The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

The heavier gauge strings will definitely play sharper and sharper as you fret up the neck compared to the more normal gauge strings.
It's less of an issue when increased scale length and other setup compensations go along with increased string gauges - thus in part the
value of a longer scale length in baritone guitars. Since some may hear this it is an issue and cause for others to be aware of when playing
around with string gauges.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-09-2018, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

He raised a valid point. Increasing string gauge is going to effect intonation to some degree. This isn't some unfamiliar science he invented for this conversation. Some people's ears are more sensitive to those changes than others. I'm less sensitive to those changes.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-09-2018 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Deleted quote, adjusted accordingly
Old 04-10-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
He raised a valid point. Increasing string gauge is going to effect intonation to some degree. This isn't some unfamiliar science he invented for this conversation. Some people's ears are more sensitive to those changes than others. I'm less sensitive to those changes.
I understand all this well enough, and realize that when breaking the "rules" there is a point of pushing too far or a point of diminishing returns. Stats point to a certain likelihood of reality or prediction, but they don't tell a story, but they may contribute to one's ability to tell said story. I'm much more interested in the story.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:27 PM

Default Figured it out

Magma makes Transpositor Acoustic Strings
Old 03-29-2024, 07:43 PM

Sweet baby Jesus in a ditch, I must have been drinking a lot of coffee on April 8, 2018.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarinBb View Post
I realize this is a bit tongue in cheek and that it seems in the string world people don't look at it this way, but in the world of horns, and possibly other instruments, I think often called transposing instruments, if according to a fingering chart you are playing a "C", or according to written music for that instrument you are playing a "C", but according to a tuner, or say a piano (a non-transposing instrument) you would be playing a Bb, then that instrument is said to be in Bb. Some common examples of this would be trumpet, tenor sax, soprano sax. If you think you're playing a C but the world hears an Eb, then it's said to be an Eb horn, ie an alto sax, or a bari sax. I know guitarists don't think this way, but since I come from the horn world, I do.
I always thought trumpets were in C, My sax is a C melody (as opposed to Bb or Eb) and was told they were made so the player could use piano or trumpet music without transposing.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:12 AM

Some of this discussion is a bit technical for me. I'll only say that I have two wonderful baritone guitars by the American luthier Steve Saville, same model, both with East Indian Rosewood, one with a Carpathian top and one with a Cedar top. They were designed to be tuned a full step down, D-D, and played with medium gauge strings. These are just really cool, really beautiful guitars that give an entirely different sort of sonic perspective. I have also used them for playing in alternate tunings, also very cool.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:52 AM

I'm a bit confused with what all this terminology however, I play an 8 string Alvarez and it is lowered one full step.
So to me, the guitar is now tuned D to D.
I use medium gauge strings when I tune it this way.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Smile TMI

WAY Too much technical info, for my poor head this morning.

If it sounds good, it IS good.

John K built my customs to sound spectacular in D concert or open D with elixir HD lights and 25” scale. He succeeded wonderfully.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion