The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2014, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

I believe this is a discussion about acoustic guitars ? Many have commented on the PRS solid electrics - known around here as ""Spanking Planks" (I;m sorry but I spent too many year driving drum kits beside Marshall stacks screaming and booming by my side and I've totally had enough of electric rock/blues guitar noise and the poseurs who play them).

All I know about PRS is that they make expensive electrics and cheap acoustic guitars, but they have "encouraged" some very fine acoustic players away from makers like Stefan Sobell in order to promote their stuff.

Also, I believe that it was news that PRS would go into acoustics that prompted Bill Collings to go into Electrics.

Acoustic guitars made for/by electricians are probably never going to appeal to me.

I've just searched for their website - and all, their acoustics (or Electro-acoustics) seem to look pretty much the same with different names on the headstock.

....but I'm always ready to be further advised.

I can't find any of the higher grade PRS guitars on sale inthe USA - ever dealer's PRS page is full of funny coloures planks.

I'll be seeing Martin Simpson in concert next Friday. I hope he'll be playing his Sobells.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I believe this is a discussion about acoustic guitars ? Many have commented on the PRS solid electrics - known around here as ""Spanking Planks" (I;m sorry but I spent too many year driving drum kits beside Marshall stacks screaming and booming by my side and I've totally had enough of electric rock/blues guitar noise and the poseurs who play them).

All I know about PRS is that they make expensive electrics and cheap acoustic guitars, but they have "encouraged" some very fine acoustic players away from makers like Stefan Sobell in order to promote their stuff.
The high end made-in-the-US PRS acoustics are neither cheap nor cheaply made.

Quote:
Also, I believe that it was news that PRS would go into acoustics that prompted Bill Collings to go into Electrics.
I seriously doubt that's true. Collings was making electrics for several years before PRS put any acoustic guitars on the market.

Quote:
Acoustic guitars made for/by electricians are probably never going to appeal to me.

I've just searched for their website - and all, their acoustics (or Electro-acoustics) seem to look pretty much the same with different names on the headstock.

....but I'm always ready to be further advised.

I can't find any of the higher grade PRS guitars on sale inthe USA - ever dealer's PRS page is full of funny coloures planks.

I'll be seeing Martin Simpson in concert next Friday. I hope he'll be playing his Sobells.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one...

whm
Old 07-20-2014, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Of course, Doug can make lots of guitars sound great. I think it sounds better dropped down fingerstyle than flat-picked. Strummed I didn't like it at all.

That is a LOT of $$. I can think of many brands I'd consider first, including McPherson.

Last edited by M19; 07-20-2014 at 05:56 AM. Reason: added comments
Old 07-20-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

I love brand bashing when its coupled with complete ignorance

PRS are one of the most respected electric guitars in the world. Any serious bluesman would kill for a PRS.

and......I lost interest in arguing because you're preposterously ignorant about guitars.
Unfortunately he is correct in every aspect; the poly finish makes the guitars look like they were dipped in glass it's that thick, their amps are no more than 'boutique' designs and ridiculously costly for what they are, and their acoustics haven't made much of an impact. Probably for a very good reason...
Insults won't help your case.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchman View Post
You're right - very few blues artists use PRS guitars. I'll phone Al di Meola and Alex Lifeson and let them know this important fact.
Good-seeing as neither are blues players.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Default not all heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
My friends at Acoustic Music.org have 3 in stock at this time. They are great guitars. You may find they are or aren't your taste but someone will play them and make great music with them. The first one I heard was as loud and clear as a grand piano. Then I saw Tony McManus play his there, that was pretty OK too! Please don't say anything negative about these guitars unless it's "they are a little on the heavy side" or maybe you don't like the neck profile, or maybe you don't like the bird inlays. The price is inline with other quality guitars. The most outstanding feature is Fit and Finish which is second to none.
The first 3 or 4 I played were as heavy as a truck..but the last one I played at Guitar Center in the used room was so light!!It was a great guitar!! I was surprised when I strummed it and it sounded great. Can't remember what the price was but it was up there..I personally don't like the "look" of the PRS acoustics..like a more vintage look. But, "that" guitar, I could see someone wanting to own.. I totally understand the PRS electrics. Just go see Jason Aldean..I'm pretty sure both of his guitar players play PRS's..and Santana does pretty good with them too...
Old 07-20-2014, 06:21 AM

Whatever the tonal qualities of the high end PRS acoustics--not talking the middle range models at Guitar Center and the like--they do not seem to have generated a great deal of market interest. It would be interesting to find out whether the company had aspirations of eventurally competing with some of the big name makers in the production of large numbers of higher end guitars. In other words, were their sights set on the high end range of Martin, Taylor, etc. rather than merely competing with smaller volume custom makers? If so, the sales momentum seems to be lacking so far.

By the way, I've not played the top end PRS acoustic guitars. The lower priced ones have seemed rather overbuilt, overfinished, and tonally quiet to my ear.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 07-20-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaragio View Post
My PRS Tonare is simply the best guitar I have ever owned. The tone is fantastic. The voicing leans towards a modern sound, which means a more even eq profile, but it blows away my other guitars. The only negative is the weight, but I can live with that. Saying that PRS acoustics are not the equal or IMHO superior to other high end acoustic brands is simply ridiculous.
It's funny how strong the options are from the completely uniformed. Thanks for posting! Speaking of even eq, my friend Ian was playing one last week and I was 15 feet out front. It sounded like i was listening to a high quality stereo recording rather than an acoustic guitar. It projects a wide soundstage and is not tightly focused like we're used to hearing from an acoustic guitar. That's very desirable for a solo performer.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Here's a shot of PRS playing toss the guitar with his daughter at the PRS Experience. Although usually held in September, it's being cancelled for this year due to other event planning for their 30th anniversary celebration. The PRS Experience is a great opportunity to tour the factory, meet PRS builders, try out as many guitars and amps as you like, and see some top notch performers. Factory tours are not guided-one has a chance to wander around, try stuff out, and ask questions of anyone...

Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-20-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 AM

Default What's the deal with Paul Reed Smith guitars?

I have been fortunate enough to have access to all PRS guitars because I live close to Dallas. I personally have been impressed with all of their acoustics; from the lowest end SE which I now own to their expensive boutique acoustics. I have grown very attached to my Angelus SE in a very short amount of time and use it to replace two other guitars that are going up for sale when I have time. Ironically, it is the only guitar I own that any of my guitar playing family members have also grown fond of.

As always, if I run across a PRS that I like better than something I already have to fill it's role then I will buy it.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:16 AM

I've played about 6 PRS' a few years ago when they first hit the Platinum GC's, they were all the high enders before the lower line even came out, $6K and up.

To be fair IMO they are modern voiced and I am a vintage guy, but I've been playing for 50 years and pretty sure I can still objectively evaluate an acoustic guitar for what it is, even if it isn't in my consideration.

They are heavy, as in heavy, the fit and finish are very good, but a mirror finish often also indicates a heavy finish. This is personal but I don't like the neck profile, and neither did anybody else, it was uncomfortable.

The tone is very balanced, on every one I played, but it is also "sterile" as in nondescript, with your back to it no one is going to say "Oh, that's a PRS", there is no signature sound. No growl or edge, they are tame.

You are not going to win many Martin/Collings/Bourgeois/Santa Cruz/H&D players, not the voicing family they want, and certainly not something the bluegrassers will want.

So, IMO your target market is the modern voiced guitar players, Taylors, McPherson, McKnight, some Breedlove and Goodall, etc. And the PRS' bring nothing new to that table and are very expensive, in a room full of modern voiced guitars you aren't going to go "wow that PRS really stands out", they are very very vanilla.

Obviously all this is my opinion, and somebody is going to say how wonderful they are, fine. I counter with their sales and market penetration which is dismal, they do not sell well, GC was moving them around the larger stores trying to get them to move, and when Taylor brings everything to the table they do at a much lower price point, you have a product looking for a market.

I buy high end guitars, and I play everything I run into in that range, whether in my personal preferences or not. If I were a modern voice fan I would look at PRS as expensive, nothing new, no signature voicing, heavy and with an unusual neck profile and move on. Apparently that is what is really happening....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I've played about 6 PRS' a few years ago when they first hit the Platinum GC's, they were all the high enders before the lower line even came out, $6K and up.

You are not going to win many Martin/Collings/Bourgeois/Santa Cruz/H&D players, not the voicing family they want, and certainly not something the bluegrassers will want

I buy high end guitars, and I play everything I run into in that range, whether in my personal preferences or not. If I were a modern voice fan I would look at PRS as expensive, nothing new, no signature voicing, heavy and with an unusual neck profile and move on. Apparently that is what is really happening....
I own a high end martin, Santa Cruz and a Huss and Dalton and they've sat in their cases for months due to my PRS.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qiuNPB6Mal4

As for bluegrass players Ricky Skaggs seem to do alright with his PRS and I prefer mine for flat picking as well. BTW Steve Fischer designed this guitar not PRS. If I presented you this guitar as a "Steve Fischer" I'm sure the reaction would be totally different.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post

Rich, with all due respect, don't embarrass yourself. We are talking about a guitar many professionals use to make a living. They are recording TV and movie soundtracks. They are soloist performing around the world with recording contracts. They aren't playing "smoke on the water" in their basement like you and I. Your ability to afford a nice stable of Martins doesn't qualify you as an expert. These are tools for professional musicians.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Humanist

The foe of knowledge is not ignorance, but ignorance of ignorance.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Rich, with all due respect, don't embarrass yourself. We are talking about a guitar many professionals use to make a living. They are recording TV and movie soundtracks. They are soloist performing around the world with recording contracts. They aren't playing "smoke on the water" in their basement like you and I. Your ability to afford a nice stable of Martins doesn't qualify you as an expert. These are tools for professional musicians.

Being real, isn't it just sponsorship dollars at work? The PRS ones are probably perfectly good guitars and if you were paid to play one, you probably would. Perhaps that is one reason why they cost so much. If not for sponsorship, it would seem me to be madness to get one when you could get a Collings or Froggy Bottom or whatever for the same amount of money. But that's just me.

Heck, there is a guy in NYC that is paid to play Walden guitars -- forget his name -- and even though they basically suck, he's a great player and gets a super sound out of them. The reality is that a sophisticated pro can make anything sound good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion