The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Default Not Sure about that

[She can actually play that beautiful guitar (and all the other Taylor guitars they've given her).... all that AND she's hot!

The Taylor website states that no one gets free guitars.

I do agree she is hot.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phwooar View Post
Soo can anyone tell me if that is a GS or GA?
I think she is playing a GS. I owned a 214ce and this model looks bigger, im certainly no expert.

Probably would be better to ask on the Taylor secion of the forum.

ps: I had a listen to a few youtube vids of her singing a playing that Koa Taylor and i must it sounds absolutely awful, looks amazing. Is there any bass or an ounce of warmth in that guitar ??
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

Last edited by GibbyPrague; 12-29-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Taylor luuuuves bling! It would be tough marketing, trying to find true Taylor Swift fans with the greenbacks to pay for all that bling?

Taylor Swift is absolutely dripping with talent! Anyone would want to be her friend. She comes across as a warm, caring, young sweetheart!
No, she mainly comes across as a contrived created pop superstar similar to last years model.

Quote:
She sure looks beautiful with that beautiful guitar, doesn't she?

Don
No, she looks like she does in every picture taken of her - squinty.

And opposite to most others assertions I think the axe looks gaudy.

I've never understood the obsession with her. But then again I'm not in her "target market." Once she or her handlers decide the "25-40 year-olds that listen to Buck Owens and drink Bourbon" is next on their list they might come up with something I can give a hoot about.

Until then....
Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=Skarekrough;2459353]No, she mainly comes across as a contrived created pop superstar similar to last years model.

Who from last year is she similar to?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
Wierd...I was talking about Taylor's guitar with an intern last night on our drive home from a music festival. That koa guitar is a knock-out, isn't it? Personally, I don't think she deserves a signature model...but that's just me. My reasoning is that she's not a "player"...and I think the folks who get signature models ought to be someone whose sound depends fairly heavily upon that particular brand of guitar. Taylor Swift is decent...but if she were playing a Martin or Gibson, would it make any difference in her sound? No, I don't think so.
The above statement applys to this guy too.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-...-guitar--42099
Old 12-31-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammieplaya View Post
I like Michelle Branch's songs better.

Here is another Taylor who hangs around
the Taylor booth at NAMM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW0p0-Adlzw

He started pretty young too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmO0ItZvInY
I'm so with you on the whole Michelle Branch thing. I don't understand why Taylor Swift is so popular.

I'm a girl, not a guy.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
Maybe in 15 years when she actually learns how to play one properly.
No offense, but Taylor Swift can't play to save her life. Not once have I ever seen her use a single barre chord, hammer-ons (a la Michelle Branch), or fingerpicking. Another thing I don't understand is why she's so famous.

I'm a girl, not a guy.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaylor614ce View Post
No offense, but Taylor Swift can't play to save her life. Not once have I ever seen her use a single barre chord, hammer-ons (a la Michelle Branch), or fingerpicking. Another thing I don't understand is why she's so famous.
I, too, have never seen her use those techniques, but I wouldn't go so far to say they are the things that make someone a "life-saving" player either. And she's obviously surviving on her musical abilities

She's famous because she's a great performer, she puts on a good show (from all that I've heard).

I'm not a huge fan, but I do recognize the talent. She's got more than most people (here or otherwise) give her credit for.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 PM

After listening to the music on the radio station that my 10 year likes, it is a bit refreshing when Swift is on. Her stuff is real music in the sense that it is a product of real instruments, not a computerized or electronic production.

After reading the Rolling Stone review of her third album, it is understandable why many adults don't see why she is so famous. Her lyrics are those of a young girl in love or hurt by love. People who connect to the lyrics are singing along and don't mind if she isn't a perfect singer.

She was 16 when her first album came out, 18 years old for the second and 20 years old when the recent album was released. She is writing her lyrics and to a degree she is writing the music.

I wish there were more talented players like Orianthi on the pop radio, but the reality is that there is so much "music" on the pop stations that is a synthesis of studio production often without one real instrument in the mix. I wish there were more "real" singers (not auto-tuned) who play an instrument than what is on the radio now.

It makes sense that the Taylor Guitar's TS signature is a 3/4 guitar appropriate for a young girl's first guitar. A lot of young people are learning to play her music and that is cool.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likewood View Post
I wish there were more talented players like Orianthi on the pop radio, but the reality is that there is so much "music" on the pop stations that is a synthesis of studio production often without one real instrument in the mix. I wish there were more "real" singers (not auto-tuned) who play an instrument than what is on the radio now.
There are a lot of people out there that can play the crud out of their instrument like Orianthi (I do really like her stuff) but can't write a song to save their lives (beyond the guitar solos her music is pretty weak). They are players, they can write a lead lick or rip up a solo with the best of them but have no talent whatsoever or at least very little to put words to page and make people care about it.

That is the dividing line between Taylor and others like Orianthi. Taylor can write and have people of all ages can relate to many of the themes in her music whether it is happening in their lives now or it happened 20 years ago.

Orianthi is actually kind of a novelty. She is an awesome female guitar player who if she wasn't a pretty female would be just another player in the higher end bar scene. Johnny Lang was a super talented kid in the early 90's, his novelty was being 14 and being able to rip it up on a guitar. Now he's in his early 30's and is still well respected but isn't a the huge star he should be with the talent he has and now he's just another very good guitar player in his 30's.

I don't think anyone here would watch Taylor play guitar and be in awe of her. But when you listen to some of the lyrics you have to admit the girl can turn a phrase with some of the best of them at a very young age.

-Dave
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26ce, 2006 Blueridge BR-361, 2011 GSMini, 1980 Ovation something or othe, Taylor 714cer
Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e8n View Post
There are a lot of people out there that can play the crud out of their instrument like Orianthi (I do really like her stuff) but can't write a song to save their lives (beyond the guitar solos her music is pretty weak). They are players, they can write a lead lick or rip up a solo with the best of them but have no talent whatsoever or at least very little to put words to page and make people care about it.

That is the dividing line between Taylor and others like Orianthi. Taylor can write and have people of all ages can relate to many of the themes in her music whether it is happening in their lives now or it happened 20 years ago.

Orianthi is actually kind of a novelty. She is an awesome female guitar player who if she wasn't a pretty female would be just another player in the higher end bar scene. Johnny Lang was a super talented kid in the early 90's, his novelty was being 14 and being able to rip it up on a guitar. Now he's in his early 30's and is still well respected but isn't a the huge star he should be with the talent he has and now he's just another very good guitar player in his 30's.

I don't think anyone here would watch Taylor play guitar and be in awe of her. But when you listen to some of the lyrics you have to admit the girl can turn a phrase with some of the best of them at a very young age.

-Dave
I think that is why she will be around in 10 years.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
No, she mainly comes across as a contrived created pop superstar similar to last years model.
And that's never happened in rock and roll before...

Quote:
I've never understood the obsession with her. But then again I'm not in her "target market." Once she or her handlers decide the "25-40 year-olds that listen to Buck Owens and drink Bourbon" is next on their list they might come up with something I can give a hoot about.

Until then....
I'm glad you figured out you're not a teenaged girl.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
I think she is playing a GS. I owned a 214ce and this model looks bigger, im certainly no expert.

Probably would be better to ask on the Taylor secion of the forum.

ps: I had a listen to a few youtube vids of her singing a playing that Koa Taylor and i must it sounds absolutely awful, looks amazing. Is there any bass or an ounce of warmth in that guitar ??
I'm pretty sure it's a GA. That's what it looks like, and what I've always heard (Wood&Steel fall 2009 mentions a PSGA, which I assume is that one).

And I must disagree on the sound. That's one of my "mental reference" guitars for what a good koa topper should sound like Particularly this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...BXrzR3s#t=112s
Certainly true that it has no bass and sounds nothing like spruce, but I love it. Very shimmery "tang" sound, rather than the "bunk" of a bad k24ce.

Here's another that sounds a lot like it but even better. Same shimmery tone, but more bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ6_IRb2zTs.

I'm kind of glad they made the TSwift signature model so boring, because there's not enough koa left to satisfy the demand for duplicates of her original
Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a GA. That's what it looks like, and what I've always heard (Wood&Steel fall 2009 mentions a PSGA, which I assume is that one).
Yep, it's a PSGA (Presentation Series). I was looking at all koa guitars as part of my Taylor search, though they dropped of the list. If I was going to get a guitar, my wife wanted me to get all koa, though I've determined through my research (i.e. playing) that rosewood is the sound I want. Especially since this might be my only one, or at least only one for a long while.

My wife happened to point out Taylor playing this fine guitar. So even though I recognized it as a presentation series, decided to price it out just for fun. You can put this same guitar together on the PS worksheet (except for the Taylor on the inlay, though you could probably work that out with the factory) for just a tad under $12k list price. I'm sure a signature model would take some of the cost out, but with AA grade koa I'm not sure they could price it under $4k list. But it is quite a beautiful guitar to look at!

2011 Taylor 914ce (Short Scale)
Ovation Balladeer
Line6 Variax
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_w View Post
And that's never happened in rock and roll before...
Less about rock and more about pop when it comes down to it. It's just the further commercialization of country music. She exists on the same level as any other contrived pop artist. Britney, Christina, Avril, Jessica, Miley.....there are tons of them being hocked as "talented." She's not really all that different.

Time will tell whether she ends up with the staying power of someone like Madonna or gone tomorrow.

Not that I think Madonna is exceptionally talented as a musician; mainly just selling and marketing herself is where she has succeeded.

Quote:
I'm glad you figured out you're not a teenaged girl.
Had I a post count into three digits I would consider this perfect fodder for a sex offender joke but have decided against it.

It's a new year....and I'm trying to turn over a new leaf.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion