The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 PM

If one has the funds then then there is no such thing as too much.
Taylor "04" K22CE-L30 Koa/Koa
Taylor "06" 914CE fall limited Coco/Engel.
Baby Taylor
Collings "01" D3 EIR/Sitka
Martin "1939" 0-17 Mahog.
Ovation "86" Anniversary
Gibson R7 Goldtop
Carvin DC400
Carvin strat
Epiphone MIJ Fujigen Elite Les Paul

http://www.reverbnation.com:80/marcocatracchia
Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce E View Post
IMNSHO, if you spend more than about $1500 you are buying bling and not sound. I don't need bling and I don't want it.
This is probably true, but it applies to almost every single purchase of every concumable and non consumable good we buy: houses, cars, tools, clothes, even food.

I would be the first to agree that great tone can be had for even under $1500. I have a top of the line Walden ($850) on my wall right next to my pride and joy one man shop African Blackwood/Adirondak Spruce beauty which was obviously many, many, many times more dollars. In a blind test, some folks woud likely pick the Walden over the other unamed handcrafted gem.

They both sound fantastic, but one costs a whole lot less than the other.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:21 PM

I have a friend who says he won't pay more than $400 for any guitar- but he owns more than 50 guitars! to me that is foolishness. How many can you play? How many can you keep in strings and in tune.
Ok,
1 big dreadnought
1 smallbody
1 beater
(electric guitars- different forum)
that's all folks- I spent Less than $4000 for my 3.
(then again I have 4 banjos, 3 mandolins, 2 fiddles)
and I'm trying to cut down.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
IMHO, absolutely disagree.........................

and my limit is about 3k.................................
+1 on this dollar amount, for a mint used hand-built axe.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad

Last edited by sharkydude50; 11-28-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

I played an 18K Martin. I didn't get it. I played a 3.6K Hamblin I ordered and got it, and hated to sell but was in dire straits.

I have a +/- 4.1K Beneteau coming very soon, thanks to my fiance who thinks for some reason I should have it. I'm excited. You know, it's not about what you spend, but whether the money you spend meets the value you expect. Period.

I could say anything over 300 is a waste. I could say over 800 is a waste. I could say over 1000 is a waste. I could say over 2000, 3000, 5000, 10,000 is a waste. If you feel the value you get is worth the price paid, who loses?

There's no real measure outside of ourselves. I have not once felt ripped off, if only because I chose to spend the money.

Now I have a Taylor GSRS I love, and hope to love a Beneteau. AND...

I will get killed by my fiance if I sell either because she wants me to have them.

However, in the near future, I may sell one or the other, based on owing ppl in a big way for their generosity in times of trouble.

Get what you want that is worth what you pay. And if someone tells you that you paid too much, tell them where to go. You can't predict what works, but you know it when you find it.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Thurman View Post
I played an 18K Martin. I didn't get it. I played a 3.6K Hamblin I ordered and got it, and hated to sell but was in dire straits.

I have a +/- 4.1K Beneteau coming very soon, thanks to my fiance who thinks for some reason I should have it. I'm excited. You know, it's not about what you spend, but whether the money you spend meets the value you expect. Period.

I could say anything over 300 is a waste. I could say over 800 is a waste. I could say over 1000 is a waste. I could say over 2000, 3000, 5000, 10,000 is a waste. If you feel the value you get is worth the price paid, who loses?

There's no real measure outside of ourselves. I have not once felt ripped off, if only because I chose to spend the money.

Now I have a Taylor GSRS I love, and hope to love a Beneteau. AND...

I will get killed by my fiance if I sell either because she wants me to have them.

However, in the near future, I may sell one or the other, based on owing ppl in a big way for their generosity in times of trouble.

Get what you want that is worth what you pay. And if someone tells you that you paid too much, tell them where to go. You can't predict what works, but you know it when you find it.
Wade- Does your finace have a like-minded single sister?

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM

This all reminds me of the conversation I had a week or so back with the wife:

Wife: So, honey, what do you want for Christmans?

Me (without so much as a pause to think about it): A Collings C-10, sunburst.

Wife: Is that an expensive one?

Me: Ohhhhh yeahhhhh.

Wife (irritated): Why do you need another guitar???!!!

Me: Well, dear, need might be too strong a word. You asked what did I want. That's what I want (I give her a large grin, which didn't exactly win her over).

With that, the wife goes back to reading her book.

I'd like my budget to be under $2500, but I find myself lusting for guitars in the $4k to $6k range (new). It's a disease; it's a sickness; it's a syndrome. There is no cure. So shut up and pick already!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM

If I were as gifted or proficient in my abilities to play an acoustic guitar, as some of you people obviously are, I could understand spending the kind of money that you do on guitars.

I say that without reservation, since I have heard and seen enough Internet clips of extremely talented players in the last few years.

I cannot justify those kind of expenditures based on my current ability.

The most expensive guitar I have sells for about $2K, but I am very happy and satisfied with one that is $1K, and a couple of others in the $600 to $800range. That is about it....they were all new or near new and I payed considerably less for all of them.

I just finished my second full year playing, since deciding to fulfill a "Things to do in Life" wish. I have worked very hard at it and I am so thankful to play and enjoy the acoustic guitar.

I can understand that if funds permitted, why one would want a guitar to highlight the God Given Talent and years of play that went into honing it, that some of you have.

Be thankful that you have anything in your life that you are that passionate about.

If your wallet permits you to indulge that passion, I say spoil yourself...cause nobody else will!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:01 PM

You are basically asking an impossible question, because people purchase guitars for a lot of reasons. Someone might prefer to buy a vintage instrument as a collector, while someone else just wants something to play at bars. Some might be willing to pay more for a particular instrument because of the heritage of the guitar and the maker. Some people just want something that won't make them sound bad. Some will pay more to support an American company even if they think the sound is equal to a Chinese company. Some buy for specific woods some buy for specific styles. The reasons to buy a particular guitar could go on for ages.

For example when I was buying my main home guitar my top end was about $3,000. I played a LOT of guitars and ended up spending around 2.5k. I think I totally a great guitar and not once have I thought I overpayed or it didin't live up to expectations. When I was looking for a guitar that I could take to campfires and plug directly in at the bar my top end was around $700.

If you want to know the most you should have to pay to just get a guitar because you have nothing and just want something to play I would say no more then a couple hundred dollars. Great music can be played on a really cheapo instrument.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:28 PM

The winner in this thread is the one that said the amount you should spend is equal to the value you percieve from the ownership experience. Owning a fine guitar does not necessarily have anything to do with skills any more than owning a Ferrari is reserved for only great drivers.

If you have to ask how much is too much, you do not have the fullest understanding of the GAS phenomenon.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:34 PM

How do you figure it? It's been a long time since I simply bought a guitar outright. I'll acquire a few, trade them in and start over. In most cases, the eventual trade in was significantly more than I paid so how do I figure the cost? Add the actual cash I have invested to get it ot the price tag I'm trading against?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Where do you draw the line in spending money for a guitar ?

There IS no line.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:58 PM

Here's the scale, give or take a little slack here and there:

$0-$400 Beginner Guitars

$400-$1500 Journeyman Guitars

$1500-$3000 Master Guitars

$3000-$5500 Master Showing Off With Bling Bling Guitars

$5500-$Infinity Also Drives A New Corvette And Still Can't Get A Date Guitars

Any other questions?

Sugar Bear
Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

I own more than 20 guitars, but I don't think I have ever spent more than $1.6k on a guitar. However I do have a few that have increased in value and are now worth close to $3k. I also have several that I paid under $1000 for that I love.

By setting an absolute limit, I think we can prevent ourselves from getting what we really want. For example if you have your heart set on buying a new HD28, it's gonna cost you more than $1500. You've essentially priced yourself out of the Martin line altogether.

At this point, I'm not looking to buy dozens more guitars. There are specific models I'd like and most are over $2k. For example, I have my heart set on getting a National Style O deluxe. If I had an arbitrary limit of $1500 I'd never be able to get one. Then I'd settle for something cheaper and never be happy with it, always regretting I didn't invest in the National. Been there, done that. I'd prefer to wait and save and eventually get exactly what I want.

We're not buying groceries here. We're buying the thing that we are most passionate about. It's well worth investing in great instruments.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Here's the scale, give or take a little slack here and there:

$0-$400 Beginner Guitars

$400-$1500 Journeyman Guitars

$1500-$3000 Master Guitars

$3000-$5500 Master Showing Off With Bling Bling Guitars

$5500-$Infinity Also Drives A New Corvette And Still Can't Get A Date Guitars

Any other questions?

Sugar Bear
wow...I didn't realize there were so many lonely corvette drivers on this forum.

um....What's a good sticker price on an '08 Z06?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion