of all the body shapes.

Like many others here, I have in the last few years grown ever more fond and appreciative of the balanced tone of other body styles, the comfort of their size and shape and the aesthetics of various non-dread styles. Don't think I'll ever go back.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modli...23585177732114
Old 10-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default yes...you are alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
Don't own any anymore and can't see myself owning one again. I find them incredibly uncomfortable to play, and the shape looks fairly ugly to my eye. Am I alone in this?
Yes!..you are alone
Old 10-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Hate is a strong word, but I find them completely unergonomic as well as completely awkward looking - compared to a classical guitar, they have the gracefulness of a walmart scooter shopper.

I will admit that they sound good though - and could get over the looks if they didn't always make my shoulder hurt.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I tried for many years to dislike dreads. But after many years of cycling through too many guitars, I finally realized that the sound in my head that I was searching for could only be replicated by a dread. IMHO, they just sound like a guitar is supposed to sound. Therefore I put up with the fact they are slightly less comfortable and have a somewhat bland (again, my opinion) appearance.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 PM

Everything proceeding is not a flame. Standard apology issued in advance for those with deep sensitivities.

I kid, I kid!

I've played dreadnoughts so long, it's everything else that looks a little strange to my eyes.

Ugly? Can't say that I feel that way about them. To me, a square-shouldered dread: Ginger. A slope: Mary Anne. I wouldn't kick either one of 'em out of bed for eatin' crackers.

My dread. But then, I'm biased.

I don't find them uncomfortable, either - I use a Neck-Up to put the guitar into an ergonomic position, and that takes care of that. I see lots of people complaining about the body size ... and their shoulders not being able to handle a full-sized dread. IMHO, repositioning is the key to solving that problem.

I know that you are not alone with feeling strongly, in a negative manner about dreads, but yes - you may also be in a minority.

BTW, there is apparently no support group for those who hate dreads (I looked), or who think they are ugly (I looked again - Google is your friend), so if you'd like to fill the void, I nominate you to be in charge.

Hey, no kidding ... it might be a popular Facebook page, and worth reading through for a chuckle! And you wouldn't feel so alone - you guys could get together and make a party of it!

... JT
Old 10-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Guess you could tell I'm enamored with this beautiful D18

I started out on an EKO dread, then a Guild D25m; then went all OM/GA which I still enjoy...BUT I recently returned to my first love with this 2014 Martin D18 and just this past week bought a Yamaha FG700 dread in honey burst that looks, sounds and plays lovely that I keep at my girlfriends crib.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:58 PM

Do the synonym thing on Dread…
  • Fear
  • Terror
  • Trepidation
  • Anxiety
  • Dismay
  • Alarm
  • Fright
  • Horror
No wonder there’s hate involved… and they are called Dreads.

But, if you’re strumming with a flat-pick the Dread has the best sound, but fingerstyling without a pick, they sound woolly to me.

Either way, my broken right collarbone dreads playing a Dread.

But whatever floats your boat...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion