The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
AND.....wrong again! It's "you're", not "your". (Merciless, aren't I).
Resurrecting a three year old thread just to correct someone's spelling goes way beyond mercilessness.

And if you want correct grammar and punctuation, it would be 'Merciless, am I not?'

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 04-29-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:47 AM

OP - Thanks for mentioning the James Taylor video! This addresses some issues with tuning I've been concerned about. Very Cool!

Ooops, didn't realize this was such an old post .
Old 05-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Wow! I didn't realize this was an old thread of mine (3 years old!) that got resurrected!

I guess you can't keep a "good thread" down!

40YRFMBLR - glad you found the JT video useful. It's been so long I guess I should watch it again!

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 05-05-2017, 06:12 PM

I got the Peterson StroboSoft app for the iPhone a few days ago, after discovering that my previous tuner app on the phone would no longer be supported by the next version of IOS. I purchased the sweetened tunings package as well as the basic app, so the total cost was $16, and then I ordered the clip-on pickup, which ran me another $13. But basically, for $29, I've got the functional equivalent of the $79 Peterson SC-1 clip-on. So far, I'm very happy with it. I'm back and forth with the ACU sweetened tuning, but there's no doubt that I'm getting a better and faster tuning than I usually get with my Snark clip-on.

Ray
Old 10-05-2017, 01:58 PM

Default Fat Tuna

A little self serving -- I have written a guitar tuner, to satisfy my own needs. It's an iOS (iPhone) app and is available here:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fatt...162230320?mt=8

You can get 1million copies for $1m. Or I suppose you can get one for $1.

Enjoy!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
After watching James Taylor's video on how to tune a guitar, I realized none of my tuners provide the level of detail (cents) required to tune to his exacting standards. I'm curious to see if this tuning method miraculously allows me to play like JT!

Any recommendations for a good tuner that displays cents?

In case you haven't seen JT's tuning method, the link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2xnXArjPts

Thanks!
Wow, I did not see your post, and just watched this, and posted about it !!! I love it, and it helps confirm what my ears have telling me. Now I want a cents meter-tuning.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:33 PM

Peterson has been making very high quality tuners for a very long time. I remember a huge beast of a tuner when I was in high school 50 years ago.

Just a couple of observations:

I have yet to see a scientific study that agrees that humans can hear even a 2 cent difference in pitch.

I've seen videos of both Tommy E. and Molly T. using Snark tuners. They seem to do OK with them. I have a few, and while I now use TC Electronic tuners I can still play in tune with a Snark.

I don't get the lower strings anywhere near far enough out of pitch to use the JT tuning. I'm pretty sure it's because I don't use a great deal of RH finger pressure on the strings.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-30-2023, 09:56 AM

I'm resurrecting a 9-year-old post that has been resurrected at least once already ... but my question still is are there any soundhole tuners ... except for the Peterson unit ... that offers calibrations by cents?

I did find a free tuner for my Android but the reading seems very "jumpy" ... of course that could be because of my phone's capabilities and background noise.

I have two Unituners and both delight me ... but I'm looking for something like that but with the ability to show cents. I would have thought some other manufacturer would have come out with a tuner with that function.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion